Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
  1.    29 Jan 2016 #11
    Join Date : Apr 2015
    Posts : 169
    Windows 10

    Check the specified terms in the original Microsoft blog post linked to in my previous post.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  2.    03 Apr 2016 #12
    Join Date : Jul 2015
    Posts : 1,563
    Windows 10 Pro x64 RS 10586.586

    What happens to those free Windows 10 upgrades after July 29, 2016?


    What happens to those free Windows 10 upgrades after July 29, 2016?

    We're exactly six months through Microsoft's unprecedented free upgrade offer for Windows 10. The offer officially expires July 29, 2016, on the one-year anniversary of the new operating system's release. But what happens then? I see three possible scenarios.

    Microsoft's ambitious plan to get Windows 10 running on a billion devices within the next few years depends to a large extent on the success of its free upgrade offer.

    When the company first announced the terms of that offer last May, it literally included an asterisk and fine print. Those terms have changed slightly over the intervening months, but one element has remained constant: The offer is good for one year after the availability of Windows 10.

    Here's the actual wording of the offer, as it appears today:

    It's free and easy

    Upgrade confidently - 100+ million fans have upgraded and are loving it. You'll have a free, full version of Windows 10 -- not a trial or a lite version -- if you complete your upgrade before July 29, 2016.

    And this is what currently appears in the fine print at the bottom of that page (emphasis added):

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	windows-10-offer-fine-print-2016.png 
Views:	3 
Size:	69.4 KB 
ID:	72942

    In fact, Microsoft's real goal with this upgrade offer isn't just to get its installed Windows 10 base to a billion. The long-term goal is to help close the books on Windows 7 in an orderly fashion before its extended support commitment ends on January 14, 2020.
    Read more: http://www.zdnet.com/article/what-ha...-july-29-2016/
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  3.    03 Apr 2016 #13
    Join Date : Aug 2014
    Forever West
    Posts : 3,913
    Win10 Home and Pro, Win10 Insider Preview, Win7 Home, Linux Mint

    We're exactly six months through Microsoft's unprecedented free upgrade offer for Windows 10.
    According to my calendars we have under 4 months until that deadline. That article was written by Ed Bott for The Ed Bott Report | January 29, 2016.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  4.    03 Apr 2016 #14
    Join Date : Jul 2015
    Posts : 1,563
    Windows 10 Pro x64 RS 10586.586

    Quote Originally Posted by Berton View Post
    According to my calendars we have under 4 months until that deadline. That article was written by Ed Bott for The Ed Bott Report | January 29, 2016.
    Right! Only a "food for thought"!
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  5.    03 Apr 2016 #15
    Join Date : Jul 2015
    Posts : 135
    Windows 10 Enterprise (64-bit)

    Two options keep it free forever regarding the updates or stop the updates for free and spin the wheel of fortune and look across the board for waste and other revenue tools in the likes of selling off their smartphone resources and product line to Apple or Samsung and totally put the smartphone vision and investment to rest and use these funds to improve their flagship products " that's what I would want to see as a vote in the Microsoft boardroom " to get implemented after the vote has been counted.

    I believe MS clearly understands the good old days are coming to slow down and perhaps stop and every market will be affected due to another round of weak economic pressures and unstable markets and record low returns , people are barely making ends meet and the majority of the 99% are more concerned on paying their monthly bills and putting a little good and healthy food on their tables they will not be purchasing a brand new car or that 100 inch 4k TV or purchasing their 199.99 windows pro license. " trust me it's the fact "
    Last edited by AcuraTML; 03 Apr 2016 at 22:11. Reason: not able to spell anymore too old
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  6.    03 Apr 2016 #16
    Join Date : Jul 2015
    Posts : 135
    Windows 10 Enterprise (64-bit)

    Correction please ignore.
    Last edited by AcuraTML; 03 Apr 2016 at 19:29. Reason: added more data
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  7.    04 Apr 2016 #17
    Join Date : Dec 2013
    Sydney, Nova Scotia, Canada
    Posts : 10,250
    Windows 10 IoT

    Quote Originally Posted by AcuraTML View Post
    Two options keep it free forever regarding the updates or stop the updates for free and spin the wheel of fortune and look across the board for waste and other revenue tools in the likes of selling off their smartphone resources and product line to Apple or Samsung and totally put the smartphone vision and investment to rest and use these funds to improve their flagship products " that's what I would want to see as a vote in the Microsoft boardroom " to get implemented after the vote has been counted.

