Windows 10: Announcing Windows 10 Insider Preview Build 14257 Insider

Page 4 of 25 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

  1. Posts : 730
    Windows 1.00 to Windows 10 Pro 64-bit Build 14971.1000
       04 Feb 2016 #31

    fjk61011 said: View Post
    From other thread:

    I've been away for a week. When I booted up 14251 was there and installed with no problem. I decided to clean install today with the ESD to ISO route. The install failed half way through so I've reinstalled 11102. 14251 has not showed up in update yet.

    New:

    Woke up today, Thursday, and 14257 was there. Downloaded and installed now. Has anyone successfully clean installed 14257 using the ESD to ISO route?
    I cleaned installed in Hyper-V and 14257 is installed now.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  2.    04 Feb 2016 #32

    fjk61011 said: View Post
    Woke up today, Thursday, and 14257 was there. Downloaded and installed now. Has anyone successfully clean installed 14257 using the ESD to ISO route?
    Lots of people are complaining about clean installing being a problem since 14251 on MDL. The workaround is to make an ISO with winre.wim instead of install.wim.

    I've done a clean install with winre.wim and it works fine - I didn't try the install.wim as it was known not to work (perhaps it sometimes does but I could see no point in testing it).
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  3. Posts : 510
    Windows 10 Pro 64bit; Windows 10 TP; KDE Neon
       04 Feb 2016 #33

    I'd like to add that the Services seem to work fine now - no crashing.

    Now...

    I'd like to report something else here - because more people will see it - and it has to do with Office 2016. A couple of minutes ago I received an update for my Office 2016 Professional Plus. I use the "standalone" (desktop) version. Nothing to do with the Cloud. Additionally, I am not using an MS account, neither have I ever used an MS account on this installation, it being my main OS since the very beginning.

    BEFORE (the update)

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	o.PNG 
Views:	5 
Size:	42.4 KB 
ID:	62357


    AFTER
    (the update)

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	oafter.PNG 
Views:	4 
Size:	51.4 KB 
ID:	62358

    Does anyone have ANY idea, please, why and how am I all of the sudden an Office 2016 Insider when I have never - ever opted in for something like this?

    All this happened on my Main OS, Windows 10 Pro, and not on my Insider Build installation, which I keep on a separate SSD and no software is installed, besides CCleaner Pro and HWiNFO64. Absolutely nothing there.

    What are the implications of this change? I do not mind being an Office Insider, as well, as long as EVERYTHING will function PERFECTLY on my Office installation!

    Thank you.
    Last edited by Joanne; 04 Feb 2016 at 08:21.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  4. Posts : 8,345
    Windows 10 Professional
       04 Feb 2016 #34

    System Restore seems to be ON by default with a clean install of Build 14257
      My ComputersSystem Spec


  5. Posts : 14,404
    Windows 10 Insider Preview
       04 Feb 2016 #35

    Joanne said: View Post
    Does anyone have ANY idea, please, why and how am I all of the sudden an Office 2016 Insider when I have never - ever opted in for something like this?

    All this happened on my Main OS, Windows 10 Pro, and not on my Insider Build installation, which I keep on a separate SSD and no software is installed, besides CCleaner Pro and HWiNFO64. Absolutely nothing there.

    What are the implications of this change? I do not mind being an Office Insider, as well, as long as EVERYTHING will function PERFECTLY on my Office installation!

    Thank you.
    Joanne, I noticed you're on "First Release for Current Branch" which equates to the "Fast Ring" on Windows 10. I've been struggling to stay on it!

    If you're comfy going into the registry:

    Go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Office\ClickToRun\Configuration and check the CDNBaseURL.
    If you see http://officecdn.microsoft.com/pr/64...6-8840a6a4f5be this is the one that is supposed to give Insider updates.

    Edit: Oh, crumb, TF shortened the URL.
    officecdn.microsoft.com/pr/64256afe-f5d9-4f86-8936-8840a6a4f5be

    If this one shortens, I'll try something else.

    Edit #2: So far, everything Office has worked perfectly for me on this E3 installation.

    Another thought: If I'm not mistaken, only those using "Home" O365 are actual Insiders. My installation is pretty much stand-alone, but I can't get into the Insider program because it's business.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  6. Posts : 510
    Windows 10 Pro 64bit; Windows 10 TP; KDE Neon
       04 Feb 2016 #36

    Wynona said: View Post
    Joanne, I noticed you're on "First Release for Current Branch" which equates to the "Fast Ring" on Windows 10. I've been struggling to stay on it!

    If you're comfy going into the registry:

    Go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Office\ClickToRun\Configuration and check the CDNBaseURL.
    If you see http://officecdn.microsoft.com/pr/64...6-8840a6a4f5be this is the one that is supposed to give Insider updates.

    Edit: Oh, crumb, TF shortened the URL.
    officecdn.microsoft.com/pr/64256afe-f5d9-4f86-8936-8840a6a4f5be

    If this one shortens, I'll try something else.
    Thank you, Wynona, for your quick response!

    So, this means that I was in the "Fast Ring" of Office 2016 from the very beginning and now an update happened to be available so I got it? It is the first time, though, that I see this "Office Insider" in my Office.

