Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
  1.    07 Feb 2015 #31
    Join Date : Jan 2014
    Washington
    Posts : 302
    Windows 10 10586

    I think because of xp, that's why Microsoft might have decided to make 10 free for 7 and 8.1 users. Xp has to die and should already be dead. It's a skeleton in a coffin these days compared to the rest of computing.

    Is Windows 10 going to be delivered through Windows Update though? I wouldn't be surprised if it was.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  2.    07 Feb 2015 #32
    Join Date : Jan 2015
    Wesleyville
    Posts : 29
    Microsoft Windows 7/10

    Quote Originally Posted by Coke Robot View Post
    I think because of xp, that's why Microsoft might have decided to make 10 free for 7 and 8.1 users. Xp has to die and should already be dead. It's a skeleton in a coffin these days compared to the rest of computing.

    Is Windows 10 going to be delivered through Windows Update though? I wouldn't be surprised if it was.
    I'd imagine that would be the easiest way for average users. I hope they offer an ISO as I like to clean install, but the update seems logical. Also has there been any word for free updates to those on XP or Vista? Seems the word free, may open the door for those users whose only reason for not getting a new OS is based on pure cost alone.

    I think there are lot of people that are what I call "browser based" in the sense that the OS really woulndt matter what type it was, be it windows or Linux or OSX, just as long as there web browser of choice worked, as 99% of what they use a computer for is internet based. They don't see the need to update because their browser still works on XP, so "what's the point? I'm not spending money if this already works" (not too mention they don't understand the risk, but that's another topic) however, toss the word free and show off some of the on-line features and I'll bet many of the browser based folks would be willing to change.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  3.    07 Feb 2015 #33
    Join Date : Mar 2014
    Cape Breton Nova Scotia ,Canada
    Posts : 3,453
    insider build 10586.3 win10 pro 64

    Quote Originally Posted by TechnoMage View Post
    If you can't believe 'articles' then how about personal experience?
    Experience, trumps guesswork and articles every time.

    Since 2005, the only ones of my customers who have upgraded from XP to a newer OS are the ones that had their old XP PC crash on them and they went to a local retail store and bought a new computer, oblivious to what OS was on it. Then it was my job to try to make the new PC look and act as much like XP as possible. I can do that!

    One local retail store manager told me that about 30% of people buying new PC's with Windows 8 or 8.1, bring them back in total disgust.
    The bottom line is, that the new OS's are just not popular with the rank and file of computer users. Those are the home PC users that don't come to forums, or show up in magazine statistics.

    I've been an OS tester on every OS since Windows XP, and out of all of them, I still prefer XP-Pro-SP3, which I'm using right now.

    The only OS that may ever replace XP in my life, would be Windows 10. I can make it look and act pretty much like XP, with just a few insignificant differences. And, it comes with an admirable package of hardware drivers. So far, so good!
    I've installed it on a ten year old Desktop and a six year old laptop and it's running just fine on both.

    agree, I have win10 on a 8 year old Dell with Centrino Duo cpu,3gig ram ,and even runs quite nice on a Acer1 with atom cpu ,with 2gig ram ,as for device drivers ,the dell is missing 2 in device manager ,like a card reader and or Bluetooth device
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  4.    07 Feb 2015 #34

    Quote Originally Posted by Lee View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Indianatone View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Superfly View Post
    Off topic a bit, but I was shocked to see our local petrol station's convenience store running their POS (that is point-of-sale) on XP... (This is a large petroleum company for who I once did MIS web reporting during the XP days ...LOL) - anyway an excellent business oppotunity for me to rewrite that and get them "modern" (as partner's always get told)
    XP POS OS is still supported for several years yet......
    So, what's your point. . .
    Because Superfly thought it might've been XP running on the POS computer he saw, whereas he probably was seeing POS Ready 2009 running instead (which is still based on the Windows XP codebase)

    Additionally, the POS build is indeed supported until 2019, so it was applicable here in response to Superfly's comment.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  5.    07 Feb 2015 #35
    Join Date : Feb 2015
    Posts : 4
    XP Win 7 Win 8.1

    I have every windows since 3.1, I say XP is the most logical OS microsoft has made.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  6.    07 Feb 2015 #36
    Join Date : Sep 2014
    Posts : 236
    7, 10TP

    I always wonder at these sorts of discussions. It's very simple really. Most people are not interested in the OS or upgrading. Most people need to do certain tasks with their computers and nothing else. For them a PC is not a toy and not a hobby, it's a tool, just like a hammer. How often do you "upgrade" your hammer? Most people would answer - when it breaks. Same with computers.

    Why bother upgrading? Personally I buy new hardware when I have a new task for which the old hardware is insufficient. Or the old machine dies. Unless I buy new hardware, I don't see any reason to upgrade the OS or any of the software. For some software you need to pay a lot of money every year with small incremental improvements in the updated versions. My employer pays for those, I would never do it with my personal money. Same with the OS.

