Windows 10: More Users Move to Windows XP Ahead of Windows 10 Launch

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567
  1.    09 Feb 2015 #61

    dperecky said: View Post
    Their attitude is like- Well, you've got a car that runs fine, and would continue to run for the next 1,000,000 miles... but we are no longer making parts for it. So you need to throw your car away and buy our new model. Yes, a copy of Windows is cheaper than a car, but the principle is the same.
    A better analogy would be that your old car does not meet current emission, fuel economy, and crash safety standards and years of wear-and-tear causes it to no longer operate as well as it did when it was new. Sure legally you can continue to use your car, but then something happens (whether due to a part failing or simply someone else running a red light) and then This happens
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	old_vs_new_crash_test_video_4.jpg 
Views:	191 
Size:	75.5 KB 
ID:	12303

    While this would've happened if you had a newer car.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	old_vs_new_crash_test_video_3.jpg 
Views:	327 
Size:	77.0 KB 
ID:	12301
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  2. Posts : 3,188
    insider build 10586.3 win10 pro 64
       09 Feb 2015 #62

    sure not all of it compares, but I think the old car /old OS is a good comparison
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  3.    09 Feb 2015 #63

    caperjack said: View Post
    sure not all of it compares, but I think the old car /old OS is a good comparison
    I think it actually compares really well. If you know what you're doing and maintain your computer/car well it can last for a very long time, however you will eventually need to turn to third parties for patches and parts when the manufacturer no longer supports it. And the old system is still old, making it more risky compared to newer systems.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  4. Posts : 3,188
    insider build 10586.3 win10 pro 64
       09 Feb 2015 #64

    futurdreamz said: View Post
    caperjack said: View Post
    sure not all of it compares, but I think the old car /old OS is a good comparison
    I think it actually compares really well. If you know what you're doing and maintain your computer/car well it can last for a very long time, however you will eventually need to turn to third parties for patches and parts when the manufacturer no longer supports it. And the old system is still old, making it more risky compared to newer systems.
    iam all for the new system ,wish some of my old customers[still using used xp computers I sold them years ago ] would buy new win8 computers ,so I could ,make some money showing them how to use it ,lol
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  5. Posts : 62
    Windows 10 Home, build 10586.218
       09 Feb 2015 #65

    TechnoMage said: View Post
    If you can't believe 'articles' then how about personal experience?
    Experience, trumps guesswork and articles every time.

    Since 2005, the only ones of my customers who have upgraded from XP to a newer OS are the ones that had their old XP PC crash on them and they went to a local retail store and bought a new computer, oblivious to what OS was on it. Then it was my job to try to make the new PC look and act as much like XP as possible. I can do that!
    I came here to say exactly this. I work in IT shop and if I put it in rough percentage, 60% computers run Windows XP, 30% run Windows 7 and other 10% is either Windows Vista or Windows XP. In case you are wondering what's Vista doing there - bunch of old Acers had Vista licenses on them and were pretty cheap with it so when people were buying those, they got it almost for free and are still rocking it.

    There are many things you guys aren't thinking about, and that's what kind of hardware those older computers have. Many wouldn't be able to run Windows 7 or higher with smooth performance and if you already have a very old PC, you aren't very likely to invest bunch of money to upgrade and get more RAM, SSD and possibly better CPU on a very old socket (they can all be used parts, but they still cost money). There are many many companies that still work with Windows XP and either don't want to invest money and move to Windows 7 at least or they can't afford it.

    Not to mention software which is used in hospitals, schools or wherever - a lot of it was built for Windows XP, wasn't upgraded/updated properly and that's also why so many computers still run 32bit Windows - programs simply aren't compatible with 64bit and it would cost money to change that.

    On top of all that, there are also old devices such as POS printers, older inkjet printers and barcode readers which quite often don't work on anything newer than Windows XP.

