Page 11 of 16 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast
  1.    14 Feb 2015 #101
    Join Date : Nov 2013
    Land of 10,000 lakes
    Posts : 10,382
    W10 Pro, W10 Home

    Quote Originally Posted by Lee View Post
    To all. . .It really does not bother me to reinstall a new system when a problem occurs. I know that some you have different views on how to go about dealing with virus, albeit mine is to do a complete clean install regardless of what caused the problem. . .thus I am sure of gutting the situation so it doesn't happen again. As to backups Jay I do have them and at time will employ that method. My thing though is that I enjoy doing rebuilds/reinstalls. . .
    Fair enough. While patience is an issue for me, I think the biggest problem with doing a re-install is all the updates needed. I am on a metered internet connection and those updates for both W7 & W8 eat up a lot of my allotted data.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  2.    14 Feb 2015 #102
    Join Date : Oct 2014
    Posts : 1,555
    W7 32 bit, Linux Mint Xfce 18 64 bit

    Quote Originally Posted by LittleJay View Post
    Fair enough. While patience is an issue for me, I think the biggest problem with doing a re-install is all the updates needed. I am on a metered internet connection and those updates for both W7 & W8 eat up a lot of my allotted data.
    LittleJay,

    You can't get unmetered connection in Minnesota or would it cost you to much?
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  3.    14 Feb 2015 #103
    Join Date : Nov 2013
    Land of 10,000 lakes
    Posts : 10,382
    W10 Pro, W10 Home

    Quote Originally Posted by groze View Post
    LittleJay,

    You can't get unmetered connection in Minnesota or would it cost you to much?
    The problem is, I live out in the country and the only options I have are either wireless or satellite. Satellite might not be metered, I'm not sure about that, but I know people in the area, who switched to wireless, because satellite service wasn't as dependable. It's also much slower 4G.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  4.    14 Feb 2015 #104
    Join Date : Oct 2014
    Posts : 1,555
    W7 32 bit, Linux Mint Xfce 18 64 bit

    Quote Originally Posted by LittleJay View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by groze View Post
    LittleJay,

    You can't get unmetered connection in Minnesota or would it cost you to much?
    The problem is, I live out in the country and the only options I have are either wireless or satellite. Satellite might not be metered, I'm not sure about that, but I know people in the area, who switched to wireless, because satellite service wasn't as dependable. It's also much slower 4G.
    I don't know if you live near a local rural landline telephone company. I live near one. FCC is providing funds to expanded internet service to the rural area. From what I understand they can choose between Wireless internet service or DSL or another method. They are also supposed to provide a low cost internet service if the family is low income. FCC is still working out the details of this. I was actually hoping my rural landline phone company would expand into my city, but not yet. They said there were going to try and make their wireless internet services cheaper than comcast for those that don't want Comcast or another provider we have. They also told me getting funds from the FCC is a real slow process. The only issue I have is the security from the computer to the tower.


    There are rumors (Sorry, no links) that Internet Service cost could double including the Economy service by next year (2016).
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  5.    14 Feb 2015 #105
    Join Date : Nov 2013
    Land of 10,000 lakes
    Posts : 10,382
    W10 Pro, W10 Home

    Quote Originally Posted by groze View Post
    I don't know if you live near a local rural landline telephone company. I live near one. FCC is providing funds to expanded internet service to the rural area. From what I understand they can choose between Wireless internet service or DSL or another method. They are also supposed to provide a low cost internet service if the family is low income. FCC is still working out the details of this. I was actually hoping my rural landline phone company would expand into my city, but not yet. They said there were going to try and make their wireless internet services cheaper than comcast for those that don't want Comcast or another provider we have. They also told me getting funds from the FCC is a real slow process. The only issue I have is the security from the computer to the tower.


    There are rumors (Sorry, no links) that Internet Service cost could double including the Economy service by next year (2016).
    The closest town big enough to have a land line phone office is 18 miles away, so DSL isn't in the picture. I sure hope those rumors of internet service costs doubling are not true. If that would be the case, I might have to give up being online.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  6.    14 Feb 2015 #106
    Join Date : Oct 2014
    Posts : 1,555
    W7 32 bit, Linux Mint Xfce 18 64 bit

    Quote Originally Posted by LittleJay View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by groze View Post
    I don't know if you live near a local rural landline telephone company. I live near one. FCC is providing funds to expanded internet service to the rural area. From what I understand they can choose between Wireless internet service or DSL or another method. They are also supposed to provide a low cost internet service if the family is low income. FCC is still working out the details of this. I was actually hoping my rural landline phone company would expand into my city, but not yet. They said there were going to try and make their wireless internet services cheaper than comcast for those that don't want Comcast or another provider we have. They also told me getting funds from the FCC is a real slow process. The only issue I have is the security from the computer to the tower.


