Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast
  1.    08 Feb 2016 #61
    Join Date : Dec 2015
    Posts : 6,444
    Windows10

    Quote Originally Posted by pitbullpup View Post
    I for one would ditch Microsoft for good if they started some crap like that. I would only use apple for everything then.
    And do you think Apple would not introduce this if it became the norm on Windows?
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  2.    08 Feb 2016 #62

    I doubt that MS will offer just a subscription OS. I beleive someday they will offer one (as they have the patent on the name Windows 365). It's too much to cut off the users that have lead to a 90% market share and dropt the desktop product. By have the cloud and desktop at the same time users could ease into moving to cloud OS.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  3.    08 Feb 2016 #63
    Join Date : Dec 2013
    Sydney, Nova Scotia, Canada
    Posts : 10,616
    Windows 10 IoT

    Quote Originally Posted by Kari View Post
    I am not talking about my case, nor yours. I am talking about an alternative.

    Do you really mean that because you personally will not need and want a subscription option, it automatically means that such an option is not needed and should not be introduced? That the decision should be made according to your personal needs and wishes?
    Ah, you did say "The average lifetime of my computers is about two years... " I took that to mean you were talking about your personal situation. In any case I do see your point, and why you might want to do it. I still don't think it makes sense for most people, just my opinion though. For the average consumer, said device will be pre licensed by the OEM. Why pay to license it again? The exception will be those that build their own desktop PC's. And even then, that's just one or two PC's maybe. Anyway, your for it and I'm just not buying into it. As long as I can still have a pay once option, I don't care if they do it or not.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  4.    08 Feb 2016 #64

    Quote Originally Posted by Winuser View Post
    Just to make my view more clearer. I would be against paying a subscription just to keep using Windows 10. If MS wanted to charge a reasonable yearly fee to get upgrades for Windows 10 I wouldn't have a problem with that. I also don't want to pay for updates. When I wanted to go from XP to Vista I paid. When I wanted to go from Vista to Windows 7 I paid. When I wanted to go from Windows 7 to Windows 8 I paid. Except for the name Of Windows 10 not being changed, How is this going to be any different? I like the way MS is giving us upgrades for free and I hope it last. I just don't see upgrades remaining free unless MS finds another way to profit with Windows 10. I also hope they don't start using ads in Windows 10 to generate money.
    Once you get to Windows 10 there won't be any more upgrade only updates. So you would be paying a rate to keep using Windows 10 and receive the updates that make you stay current.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  5.    08 Feb 2016 #65
    Join Date : Oct 2013
    A Finnish expat in Germany
    Posts : 13,127
    Windows 10 Pro

    Quote Originally Posted by alphanumeric View Post
    Ah, you did say "The average lifetime of my computers is about two years... " I took that to mean you were talking about your personal situation.
    Just to finish this from my side, I naturally know that a concept as the one I described will never be true.

    Yes, I used myself as an example of a user who might benefit if a subscription option was available. But you seem to totally ignore the fact that I have very clearly been talking about a concept, an alternative to the traditional retail model, about something that would interest me and I am sure quite a number of other users. Not my case, not your case but an option, an alternative.

    As opposed to you, I do not even try to force this idea to other users. I do not think like you clearly do that because I like the current way, no other options should be available. As far as I am concerned you are free to buy your Windows in the future exactly as you'd prefer. I do not think that because I would like a subscription option as an alternative for the "pay once use the lifetime of a device" model and benefit from it, therefore that should be the only option.

    I wholeheartedly allow Microsoft to make the decisions, I will not post nor tell here or anywhere else that because I like the idea they need to do it and make it the only available option. What I wish and hope does quite often not correspond with the reality. I know that.

    Really, quite funny: The only thing I have said and posted is an imaginary concept coined up by me. How provocative is that?
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  6.    08 Feb 2016 #66
    Join Date : Dec 2013
    Sydney, Nova Scotia, Canada
    Posts : 10,616
    Windows 10 IoT

    Quote Originally Posted by Kari View Post
    Just to finish this from my side, I naturally know that a concept as the one I described will never be true.

    Yes, I used myself as an example of a user who might benefit if a subscription option was available. But you seem to totally ignore the fact that I have very clearly been talking about a concept, an alternative to the traditional retail model, about something that would interest me and I am sure quite a number of other users. Not my case, not your case but an option, an alternative.

    As opposed to you, I do not even try to force this idea to other users. I do not think like you clearly do that because I like the current way, no other options should be available. As far as I am concerned you are free to buy your Windows in the future exactly as you'd prefer. I do not think that because I would like a subscription option as an alternative for the "pay once use the lifetime of a device" model and benefit from it, therefore that should happen and be the only option.

