1. Joined : Oct 2014
    Posts : 1,542
    W7 32 bit, Linux Mint Xfce 18 64 bit
       03 Feb 2015 #1

    MS not ready to say "What Supported Lifetime of the Device means"


    Microsoft Not Yet Ready to Describe What "Supported Lifetime of the Device" Means for Windows 10

    There's been much debate over Terry Myerson's echoing statement about the free upgrade for Windows 10 users at the company's grand event on January 21, 2015.

    Terry said this…
    This is more than a one-time upgrade: once a Windows device is upgraded to Windows 10, we will continue to keep it current for the supported lifetime of the device – at no additional charge.
    The debate is over what exactly "supported lifetime of the device" really means. And, there's the rub: It would seem that Microsoft doesn't yet know, either.


    The debate is over what exactly "supported lifetime of the device" really means. And, there's the rub: It would seem that Microsoft doesn't yet know, either.
    In a blog post last week that talked about Microsoft's new servicing ideas for Windows 10 in business situations, and outlined how Windows 10 will not be a free upgrade for SA customers, Microsoft's Jim Alkove reiterated the free upgrade for consumers, but a set of guiding asterisks (**) led to the following clarification:
    **Details on our device’ supported lifetime policy will be shared at a later time.
    So, it would appear that the company is still working out the details, and we have nothing truly to debate-yet.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  2. Joined : Oct 2014
    Polk County Texas USA
    Posts : 11,718
    Windows 10 Insider Preview
       03 Feb 2015 #2

    I think supported is the key word here. Generally a computer is warranted for one year, so would that be the supported lifetime?

    We all know that computers last much, much longer than a year; I'm working on a 5-year-plus old computer. It's a good one, but a little long in the tooth. Display leaves something to be desired, and I can't wait to get a new one in mid-February and give this one back to my son-in-law. But I digress.

    So, if this laptop lasts a few more years, and I don't see why not, will Windows 10 just stop working when Microsoft figures out what its supported lifetime is?
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  3. Joined : Oct 2014
    Posts : 1,542
    W7 32 bit, Linux Mint Xfce 18 64 bit
       03 Feb 2015 #3

    Wynona said: View Post
    I think supported is the key word here. Generally a computer is warranted for one year, so would that be the supported lifetime?

    We all know that computers last much, much longer than a year; I'm working on a 5-year-plus old computer. It's a good one, but a little long in the tooth. Display leaves something to be desired, and I can't wait to get a new one in mid-February and give this one back to my son-in-law. But I digress.

    So, if this laptop lasts a few more years, and I don't see why not, will Windows 10 just stop working when Microsoft figures out what its supported lifetime is?
    My computer is out of warranty. I didn't buy an extend warranty. I hope Microsoft decides the definition before they release the consumer preview. I read several posting here and other places, no one can seem to agree what the supported lifetime of the device is. Everyone has opinions though. Some think it is a really big deal and others think it is not a big deal. They are also concerned with windows as a service.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  4. Joined : Jan 2014
    Oak Ridge TN, USA
    Posts : 23,936
    Windows 10 Pro x64
       04 Feb 2015 #4

    I'm going to take a stab at this. The way I interpret this is that MS will provide support as long as you keep Win10 on the same PC/Device. Now the trick will be what if you change some of the hardware on the PC/Device. I think that you should be able to change/repair your PC/Device and still retain the support but MS needs to clarify the meaning of the support.

    Just my 2c, YMMV
    Jeff
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  5.    04 Feb 2015 #5

    Hi there

    I wouldn't get into these sorts of issues at this stage of the game -- The current build doesn't expire UNTIL OCTOBER which gives people a nice long time to test it. There will be a few more builds I suspect on the way so it could be possible that these builds won't expire until say April 2016 even.

    These issues will have become a lot clearer by then. If as a lot ARE doing now -using W10 as their everyday OS then I hope they've taken a backup of the previous OS otherwise they *could be* caught out.

    If you aren't sure then another problem can arise if you decide to upgrade or buy new software. You really need to do it on both the OLD release and the new one.

    If activation / licensing conditions only allow use on 1 computer it gets slightly more problematical but what I'd do is install on W8 / W8.1, Backup the computer and then re-upgrade to W10 again. That way you get the best of both worlds.

    Cheers
    jimbo
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  6. Joined : Nov 2013
    Houston
    Posts : 1,394
    Win-7Prox64 Win-8.1Prox64 Win-10Prox64
       04 Feb 2015 #6

    When the hardware is not supported anymore or it dies,
    I often wondered why Vista was excluded in the free upgrade offer many have the same spec's as 7 machines many Vista machines have been upgraded to 7 and 8 for that matter,
    I'm sure Microsoft will elaborate in it's usual circular logic fashion eventually and raise more questions than it attempted to clear up or answered
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  7. Joined : Oct 2014
    Polk County Texas USA
    Posts : 11,718
    Windows 10 Insider Preview
       04 Feb 2015 #7

    jimbo45 said: View Post
    Hi there

    I wouldn't get into these sorts of issues at this stage of the game -- The current build doesn't expire UNTIL OCTOBER which gives people a nice long time to test it. There will be a few more builds I suspect on the way so it could be possible that these builds won't expire until say April 2016 even.

