Page 10 of 16 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast
  1.    14 Feb 2015 #91
    Join Date : Nov 2013
    Idaho USA
    Posts : 4,826
    OS X, Win 10

    Quote Originally Posted by rmonroe36 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Lee View Post
    Okay, now how does this harm the OS or cause problems. The reason for asking is over the years I cannot ever remember having a problem, BSOD, or any other situation caused by installing or uninstalling a program. . .now it may be that I have just been lucky. Also, don't remember using Programs and Features to remove a piece of software and then having a problem. The only reason I now use iOrbit uninstaller is so I don't have to go through and do a manual cleanup of the register as I did in the past.
    There are occasions, for example, when Windows Uninstaller is unable to do its job because of virus or other malware infections. I have had to use Avast's special uninstaller as well as MalwareBytes uninstaller on relatives' and friends' computers. But generally, I think that most users don't run into these type of problems. That's why it is handy to have Revo or Iobit at the ready.

    https://www.avast.com/en-us/uninstall-utility

    https://helpdesk.malwarebytes.org/hc...-Anti-Malware-

    Rich
    Not sure, but your point may be on point, albeit if I have a virus (only twice since Win 2000 I immediately do a compete new install. . .cannot really see attempting to clean up the mess that a virus or even malware may cause. . .just pointless to do so. . .
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  2.    14 Feb 2015 #92
    Join Date : Oct 2014
    Mid-Hudson Valley, NYS
    Posts : 273
    Windows 10 Insider Program, Linux Mint 18.2, LinuxLite, Ubuntu 17.10

    Quote Originally Posted by Lee View Post
    Not sure, but your point may be on point, albeit if I have a virus (only twice since Win 2000 I immediately do a compete new install. . .cannot really see attempting to clean up the mess that a virus or even malware may cause. . .just pointless to do so. . .
    Point well taken. It often takes much time to "clean up" an infected machine. There are times when I will do as you do: complete new install.

    Rich
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  3.    14 Feb 2015 #93
    Join Date : Nov 2013
    Land of 10,000 lakes
    Posts : 10,382
    W10 Pro, W10 Home

    Quote Originally Posted by rmonroe36 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Lee View Post
    Not sure, but your point may be on point, albeit if I have a virus (only twice since Win 2000 I immediately do a compete new install. . .cannot really see attempting to clean up the mess that a virus or even malware may cause. . .just pointless to do so. . .
    Point well taken. It often takes much time to "clean up" an infected machine. There are times when I will do as you do: complete new install.

    Rich
    Just a thought. But how about keeping system images stored on a separate HDD? I hate doing new installs, because they are so time consuming. Especially for an older OS like W7 with all the updates that need to be restored as well.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  4.    14 Feb 2015 #94
    Join Date : Jun 2014
    Posts : 5,544
    Windows 10 Pro

    Using a image is much easier and quicker than a new install. I have my images on a USB hard drive. The only time I have it hooked to the computer is when I'm making or restoring a image.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  5.    14 Feb 2015 #95
    Join Date : Jul 2014
    Serbia
    Posts : 10,594
    W10 Insider + Linux

    Quote Originally Posted by LittleJay View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by rmonroe36 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Lee View Post
    Not sure, but your point may be on point, albeit if I have a virus (only twice since Win 2000 I immediately do a compete new install. . .cannot really see attempting to clean up the mess that a virus or even malware may cause. . .just pointless to do so. . .

    Point well taken. It often takes much time to "clean up" an infected machine. There are times when I will do as you do: complete new install.