    I wholeheartedly allow Microsoft to make the decisions, I will not post nor tell here or anywhere else that because I like the idea they need to do it and make it the only option. What I wish and hope does quite often not correspond the reality.

    Really, quite funny: The only things I have said and posted is an imaginary concept coined up by me. How provocative is that?
    Excuse me, but where exactly did I try to force my Idea on anybody? You are clearly trying to put words in my mouth that I never said, and I would advise you to stop doing it right now. I have said all along, from the very beginning, that I don't care if they do or don't do it. As long as I have my buy once option. I have also said several times that I see your point? I am really getting tired of your soap box attitude and insinuating remarks. And I don't really care what you have to say from this point forward. I'm putting you back on my ignore list and unsubscribing from this thread.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  7.    08 Feb 2016 #67
    Join Date : Oct 2013
    A Finnish expat in Germany
    Posts : 13,127
    Windows 10 Pro

    My apologies for misunderstanding your words. Let's let the conversation advance without any more references to this concept of mine.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  8.    08 Feb 2016 #68
    Join Date : Aug 2014
    Florida
    Posts : 659
    W10 FCU & W10 Insider

    I don't think a MS subscription will change my status? My work allows me to install O365 on my home computer and keep it as long as I am employed. My college Alma mater does the same, assuming for life. I have yet to take advantage of either because up until last year, my employer participated in the HUP program which just about included all the office suite programs. I ordered a backup dvd just in case. See if any of these options may be available to you
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  9.    08 Feb 2016 #69
    Join Date : Oct 2014
    Posts : 941
    Windows 8.1, Win10Pro

    I got Win8 for $40 and upgraded to Win8.1 for free. Even though Win10 is free upgrade, I wouldn't object to paying $40 one-time fee for it, or even a little more. But monthly subscription -- NO.

    I can see the advantage of using something like Office 365 for $100 a year because it comes (I think) with five license limit. That breaks down to $20 a license -- which makes it a lot cheaper than buying the Home version.

    If MS came out with Extras (like they were GOING to do with a prior OS), then I could see charging a fee for those, but those would have to be optional -- and given that Win10 already has everything I need, I would not buy them.

    I did a rough tally on the thread so far and the ration of drop-to-keep regarding Win10 becoming a subscription model is around 5 to 1.

    Now THAT would surely hurt MS's 200 MILLION users count if 80% suddenly dropped Win10 due to a subscription model being put in place!
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  10.    08 Feb 2016 #70
    Join Date : Oct 2014
    Posts : 2,507
    W10 Pro + W10 Preview

    There has certainly been a lot of hot air expended on this thread, coupled with the odd fractious response.
    Face the facts, M$ will never charge for the licence to use the O/S, what they are really after is the more conscripts the better.
    Google have for years been creaming off billions with their search engine, so much so that they are now one of the richest and largest corporates in the world.
    Now M$ with Bing and Cortana wish to dip their noses in what is a very lucrative trough.
      My ComputersSystem Spec

 
Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast


Similar Threads
Thread Forum
Windows 10's privacy invading features aren't gone in Threshold 2
Read an article on Windows privacy today. Just wondering what you guys think of this? Windows 10t gone in Threshold 2
General Support
Solved PC upgraded windows 8.1 to 10 not happening?
I have just upgraded pc and done a fresh install of windows. Antec 1200 case. Cooler Master Hyper 212+ CPU cooler. Vengeance LPX 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4 PC4-25600C16 3200MHz RAM Crucial SSD MX100 512 GB . 500 GB HDD. 1200W PSU. Gigabyte Z170X...
Installation and Upgrade
Solved BIOS startup not happening
Until I did a Windows 10 fresh install my PC was set in the BIOS (and still remains the same) set to startup the PC at a predetermined time everyday. ASROCK H77. And it did so daily until the Windows 10 Pro install. Did the update first to activate....
General Support
Bsod Relating To ntoskrnl.exe Been Happening For A While Please Help
41467
BSOD Crashes and Debugging
BSOD happening every day now
I started getting this bsod a few weeks ago. Lately the screen is unreadable when everything crashes however before it started doing that I would get WHEA_uncorrectable_error. Any help would be appreciated. I've attached the debug folder like...
BSOD Crashes and Debugging
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 14:53.
Find Us
Twitter Facebook Google+ Ten Forums iOS App Ten Forums Android App



Windows 10 Forums