    So, I really don't see why should anyone be surprised that people still use XP. I also use XP - I have an old laptop which I use for some specific purpose. It runs XP and I don't plan on "upgrading" it. My main machine runs 7 and so far I don't see any reason to change to anything else, certainly not to 8, but even 10 is not that impressive so far.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  7.    07 Feb 2015 #37
    Join Date : Sep 2014
    Posts : 236
    7, 10TP

    I give you an example. I have an Android phone. Recently Google came up with the new version of the OS (Android 5). All the forums were buzzing with excitement. Recently the update came to my phone. The result - the phone is slower, battery life is much worse, some apps are misbehaving. I wish I did not press that"update" button. Because with phones it's very hard to go back - the manufacturers do not want to you to.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  8.    07 Feb 2015 #38

    Why would you move to an aging, insecure OS that's not optimised for modern hardware.
      My ComputersSystem Spec
  9.    07 Feb 2015 #39
    Join Date : Jan 2015
    Posts : 382
    Windows 10

    Quote Originally Posted by unifex View Post
    I give you an example. I have an Android phone. Recently Google came up with the new version of the OS (Android 5). All the forums were buzzing with excitement. Recently the update came to my phone. The result - the phone is slower, battery life is much worse, some apps are misbehaving. I wish I did not press that"update" button. Because with phones it's very hard to go back - the manufacturers do not want to you to.
    Well that is because Android is buttcakes. My BlackBerry Z30 Has improved by leaps and bounds with the upgrade to 10.2 and to 10.3.1. Performance is faster, battery life is longer, and there are more and more features and little tweaks.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  10.    08 Feb 2015 #40
    Join Date : Jan 2014
    Washington
    Posts : 302
    Windows 10 10586

    Quote Originally Posted by Berkey View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Coke Robot View Post
    I think because of xp, that's why Microsoft might have decided to make 10 free for 7 and 8.1 users. Xp has to die and should already be dead. It's a skeleton in a coffin these days compared to the rest of computing.

    Is Windows 10 going to be delivered through Windows Update though? I wouldn't be surprised if it was.
    I'd imagine that would be the easiest way for average users. I hope they offer an ISO as I like to clean install, but the update seems logical. Also has there been any word for free updates to those on XP or Vista? Seems the word free, may open the door for those users whose only reason for not getting a new OS is based on pure cost alone.

    I think there are lot of people that are what I call "browser based" in the sense that the OS really woulndt matter what type it was, be it windows or Linux or OSX, just as long as there web browser of choice worked, as 99% of what they use a computer for is internet based. They don't see the need to update because their browser still works on XP, so "what's the point? I'm not spending money if this already works" (not too mention they don't understand the risk, but that's another topic) however, toss the word free and show off some of the on-line features and I'll bet many of the browser based folks would be willing to change.
    Xp nor vista won't get the free update because Xp for starters is going to be 14 years old this year and the thinking of Microsoft is probably the fact that you should have already gotten your act together and upgraded to a later version. Vista won't get it because obviously, it was a train wreck from the get-go and if you were running vista, you knew that. Their thinking is that by Windows 7, you'd have gotten your act together and not be running a train wreck. Vista I can see that being a legit reason, Xp because of vista, might not be that solid.

    You underscored the necessity of Windows 8 to the crisply designed live tile. That is what the Windows PC, even macs for that matter, have basically come to; a mix of internet based usage with some local file based usage but the internet based stuff takes dominance. This is actually something I've found doing deployments of Windows 8 and explaining to people why things changed the way they did and the first question I always ask is, "What is the first thing you do when you turn on your PC, or your first program?" Literally, about 9 times out of 10 is starting an internet browser with 1 out 10 times being something that isn't a browser. From there it's either email or facetubes or something just internet based. That's nice and all, but having a singular window open with eight or more tabs open isn't the most effective way of doing things. An operating system built upon the concept of programs first and files first doesn't do internet first that well, hence why Windows 8 happened the way it did. It took your different browser tabs (or at least attempted) and plopped them into a little window on your Start Screen that is alive and feeds you updated bits information at a glance. It's an operating system that's now built on internet first principles. Windows 10 is making it now internet first, programs first, files first.

    That's really what needs to be instilled.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

 
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast


Similar Threads
Thread Forum
Installation & Upgrade Move Users Folder Location in Windows 10
How to Move Users Folder to another Location in Windows 10 The method described in this tutorial allows relocating Windows 10 main profile folder Users including all present and future user profiles and folders while installing Windows, before...
Tutorials
Microsoft Announces New Windows 10 Build Ahead of RTM
Source
Windows 10 News
Microsoft Renames Windows 10 Preview Ahead of RTM
Source
Windows 10 News
Microsoft Keeps Teasing Windows 10 Features Ahead of...
More
Windows 10 News
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 21:14.
Find Us
Twitter Facebook Google+ Ten Forums iOS App Ten Forums Android App



Windows 10 Forums