Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

  1. Joined : Oct 2013
    North West Indianapolis, Indiana
    Posts : 446
    Windows 7 Ultimate 64 Bit and VM
       06 Feb 2015 #21

    Superfly said: View Post
    Off topic a bit, but I was shocked to see our local petrol station's convenience store running their POS (that is point-of-sale) on XP... (This is a large petroleum company for who I once did MIS web reporting during the XP days ...LOL) - anyway an excellent business oppotunity for me to rewrite that and get them "modern" (as partner's always get told)
    XP POS OS is still supported for several years yet......
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  2.    06 Feb 2015 #22

    Seems Extended Support will end on April 12, 2016.

    WES7 goes through to 2019.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  3. Joined : Nov 2013
    Idaho USA
    Posts : 4,534
    OS X, Win 10
       06 Feb 2015 #23

    Indianatone said: View Post
    Superfly said: View Post
    Off topic a bit, but I was shocked to see our local petrol station's convenience store running their POS (that is point-of-sale) on XP... (This is a large petroleum company for who I once did MIS web reporting during the XP days ...LOL) - anyway an excellent business oppotunity for me to rewrite that and get them "modern" (as partner's always get told)
    XP POS OS is still supported for several years yet......
    So, what's your point. . .
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  4.    06 Feb 2015 #24

    Trust_No1 said: View Post
    labeeman said: View Post
    This is from Neowin, I have found most of their articles, fairly accurate and non-biased.

    It seems completely reasonable to me, that some people have software which will run on XP, so they use it, or they don't care about upgrading. Also even if Windows 10 is free for 7 and 8 users, there is no incentive to shift Vista or XP users to use it.

    I don't understand the indignation about the article, I liked XP (still do), it took me 3 years to switch over to Windows 7.
    Well first of all XP isn't available anymore. The article says the usage % has gone up that means people are coming form other OS's for it to gain %. Basically people that are linked to software that only runs in XP means that that software has been discontinued by the creator or the creator is not in business anymore. Software companies can't exist if they don't make money with their products. The biggest reason software runs in XP and not in Win 7, 8 or 10 would be it's 16 bit software. Processors have been 64 bit with AMD around 2000 and Intel shortly there after.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  5. Joined : Oct 2014
    Posts : 252
    windows 7
       06 Feb 2015 #25

    quite a few xpp loaded machines move via Ebay, but MS stepped in [to their credit] and offered big recyclers a deal they can't refuse, apparently, on volume licensing of Win7 specifically for refurbs. So if one is a careful shopper, the same corporate/gov't off-lease systems that a few months ago would ship with XP COA if not load, now can be had with Win7 at no real additional cost. i've bought them as low as $70 or so in fine shape [dell/HP top-tier machines]

    how many units are there out there with Linux Distros? See, in my view XP is a better "linux" than linux. its essentially free, way more compatible with a zillion devices, solid, efficient, runs well on light hardware, quite networkable, etc.

    orlbuckeye said: View Post
    Trust_No1 said: View Post
    labeeman said: View Post
    This is from Neowin, I have found most of their articles, fairly accurate and non-biased.

    It seems completely reasonable to me, that some people have software which will run on XP, so they use it, or they don't care about upgrading. Also even if Windows 10 is free for 7 and 8 users, there is no incentive to shift Vista or XP users to use it.

    I don't understand the indignation about the article, I liked XP (still do), it took me 3 years to switch over to Windows 7.
    Well first of all XP isn't available anymore. The article says the usage % has gone up that means people are coming form other OS's for it to gain %. Basically people that are linked to software that only runs in XP means that that software has been discontinued by the creator or the creator is not in business anymore. Software companies can't exist if they don't make money with their products. The biggest reason software runs in XP and not in Win 7, 8 or 10 would be it's 16 bit software. Processors have been 64 bit with AMD around 2000 and Intel shortly there after.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  6. Joined : Oct 2014
    Posts : 1,540
    W7 32 bit, Linux Mint Xfce 18 64 bit
       06 Feb 2015 #26

    Just for information from my own trial and error. Windows 7, 8.1 and 10 preview will run some 16 bit program using NTDVM but not all. However, if using 64 bit windows you won't be able to use 16 bit software. So, here is what I did. I searched for a Linux version and experimented for awhile. I found Lubuntu 64 bit 14.10 LTS (Yes, I said 64 bit) then added Xfce desktop, then added wine 32 bit. Now, I have no issues running 16 bit windows programs using Linux.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  7. Joined : Jan 2015
    Posts : 359
    Windows 10
       06 Feb 2015 #27

    groze said: View Post
    Just for information from my own trial and error. Windows 7, 8.1 and 10 preview will run some 16 bit program using NTDVM but not all. However, if using 64 bit windows you won't be able to use 16 bit software. So, here is what I did. I searched for a Linux version and experimented for awhile. I found Lubuntu 64 bit 14.10 LTS (Yes, I said 64 bit) then added Xfce desktop, then added wine 32 bit. Now, I have no issues running 16 bit windows programs using Linux.
    Wouldn't it be better to run it in Virtual PC? Then you would still be able to use a proper OS.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  8. Joined : Oct 2014
    Posts : 1,540
    W7 32 bit, Linux Mint Xfce 18 64 bit
       06 Feb 2015 #28

    futurdreamz said: View Post
    groze said: View Post
    Just for information from my own trial and error. Windows 7, 8.1 and 10 preview will run some 16 bit program using NTDVM but not all. However, if using 64 bit windows you won't be able to use 16 bit software. So, here is what I did. I searched for a Linux version and experimented for awhile. I found Lubuntu 64 bit 14.10 LTS (Yes, I said 64 bit) then added Xfce desktop, then added wine 32 bit. Now, I have no issues running 16 bit windows programs using Linux.
    Wouldn't it be better to run it in Virtual PC? Then you would still be able to use a proper OS.
    I don't like Virtual Machines. I kind of like Linux, not as much as I do Windows 7 though. I don't have any windows retail versions anyways.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  9. Joined : Oct 2014
    Posts : 455
    ,7,8.1 10TP 10upgrade,MINT
       06 Feb 2015 #29

    Where have the new XP users migrated from?
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  10. Joined : Oct 2014
    Posts : 455
    ,7,8.1 10TP 10upgrade,MINT
       06 Feb 2015 #30

    I can't claim responsibility for the extra XP's as in the last year, I have replaced one with 7, retired two, and the last one I,m keeping for old times sake. I have given the only full retail copy to a friend for a spare as he has a legacy program for his cnc mill which doesn't want to run on later Windows.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


 
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast


Similar Threads
Thread Forum
Users Folder - Move Location in Windows 10
How to Move Users Profile Folder to another Location in Windows 10 The method described in this tutorial allows relocating Windows 10 main profile folder Users including all present and future user profiles and folders while installing Windows,...
Tutorials
Microsoft Announces New Windows 10 Build Ahead of RTM
Source
Windows 10 News
Microsoft Renames Windows 10 Preview Ahead of RTM
Source
Windows 10 News
Microsoft Keeps Teasing Windows 10 Features Ahead of...
More
Windows 10 News
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 17:01.
Find Us
Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 10 Forums