    I went in my Registry and you are right:

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	r.png 
Views:	5 
Size:	45.7 KB 
ID:	62368

    So, is the conclusion that from now on I am an Office 2016 Insider? What good and how much of a help am I going to be though, since Office is installed on my Main OS, which never had and does not use an MS account, and in addition it is fully modified (customized) according to my personal preferences - which "struggle" to cut every possible feedback and information trying to reach the MS servers - and I am succeeding, while the OS functions perfectly - no further comment on this subject.

    And is Office going to work flawlessly? Nevermind, rhetorical question, how can anyone possibly know? I'll discover it myself, anyway, since this period I am all into video tutorials on the Office suite (and Lynda.com is amazing!...)

    Thank you.

    PS: a clean installation is a very nice thing and it takes me only 15 minutes.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  7. Posts : 14,404
    Windows 10 Insider Preview
       04 Feb 2016 #37

    Joanne said: View Post
    Thank you, Wynona, for your quick response!

    So, is the conclusion that from now on I am an Office 2016 Insider? What good and how much of a help am I going to be though, since Office is installed on my Main OS, which never had and does not use an MS account, and in addition it is fully modified (customized) according to my personal preferences - which "struggle" to cut every possible feedback and information trying to reach the MS servers - and I am succeeding, while the OS functions perfectly - no further comment on this subject.

    And is Office going to work flawlessly? Nevermind, rhetorical question, how can anyone possibly know? I'll discover it myself, anyway, since this period I am all into video tutorials on the Office suite (and Lynda.com is amazing!...)

    Thank you.

    PS: a clean installation is a very nice thing and it takes me only 15 minutes.
    You're very welcome, Joanne. I just clicked on "update now" and I'm now on the same build as you.
    Videos are OK as far as they go, but I need printed instructions so I can refer back to them. That said, I do use Professor Teaches a good bit, since I have the DVD and can refer back on that, but it's a chore.

    I almost bought an Office 365 In Depth book last night, but it didn't cover Skype for Business nor OneDrive for Business, so I put it back. Sigh . . . Nobody seems to have written anything on those yet.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  8. Posts : 8,345
    Windows 10 Professional
       04 Feb 2016 #38

    This build is pretty snappy, and I've got it on a 'spinner' as a secondary!
    Still quite a few bugs floating around though, but it's early, I'll let it baste awhile!
      My ComputersSystem Spec


  9. Posts : 964
    dual boot W10 10586th2/14291 rs1 Win. Insider since Jan. 2015
       04 Feb 2016 #39

    All done 14257 installed while I was in bed it's 0:632 been up since 05:30 watching FBN on the TV. I thought I would log onto Windows and check this flight out while Obama makes his want to make make me gag teleprompted gag speech .☻.........14257 Seems to be working fine ( so far ) .

    I had to roll back 14251 to 11102 ,14251 did not play nice here and no matter what I did it would not open Chrome. So far this one looks fine and is decently fast .

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	winver1511-14257 rs1.PNG 
Views:	82 
Size:	34.7 KB 
ID:	62386
    Last edited by blutos cousin; 04 Feb 2016 at 10:14.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  10. Posts : 964
    dual boot W10 10586th2/14291 rs1 Win. Insider since Jan. 2015
       04 Feb 2016 #40

    Wynona said: View Post
    You're very welcome, Joanne. I just clicked on "update now" and I'm now on the same build as you.
    Videos are OK as far as they go, but I need printed instructions so I can refer back to them. That said, I do use Professor Teaches a good bit, since I have the DVD and can refer back on that, but it's a chore.

    I almost bought an Office 365 In Depth book last night, but it didn't cover Skype for Business nor OneDrive for Business, so I put it back. Sigh . . . Nobody seems to have written anything on those yet.
    Apache Open Office 4.1.2 ( free ) is decent and has all the usual office stuff and spread sheets and generally plays nice with MS Word and MS office ,One Drive or Google Docs

    I don't know about Skype and O.O. but there is probably an Open Office Wiki there anyway .....One drive is to slow ......I prefer Google DOCS although I did triple my ISP speed Monday for the new 4K 55" Sony XBR TV next to me in here for 4 K HDR Netflix ,You tube and Amazon Prime video ................so maybe it's faster now .:shrug:

    I use Open Office on the W10 test builds and all 4 W 10 PC's here with MS Word on them even though I have MS Office 2010 on the other NTFS partition on *this box I use that now and then also .
    OTOH MS Office is more refined and polished than Open Office but O. O. works also.

    https://openoffice.apache.org/downloads.html
      My ComputerSystem Spec


 
Page 4 of 25 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Related Threads
Source: Announcing Windows 10 Insider Preview Build 10576 | Windows Experience Blog How to Start or Stop Receiving Insider Builds in Windows 10 How to Check for and Install Windows Updates in Windows 10
644928570393890816 Source: Announcing Windows 10 Insider Preview Build 10547 | Blogging Windows How to Start or Stop Receiving Insider Builds in Windows 10
Just available on my machine. AMEN. Rich 22747 UPDATE: Whoa! Another Windows 10 PC build! Build 10159 - Windows 10 Forums
Source: http://blogs.windows.com/bloggingwindows/2015/05/20/announcing-windows-10-insider-preview-build-10122-for-pcs/ https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/2451-preview-builds-check-new-windows-10-builds.html UPDATES: 601080802793922560
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:33.
Find Us