    There are rumors (Sorry, no links) that Internet Service cost could double including the Economy service by next year (2016).
    The closest town big enough to have a land line phone office is 18 miles away, so DSL isn't in the picture.


    I sure hope those rumors of internet service costs doubling are not true. If that would be the case, I might have to give up being online.
    You are not the only one.



    It doesn't really matter how far the landline phone office is for dsl that not where it matters. It is the location to local switching office. I know you have to be close for dsl or the fastest would be 112 kbps from what I understand I am not to technical in that area. However, that is improving or actually changing in some areas. They are replacing the landline cords with fiber cords-this caries signals further and at faster speeds. Also, even if you can't get dsl or fiber the local phone company might have or will get wireless internet service. My rural landline phone company does have wireless internet service but right know it is costly.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  7.    15 Feb 2015 #107
    Join Date : Nov 2013
    Land of 10,000 lakes
    Posts : 10,382
    W10 Pro, W10 Home

    Quote Originally Posted by groze View Post
    You are not the only one. It doesn't really matter how far the landline phone office is for dsl that not where it matters. It is the location to local switching office. I know you have to be close for dsl or the fastest would be 112 kbps from what I understand I am not to technical in that area. However, that is improving or actually changing in some areas. They are replacing the landline cords with fiber cords-this caries signals further and at faster speeds. Also, even if you can't get dsl or fiber the local phone company might have or will get wireless internet service. My rural landline phone company does have wireless internet service but right know it is costly.
    I should have said the local phone companies DSL switching office is 18 miles away. The population of the township I live in is small, so the possibility of fiber optics coming our way any time soon are remote. What I'm hoping is that the major wireless providers will start competing with each other more, kind of like Sprint's latest promotion of cutting your current bill in half if you join up. Unfortunately for me Sprint doesn't have the greatest coverage out here. Our two best choices are Verizon or AT&T. But like you say, if the local phone companies get into the wireless business, that may help a lot. Fingers crossed.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  8.    15 Feb 2015 #108
    Join Date : Feb 2015
    Posts : 197
    Windows 10 Pro

    I've always complained about uninstallers not doing a CLEAN uninstall. Just remove what you installed in the first place. Is that so hard?
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  9.    15 Feb 2015 #109
    Join Date : Jan 2014
    Oak Ridge TN, USA
    Posts : 24,523
    Windows 10 Pro x64

    Quote Originally Posted by Slugger View Post
    I've always complained about uninstallers not doing a CLEAN uninstall. Just remove what you installed in the first place. Is that so hard?
    The issue is the current uninstaller leaves behind some traces.
    So, while it's easy it's not as good as it could be.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  10.    15 Feb 2015 #110
    Join Date : Feb 2015
    Northern Vermont, USA
    Posts : 13
    Windows 10

    I beg to differ. My computer is loaded with legacy apps and it runs just fine. In fact, all but two run nicely under Win 10, and those were easily replaced. After all, if a program does what you need it to, and it runs fine under whatever OS you're using, why replace it with something new? If it ain't broke....
      My ComputerSystem Spec

 
Page 11 of 16 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast


Similar Threads
Thread Forum
New Flash zero-day targets Windows, Mac users
Source
Windows 10 News
Users Want Windows 10 to Be Bloatware-Free
Source
Windows 10 News
Windows 9 to users: I'm listening
http://images.techhive.com/images/idge/imported/imageapi/2014/07/09/13/slide_063014-windows9-1-100355294-primary.idge.jpg The Windows 9 public preview coming at the end of the month is going to ask for feedback almost to the point of...
General Support
Alert Windows 8.1 users.
http://www.pcworld.com/article/2153712/windows-8-1-update-requirement-pushed-to-june-10.html
General Support
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 23:54.
Find Us
Twitter Facebook Google+ Ten Forums iOS App Ten Forums Android App



Windows 10 Forums