    I believe MS clearly understands the good old days are coming to slow down and perhaps stop and every market will be affected due to another round of weak economic pressures and unstable markets and record low returns , people are barely making ends meet and the majority of the 99% are more concerned on paying their monthly bills and putting a little good and healthy food on their tables they will not be purchasing a brand new car or that 100 inch 4k TV or purchasing their 199.99 windows pro license. " trust me it's the fact "
    If you've already done the free upgrade, updates to the current build and upgrades to each new build are free for the life of the device, regardless of what they do on the 29th. If your still running Windows 7 or 8/8.1 after that date, and want to upgrade, your going to have to pay for the upgrade. As it stands now anyway. They could extend the free upgrade offer, I doubt they will do that though. If you haven't upgraded by now, you likely never will.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  8.    04 Apr 2016 #18
    Join Date : Oct 2014
    Trnava
    Posts : 2,754
    Windows 10.4 Home 1709 x64

    Free upgrade and then paid one, in other words MS will pay you to move to 10 by offering some free software or service.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  9.    04 Apr 2016 #19
    Join Date : Jul 2015
    Posts : 9,149
    Windows 10 Pro

    Quote Originally Posted by alphanumeric View Post
    If you've already done the free upgrade, updates to the current build and upgrades to each new build are free for the life of the device, regardless of what they do on the 29th. If your still running Windows 7 or 8/8.1 after that date, and want to upgrade, your going to have to pay for the upgrade. As it stands now anyway. They could extend the free upgrade offer, I doubt they will do that though. If you haven't upgraded by now, you likely never will.
    That just doesn't seem all that hard to understand... to me anyway.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  10.    04 Apr 2016 #20
    Join Date : Jan 2014
    Oak Ridge TN, USA
    Posts : 24,523
    Windows 10 Pro x64

    Quote Originally Posted by NavyLCDR View Post
    That just doesn't seem all that hard to understand... to me anyway.
    Same here.. it's been MS's postilion right from the start.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

 
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast


Similar Threads
Thread Forum
Taking full control of Win 10 upgrades on 29th July ... ?
Hello I have used the tray app to register for Win 10 upgrade on a number of PCs / laptops (Win 7 & Win 8). However I am now a bit concerned that come "D-Day", the app will automatically download the installation files (or at least a...
Installation and Upgrade
What happens with my retail licenses after July 29, 2016 ?
I have both Windows 7 and 8.x retail licenses. They have now been used up by upgrading to Windows 10 (both as hosts and as vm's). A few questions: 1) Where can I find Microsoft information as to what will happen with these licenses after July...
General Support
Build 10532 -- Expiry now 16 July 2016
Hi there Looks like the preview (insider) program will be ongoing for the foreseeable future Build 10532 (the latest) is set to expire on 16 JULY 2016 so nice long testing periods. Cheers jimbo
Windows Insider
Microsoft to provide free upgrades to Windows 10 for 2 to 4 years ?
Microsoft to provide free upgrades to Windows 10 for 2 to 4 years | Computerworld
General Support
Windows 10 to launch 'this summer' with free upgrades even for pirated
Source Upgrading to Windows 10 on pirated versions won't get you a valid license
Windows 10 News
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:35.
Find Us
Twitter Facebook Google+ Ten Forums iOS App Ten Forums Android App



Windows 10 Forums