Page 3 of 18 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
  1.    03 Feb 2015 #21
    Join Date : Nov 2013
    Toronto
    Posts : 4,661
    Win 10 Pro x64

    yes it can. You can use any phone charger or USB portable charger to run an RPi. The new RPi can also now run an external USB hard drive.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  2.    03 Feb 2015 #22
    Join Date : Dec 2013
    Sydney, Nova Scotia, Canada
    Posts : 10,608
    Windows 10 IoT

    The power pack I'm using now is rated at 2 A. I bought it at Adafruit. It was made with the Pi in mind. You can run into issues if your charger/power pack is only good for the normal 500 ma a USB port puts out. You need power to run any USB dongle you have plugged into the Pi's USB ports, plus what the Pi needs. WIFI dongles can be a little power hungry. The touch screen I have coming is USB powered also. It can be powered through another source though, which I am going to do.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  3.    03 Feb 2015 #23
    Join Date : Nov 2013
    Toronto
    Posts : 4,661
    Win 10 Pro x64

    I don't think there's still a power pack or USB charger under 1A these days anyway. You'll find mostly 2A. Good points.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  4.    03 Feb 2015 #24
    Join Date : Oct 2014
    Posts : 17,897
    Windows 10 Insider Preview Build 16281

    Quote Originally Posted by alphanumeric View Post
    I have a B+ and will be buying one of these as well. I was reading an article on it on the Hackaday site. I was happy to see that this new version should be able to run Android, the B+ I have won't. This is even better news though. I'm guessing this is a port of Windows RT?
    Alpha, I read somewhere that Windows RT is being retired? phased out? I just can't remember where I saw that.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  5.    03 Feb 2015 #25
    Join Date : Jan 2014
    Carencro, LA 70520
    Posts : 8,465
    Mint 18.3
    Thread Starter

    Quote Originally Posted by Wynona View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by alphanumeric View Post
    I have a B+ and will be buying one of these as well. I was reading an article on it on the Hackaday site. I was happy to see that this new version should be able to run Android, the B+ I have won't. This is even better news though. I'm guessing this is a port of Windows RT?
    Alpha, I read somewhere that Windows RT is being retired? phased out? I just can't remember where I saw that.
    Here You go.
    Windows RT Becomes the New Vista: Microsoft Kills Last Nokia Tablet Running It

      My ComputerSystem Spec
  6.    03 Feb 2015 #26
    Join Date : Oct 2014
    Posts : 17,897
    Windows 10 Insider Preview Build 16281

    Thank you, Bee Man! At least now I know I didn't lie.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  7.    03 Feb 2015 #27
    Join Date : Nov 2013
    Toronto
    Posts : 4,661
    Win 10 Pro x64

    Quote Originally Posted by Wynona View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by alphanumeric View Post
    I have a B+ and will be buying one of these as well. I was reading an article on it on the Hackaday site. I was happy to see that this new version should be able to run Android, the B+ I have won't. This is even better news though. I'm guessing this is a port of Windows RT?
    Alpha, I read somewhere that Windows RT is being retired? phased out? I just can't remember where I saw that.



    No surprise there. RT can't do much. It's like buying an android tablet. You only get to use it with apps. I would rather get an android. But I stopped using Android now. I only use my old HTC One X android phone to control my Raspbberry Pi.



      My ComputerSystem Spec
  8.    04 Feb 2015 #28
    Join Date : Dec 2013
    Sydney, Nova Scotia, Canada
    Posts : 10,608
    Windows 10 IoT

    The Pi has an ARM processor so you won't be able to use x86 desktop programs. It will be like Windows RT or Windows Phone. It won't be your full blown Windows 10. Microsoft may retire the "Windows RT" name but I think the concept is going to live on, on other devices.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  9.    04 Feb 2015 #29
    Join Date : Nov 2013
    Toronto
    Posts : 4,661
    Win 10 Pro x64

    Quote Originally Posted by alphanumeric View Post
    The Pi has an ARM processor so you won't be able to use x86 desktop programs. It will be like Windows RT or Windows Phone. It won't be your full blown Windows 10. Microsoft may retire the "Windows RT" name but I think the concept is going to live on, on other devices.

    Yeah, I am aware of that. RT will now belong to a long abandonware list that will be recycled for the Pi. The Raspbian Wheezy OS is actually a full working OS by itself. So I may stick with it.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  10.    04 Feb 2015 #30
    Join Date : Dec 2013
    Sydney, Nova Scotia, Canada
    Posts : 10,608
    Windows 10 IoT

    Quote Originally Posted by badrobot View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by alphanumeric View Post
    The Pi has an ARM processor so you won't be able to use x86 desktop programs. It will be like Windows RT or Windows Phone. It won't be your full blown Windows 10. Microsoft may retire the "Windows RT" name but I think the concept is going to live on, on other devices.

    Yeah, I am aware of that. RT will now belong to a long abandonware list that will be recycled for the Pi. The Raspbian Wheezy OS is actually a full working OS by itself. So I may stick with it.
    Yeah, I know that you know. My comment was meant more as a general comment for others reading this thread that may not know what a raspberry Pi actually is or does.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

 
Page 3 of 18 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast


Similar Threads
Thread Forum
The Raspberry Pi Thread
After spaming this thread , https://www.tenforums.com/windows-10-news/3950-new-raspberry-pi-2-now-windows-10-support.html I figured a new thread may be in order. I have a B+ and one of the new model 2 B's. I just fired up Raspbian on the new one to...
Chillout Room
Get Windows 10 - Support.
Hey guys, I'm new here to the forum and require some help please. On my desktop pc the gw10 app didnt show for me although i have the correct windows updates etc... I have used the windows site and managed to get the app that way, but it fails...
General Support
Windows 10: MKV support out of the box
Read more...
Windows 10 News
Windows 9: Resolution support up to 8k, better DPI scaling
Read more...
Windows 10 News
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:15.
Find Us
Twitter Facebook Google+ Ten Forums iOS App Ten Forums Android App



Windows 10 Forums