    Rich
    Just a thought. But how about keeping system images stored on a separate HDD? I hate doing new installs, because they are so time consuming. Especially for an older OS like W7 with all the updates that need to be restored as well.
    That's just fine and highly desirable anyway but a bit drastic just to get rid of one or couple of programs. Would have to make backup every time you want to try a program. Too time consuming and hard on disks. That's like killing an elephant for one steak or using shotgun on a flea, Good uninstaller and most of extra stuff is gone, nothing simpler.
      My ComputersSystem Spec
  6.    14 Feb 2015 #96
    Join Date : Nov 2013
    Land of 10,000 lakes
    Posts : 10,382
    W10 Pro, W10 Home

    Quote Originally Posted by Winuser View Post
    Using a image is much easier and quicker than a new install. I have my images on a USB hard drive. The only time I have it hooked to the computer is when I'm making or restoring a image.
    Down through the years I have bought a fair number of HDD's that I use for storing images on. I have both an e-SATA and USB 3 HDD dock, so I can easily do regular backups of all my data as well as system images. With having the OS installed on an SSD, creating or restoring a system image with Macrium takes about 2 minutes max for W8 or 10 and about 3 minutes for W7.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  7.    14 Feb 2015 #97
    Join Date : Oct 2014
    Posts : 1,555
    W7 32 bit, Linux Mint Xfce 18 64 bit

    Quote Originally Posted by Lee View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by groze View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Lee View Post
    Okay, now how does this harm the OS or cause problems. The reason for asking is over the years I cannot ever remember having a problem, BSOD, or any other situation caused by installing or uninstalling a program. . .now it may be that I have just been lucky. Also, don't remember using Programs and Features to remove a piece of software and then having a problem.
    Lee, this will you. I agree with a you.
    Sometimes things just work out in strange ways. . .Thanks. . .
    I always thought BSODs were caused by faulty drivers, Windows itself not installing correctly, ACPI not recognized correctly, Virus, Malware or spyware, incorrect windows boot setting, or bad hardware.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  8.    14 Feb 2015 #98
    Join Date : Jul 2014
    Serbia
    Posts : 10,594
    W10 Insider + Linux

    Quote Originally Posted by groze View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Lee View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by groze View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Lee View Post
    Okay, now how does this harm the OS or cause problems. The reason for asking is over the years I cannot ever remember having a problem, BSOD, or any other situation caused by installing or uninstalling a program. . .now it may be that I have just been lucky. Also, don't remember using Programs and Features to remove a piece of software and then having a problem.
    Lee, this will you. I agree with a you.
    Sometimes things just work out in strange ways. . .Thanks. . .
    I always thought BSODs were caused by faulty drivers, Windows itself not installing correctly, ACPI not recognized correctly, Virus, Malware or spyware, incorrect windows boot setting, or bad hardware.
    And faulty entries in registry.
      My ComputersSystem Spec
  9.    14 Feb 2015 #99
    Join Date : Nov 2013
    Idaho USA
    Posts : 4,826
    OS X, Win 10

    To all. . .It really does not bother me to reinstall a new system when a problem occurs. I know that some you have different views on how to go about dealing with virus, albeit mine is to do a complete clean install regardless of what caused the problem. . .thus I am sure of gutting the situation so it doesn't happen again. As to backups Jay I do have them and at time will employ that method. My thing though is that I enjoy doing rebuilds/reinstalls. . .
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  10.    14 Feb 2015 #100
    Join Date : Jan 2015
    Posts : 391
    Windows 10

    I do too, but it still takes at least a day to install all updates.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

 
Page 10 of 16 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast


Similar Threads
Thread Forum
New Flash zero-day targets Windows, Mac users
Source
Windows 10 News
Users Want Windows 10 to Be Bloatware-Free
Source
Windows 10 News
Windows 9 to users: I'm listening
http://images.techhive.com/images/idge/imported/imageapi/2014/07/09/13/slide_063014-windows9-1-100355294-primary.idge.jpg The Windows 9 public preview coming at the end of the month is going to ask for feedback almost to the point of...
General Support
Alert Windows 8.1 users.
http://www.pcworld.com/article/2153712/windows-8-1-update-requirement-pushed-to-june-10.html
General Support
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:48.
Find Us
Twitter Facebook Google+ Ten Forums iOS App Ten Forums Android App



Windows 10 Forums