    You should really stop thinking so simple and just because you love migrating - not everyone does and many people actually have a reason not to move. Or they simply have no reason to upgrade. Windows XP will still be used 5-10 years from now, there's no doubt about that and you just have to accept that
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  6.    09 Feb 2015 #66

    Clam said: View Post
    You should really stop thinking so simple and just because you love migrating - not everyone does and many people actually have a reason not to move. Or they simply have no reason to upgrade. Windows XP will still be used 5-10 years from now, there's no doubt about that and you just have to accept that
    Ok first of all, you work in an IT shop and you yourself admit that 60% of your income comes from supporting XP users (plus an additional 10% that are either XP or Vista users). I'd love to have some more details about the problems those 60-70% of users come in with. How many are recurring customers? How many are not the user or OS's fault (IE: hardware failure)? How many of the customers understand the problem to the extent that they can avoid it in the future? How many problems could the user have resolved themselves if they had an explanation of what the problem was?

    I sincerely do believe that many of these customers that come in with problems with XP systems sincerely do not understand how their computers function, much less how a newer OS would be beneficial to them. You talk and talk about people not upgrading because 7 and above doesn't support their bar code scanner/receipt printers/etc, and therein you reveal the flaw in your line of thinking: You are lumping consumer and business users together. Business users can potentially have THOUSANDS of dollars in equipment that will not support Windows 7 and above; but they also have IT - either in-house or a contract - that manages the computer systems and locks them down so that the lucky 1,000th visitor to that website doesn't get his prize. Sure there are probably many companies that don't have any IT system in place, but in not doing so they are opening themselves to risk and liability, even if from a disgruntled employee or customer. Consumers, on the other hand, are quite often idiots. Sure there are probably some that know what they're doing and have their system tidy and locked down tighter than a nun's knickers, but those are mostly a rarity. Quite often they simply don't know any better, and either actively refuse to learn about computers or have difficulty doing so. These are your customers. But not exactly. You only get the ones that consider their system non-functional, not the ones who paid good money because their computer told them it was infected or encrypted, or the ones that go watch the Lord of the Rings Trilogy while waiting for their computers to start up. These are the majority of people running Windows XP, not just the sample that you get in your shop.
    Last edited by FuturDreamz; 09 Feb 2015 at 21:10.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  7.    10 Feb 2015 #67

    futurdreamz said: View Post
    Clam said: View Post
    You should really stop thinking so simple and just because you love migrating - not everyone does and many people actually have a reason not to move. Or they simply have no reason to upgrade. Windows XP will still be used 5-10 years from now, there's no doubt about that and you just have to accept that
    Ok first of all, you work in an IT shop and you yourself admit that 60% of your income comes from supporting XP users (plus an additional 10% that are either XP or Vista users). I'd love to have some more details about the problems those 60-70% of users come in with. How many are recurring customers? How many are not the user or OS's fault (IE: hardware failure)? How many of the customers understand the problem to the extent that they can avoid it in the future? How many problems could the user have resolved themselves if they had an explanation of what the problem was?

    I sincerely do believe that many of these customers that come in with problems with XP systems sincerely do not understand how their computers function, much less how a newer OS would be beneficial to them. You talk and talk about people not upgrading because 7 and above doesn't support their bar code scanner/receipt printers/etc, and therein you reveal the flaw in your line of thinking: You are lumping consumer and business users together. Business users can potentially have THOUSANDS of dollars in equipment that will not support Windows 7 and above; but they also have IT - either in-house or a contract - that manages the computer systems and locks them down so that the lucky 1,000th visitor to that website doesn't get his prize. Sure there are probably many companies that don't have any IT system in place, but in not doing so they are opening themselves to risk and liability, even if from a disgruntled employee or customer. Consumers, on the other hand, are quite often idiots. Sure there are probably some that know what they're doing and have their system tidy and locked down tighter than a nun's knickers, but those are mostly a rarity. Quite often they simply don't know any better, and either actively refuse to learn about computers or have difficulty doing so. These are your customers. But not exactly. You only get the ones that consider their system non-functional, not the ones who paid good money because their computer told them it was infected or encrypted, or the ones that go watch the Lord of the Rings Trilogy while waiting for their computers to start up. These are the majority of people running Windows XP, not just the sample that you get in your shop.
    Just Wow. . .
      My ComputerSystem Spec


 
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Related Threads
Installation & Upgrade Move Users Folder Location in Windows 10 in Tutorials
How to Move Users Folder to another Location in Windows 10 The method described in this tutorial allows relocating Windows 10 main profile folder Users including all present and future user profiles and folders while installing Windows, before...
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 20:20.
Find Us