    These issues will have become a lot clearer by then. If as a lot ARE doing now -using W10 as their everyday OS then I hope they've taken a backup of the previous OS otherwise they *could be* caught out.

    If you aren't sure then another problem can arise if you decide to upgrade or buy new software. You really need to do it on both the OLD release and the new one.

    If activation / licensing conditions only allow use on 1 computer it gets slightly more problematical but what I'd do is install on W8 / W8.1, Backup the computer and then re-upgrade to W10 again. That way you get the best of both worlds.

    Cheers
    jimbo
    Very true, Jimbo. But it never hurts to discuss contingencies.

    IIRC, past previews/betas have always expired well past the time of RTM, so it's conceivable that Windows 10 could see a final release before October 15. Then again, maybe we'll get a longer testing time unlike in the past. Who knows!?

    I will not "spend" any of my Windows 8.1 on a free upgrade; I'm pretty sure that once you upgrade it, you lose it. Hopefully MS will give us the opportunity of an early purchase at a much discounted price. This ferret likes to have her cake and eat it too.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  8. Joined : Oct 2014
    Posts : 1,542
    W7 32 bit, Linux Mint Xfce 18 64 bit
       04 Feb 2015 #8

    Wynona said: View Post
    jimbo45 said: View Post
    Hi there

    I wouldn't get into these sorts of issues at this stage of the game -- The current build doesn't expire UNTIL OCTOBER which gives people a nice long time to test it. There will be a few more builds I suspect on the way so it could be possible that these builds won't expire until say April 2016 even.

    These issues will have become a lot clearer by then. If as a lot ARE doing now -using W10 as their everyday OS then I hope they've taken a backup of the previous OS otherwise they *could be* caught out.

    If you aren't sure then another problem can arise if you decide to upgrade or buy new software. You really need to do it on both the OLD release and the new one.

    If activation / licensing conditions only allow use on 1 computer it gets slightly more problematical but what I'd do is install on W8 / W8.1, Backup the computer and then re-upgrade to W10 again. That way you get the best of both worlds.

    Cheers
    jimbo
    Very true, Jimbo. But it never hurts to discuss contingencies.

    IIRC, past previews/betas have always expired well past the time of RTM, so it's conceivable that Windows 10 could see a final release before October 15. Then again, maybe we'll get a longer testing time unlike in the past. Who knows!?

    I will not "spend" any of my Windows 8.1 on a free upgrade; I'm pretty sure that once you upgrade it, you lose it. Hopefully MS will give us the opportunity of an early purchase at a much discounted price. This ferret likes to have her cake and eat it too.
    Wynona,
    of course when you upgraded you can't use the old license whether it is retail or oem. Doesn't mean you can't go back by abandoning windows 10. Microsoft may not allow uninstall the same way you can in the windows 10 preview. You may need to either restore from an image or reinstall the old operating system,

    Let say if they did block they old key. It wouldn't work for pre-activated oem computers like mine. If it deactivated mine, it would deactivate everyone elses pre-activated provided they have the same computer. Those other computers will pop up with a message saying not genuine.

    Also, don't they reset/remove the OEM/Retail key after 180 days from the activation server. This is so you can do more upgrades without you having to call Microsoft.
    Last edited by groze; 04 Feb 2015 at 14:43.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  9. Joined : Oct 2014
    Polk County Texas USA
    Posts : 11,718
    Windows 10 Insider Preview
       04 Feb 2015 #9

    groze said: View Post
    Also, don't they reset/remove the OEM/Retail key after 180 days from the activation server. This is so you can do more upgrades without you having to call Microsoft.
    They used to do that, Groze, but I don't think it happens any more. Can't remember for sure, but I think they stopped removing the keys with Windows 7. Too many people were taking advantage of the loophole.

    For me, the simplest course of action is a clean install. And yep, I'm sure Brink will come up with instructions for that for those of us who want to upgrade with a clean install.

    Regardless of opinions, for me a clean install works. YMMV
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


 


Similar Threads
Thread Forum
Not display the "Life at a glance" and "Play and explore" columns
Hi In Windows 10, how I do not display the "Life at a glance" and "Play and explore" columns of the Start menu? Thanks Bye
General Support
"The CPU isn't supported" error true or not
I have gotten the app in my Windows 7 system. There was the warning/error "The CPU isn't supported", but still said "Your upgrade is reserved!" I assumed that the reservation would over-run the error. I thought: why would windows 10 accept the...
Installation and Setup
Windows 10 Latest Build "For Gamers" Is it Ready for Primetime?
I enjoy any "Brink run" Windows site as they seem to have lots of knowledgeable,helpful people. I understand that the Nvidia Geforce Windows 10 Forum would be posters with issues but, man, SLI issues, game stuttering issues (with Directx 12?), G...
Gaming
F5 VPN client "Network Access Connection - Device was not found"
Hi all - I use a F5 VPN to connect to work and have recently (IIRC) experienced issues connecting while using Win10/10130. F5 doesn't have any info. Has anyone else seen similar issues?
Network and Sharing
All device installs fail with"Realtek bluetooth suite doesn't work on"
anyone seen this? build 10166, lenovo yoga 2. lots of missing devices, all driver packages for said devices bail out at install with the same message "Realtek bluetooth suite doesn't work on this PC", regardless of device. searched high and low via...
Drivers and Hardware
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 19:29.
Find Us
Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 10 Forums