Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    03 Feb 2015 #1
    Join Date : Oct 2014
    Posts : 17,143
    Windows 10 Insider Preview Build 16281

    Windows for Androids Too


    Microsoft's Windows 10 for IoT: What to expect | ZDNet

    The Windows 10 mobile SKU will run on both Intel- and ARM-based tablets and phones, according to that same slide. (I believe is the coming version of Windows 10 for Windows Phones and small tablets that is due to go to preview in February.) The Compact/Athens SKUs, which also run on both Intel- and ARM-based devices, is for resource-constrained devices that need to run Universal Apps. The next version of the .Net Micro Framework, designed for wearables, small sensors and equipment like vending machines.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  2.    03 Feb 2015 #2
    Join Date : Oct 2014
    Posts : 17,143
    Windows 10 Insider Preview Build 16281
    Thread Starter

    It looks like I may be able to have Windows 10 on my two 'droid tablets!

    Microsoft Office for Android tablets has just been released, but is lacking in the area of compatibility with a number of devices, including Intel processors and OSes lesser than KitKat or Lollipop. One of mine will run it and one won't. I'd much rather have a Windows tablet (can't afford the Surface) than an Android one, so this is good news to me.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  3.    03 Feb 2015 #3
    Join Date : Dec 2013
    Sydney, Nova Scotia, Canada
    Posts : 10,188
    Windows 10 IoT

    Quote Originally Posted by Wynona View Post
    It looks like I may be able to have Windows 10 on my two 'droid tablets!

    Microsoft Office for Android tablets has just been released, but is lacking in the area of compatibility with a number of devices, including Intel processors and OSes lesser than KitKat or Lollipop. One of mine will run it and one won't. I'd much rather have a Windows tablet (can't afford the Surface) than an Android one, so this is good news to me.
    Your quote mentions Microsoft Office for Android tablets, not Windows?
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  4.    03 Feb 2015 #4
    Join Date : Dec 2013
    Sydney, Nova Scotia, Canada
    Posts : 10,188
    Windows 10 IoT

    It will be interesting to see how they release that, and how you install it. Drivers may be an issue? I'm pumped about the Raspberry Pi version that is in the works. If it will run on a Pi it should be doable on an android tablet.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  5.    03 Feb 2015 #5
    Join Date : Oct 2014
    Posts : 17,143
    Windows 10 Insider Preview Build 16281
    Thread Starter

    Quote Originally Posted by alphanumeric View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Wynona View Post
    It looks like I may be able to have Windows 10 on my two 'droid tablets!

    Microsoft Office for Android tablets has just been released, but is lacking in the area of compatibility with a number of devices, including Intel processors and OSes lesser than KitKat or Lollipop. One of mine will run it and one won't. I'd much rather have a Windows tablet (can't afford the Surface) than an Android one, so this is good news to me.
    Your quote mentions Microsoft Office for Android tablets, not Windows?
    Sure did, Alpha. I participated in the Preview and although it works well on my RCA tablet, it will not install on my HP Slate 10 HD tablet because I still have JellyBean on it and it doesn't seem as if HP will ever get around to upgrading the OS.

    In all fairness, because of the limited amount of storage on tablets, lots of conveniences were left out. Still, if you're out in the boonies and need to make some notes, prepare for a presentation or create a spreadsheet, it can be done.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  6.    03 Feb 2015 #6
    Join Date : Dec 2013
    Sydney, Nova Scotia, Canada
    Posts : 10,188
    Windows 10 IoT

    Quote Originally Posted by Wynona View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by alphanumeric View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Wynona View Post
    It looks like I may be able to have Windows 10 on my two 'droid tablets!

    Microsoft Office for Android tablets has just been released, but is lacking in the area of compatibility with a number of devices, including Intel processors and OSes lesser than KitKat or Lollipop. One of mine will run it and one won't. I'd much rather have a Windows tablet (can't afford the Surface) than an Android one, so this is good news to me.
    Your quote mentions Microsoft Office for Android tablets, not Windows?
    Sure did, Alpha. I participated in the Preview and although it works well on my RCA tablet, it will not install on my HP Slate 10 HD tablet because I still have JellyBean on it and it doesn't seem as if HP will ever get around to upgrading the OS.

    In all fairness, because of the limited amount of storage on tablets, lots of conveniences were left out. Still, if you're out in the boonies and need to make some notes, prepare for a presentation or create a spreadsheet, it can be done.
    OK, your thread title was Windows for Android Tablets, and then you talked about office. It just confused me a bit. I see what your saying though. Interesting times, to say the least.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  7.    03 Feb 2015 #7
    Join Date : Jan 2014
    Washington
    Posts : 302
    Windows 10 10586

    That would be pretty awesome, but the reality is that android tablets or phones aren't like PCs in the way they can boot off an external device and have a foreign OS be installed.

    It's possible, but only if you know what to do.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  8.    03 Feb 2015 #8
    Join Date : Oct 2014
    Posts : 17,143
    Windows 10 Insider Preview Build 16281
    Thread Starter

    Quote Originally Posted by alphanumeric View Post
    OK, your thread title was Windows for Android Tablets, and then you talked about office. It just confused me a bit. I see what your saying though. Interesting times, to say the least.
    Just wanted to see iffen ya were payin' attention.

    What I was trying to point out is that if Windows comes to 'droid, I can have Office for Windows tablets instead of Office for Android. Guess I did a belly flop. There'll still be some missing conveniences though.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  9.    03 Feb 2015 #9
    Join Date : Oct 2014
    Posts : 17,143
    Windows 10 Insider Preview Build 16281
    Thread Starter

    Quote Originally Posted by Coke Robot View Post
    That would be pretty awesome, but the reality is that android tablets or phones aren't like PCs in the way they can boot off an external device and have a foreign OS be installed.

    It's possible, but only if you know what to do.
    Hey Mr. Robot, if they can make Windows machines run IoS and Macs run Windows, I don't see the problem with getting Windows to run on an ARM or Intel processor.

    Of course, I'm oversimplifying things, but you know how that goes in the world of computers.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  10.    03 Feb 2015 #10
    Join Date : Oct 2014
    Posts : 17,143
    Windows 10 Insider Preview Build 16281
    Thread Starter

    Just been over to the Raspberry PI thread and it has an ARM processor and Microsoft is going to build Windows 10 for it too!

    Methinks MS wants to rule the whole computer world!
      My ComputerSystem Spec

 
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 22:51.
Find Us
Twitter Facebook Google+ Ten Forums iOS App Ten Forums Android App



Windows 10 Forums