Windows 10: Windows 10 at six months: Ready for primetime?

Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast
  1.    29 Jan 2016 #60

    FrozenCursor said: View Post
    GWX is more assertive than that. If you click on the "This computer is compatible with Windows 10" link, you see further assertive details, such as "all your apps will work", etc.
    Actually this language is also putting me off. When they say "app" I'm picturing something small that works on my phone. When I run Mathematica on my PC, I would never call it an "app", although maybe it's my age talking ....
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  2. Posts : 2,776
    W10 Pro + W10 Preview
       29 Jan 2016 #61

    Such a pity...impossible to avoid the usual moaning minnies...they would find fault if the O/S printed free useable banknotes.

    If you have a concern join the insiders and express them directly to M$, then hopefully your concerns would be considered.

    If W10 does not come up to expectations, one is not obliged to use it as there are other alternatives.

    Every O/S from DOS up to the present incarnation had problems during their early years, perfecting them takes time.
      My ComputersSystem Spec

  3.    29 Jan 2016 #62

    Too Funny! Hilarious actually. MacRumors comes to 10Forums. To summarize, it's not "A" fault, it's not "M" fault, it's your fault and the choices "you" made. lmfao
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  4.    29 Jan 2016 #63

    dencal said: View Post
    Every O/S from DOS up to the present incarnation had problems during their early years, perfecting them takes time.
    Yeah sure, some people want to stick with Windows 7/8.1 for now, and are discussing when it will be safe to upgrade to Windows 10.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  5. Posts : 2,776
    W10 Pro + W10 Preview
       29 Jan 2016 #64

    FrozenCursor said: View Post
    Yeah sure, some people want to stick with Windows 7/8.1 for now, and are discussing when it will be safe to upgrade to Windows 10.
    According to a recent post on this forum tests stated that it was safer than W7 or w8.1.
      My ComputersSystem Spec

  6.    29 Jan 2016 #65

    unifex said: View Post
    Actually this language is also putting me off. When they say "app" I'm picturing something small that works on my phone. When I run Mathematica on my PC, I would never call it an "app", although maybe it's my age talking ....
    That will be an applet then. Or a application or a (actually I don't know).

    All of the built in "apps" are what we used to call "metro apps" and then "universal apps". They are all shite (sorry but they are and I hope that isn't too rude a word). The only decent programs still run through the Win32 API.

    Outlook is better than the mail app. VLC desktop is better than the VLC app. Skype desktop is better than the Skype app.

    If anyone can name one single universal (or metro or whatever) app that is actually better than the desktop equivalent I'll eat my hat.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  7. Posts : 2,658
    Windows 10x64 Home Version 1803 (Build 17134) .112
       29 Jan 2016 #66

    dencal said: View Post
    According to a recent post on this forum tests stated that it was safer than W7 or w8.1.

    Every O/S from DOS up to the present incarnation had problems during their early years, perfecting them takes time.
    Yes I agree it is safer than any other OS they ever brought out.
    Yes I can all the OS from DOS upwards had problems, I spent many an hour online on a FixmyXP forum helping other members sorting out their problems.
    Also when they brought out SP1 and 2 which where upgrades they gave problems as well
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  8. Posts : 5,147
    windows 10 Home threshold2
       29 Jan 2016 #67

    lx07 said: View Post
    That will be an applet then. Or a application or a (actually I don't know).

    All of the built in "apps" are what we used to call "metro apps" and then "universal apps". They are all shite (sorry but they are and I hope that isn't too rude a word). The only decent programs still run through the Win32 API.

    Outlook is better than the mail app. VLC desktop is better than the VLC app. Skype desktop is better than the Skype app.

    If anyone can name one single universal (or metro or whatever) app that is actually better than the desktop equivalent I'll eat my hat.
    +1 +1 +1 +1

    Off topic and not directed at Ix07 :
    I could blow my horn and boasted and claimed to be Professor of English Literature.
    One look at my English writing will clearly show I am "full of it ".
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  •    29 Jan 2016 #68

    Since I for once don't use any of the apps " Or whatever you want to call" that entail with the wds 10 ..
    For me ... wds 10 + Chrome browser is the best combination ...
    Enuf said ..:)
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  •    29 Jan 2016 #69

    davidhk said: View Post
    +1 +1 +1 +1

    Off topic and not directed at Ix07 :
    I could blow my horn and boasted and claimed to be Professor of English Literature.
    One look at my English writing will clearly show I am "full of it ".
    If you can blow your horn sir I'm impressed. I've tried believe me.

    I'm just going to have to randomly rep you for that.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  •  
    Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

    Related Threads
    Hi :) , Sorry my thread title is quite bad, but my problem can only be described as "weird". For some reason, my laptop has turned crazy recently, the following basically: I can't access the features from start menu (so can't launch apps,...
    I enjoy any "Brink run" Windows site as they seem to have lots of knowledgeable,helpful people. I understand that the Nvidia Geforce Windows 10 Forum would be posters with issues but, man, SLI issues, game stuttering issues (with Directx 12?), G...
    I did the Win 10 upgrade on both our Laptops and kinda like it but not to sure... My problem is we are reaching the 30 day time limit to go back to 7, we are going on vacation (in 3 days) for 3 months and I am afraid that there will be Win 10...
    ... this lousy T-shirt :chuckle: 27135 I called the nearest MS Store on 28 July to see if it would have any promotional giveaways for the roll-out. The automated message told me to check the MS Store Facebook page. I already knew that the BIG...
    Hi I am currently running Win 8.1 and intend to upgrade to Win 10 later this week. I am in the habit of upgrading my hardware about every 5 years or so. What happens in say 18 months when I get a new cpu and m/b, how do I get Win 10 back again? I...
    Our Sites
    Site Links
    About Us
    Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

    Designer Media Ltd
    All times are GMT -5. The time now is 19:36.
    Find Us