Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
  1.    28 Jan 2016 #11
    Join Date : Jul 2015
    Poole Dorset UK
    Posts : 2,556
    Windows 10 x64 Home Version(1709) Build16299.19

    I have followed Ed Bott since windows 98 and always found him to be straight talking, and above board.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  2.    28 Jan 2016 #12
    Join Date : Jan 2014
    Oak Ridge TN, USA
    Posts : 24,523
    Windows 10 Pro x64

    Quote Originally Posted by Trust_No1 View Post
    The problem I have is with Ed Bott himself..

    Personally, I think he is more like a shill for Microsoft, he without doubt, is one of Windows 10, strongest advocates. He absolutely finds no faults with Windows 10, even if they are blatant. For some in this forum, they most likely would stand on crate tops and shout his praise. Myself, I give his articles the same regard as Softopedia, (very little merit). IMO.
    Really?? And would you put more credibility in an anti MS shill??
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  3.    28 Jan 2016 #13
    Join Date : Apr 2015
    Posts : 169
    Windows 10

    A doctor is not responsible for all sick people in the world, but if a doctor takes on a patient, then the doctor is responsible for that patient.

    In the same way, Microsoft is not responsible for all computers in the world, but if Microsoft upgrades a computer to Windows 10, then Microsoft is responsible for that computer. Especially if GWX not only gives green light for upgrading that computer, but also cajoles people (you will be happy with Windows 10) and even pester people to upgrade to Windows 10 with the continual GWX pop-ups.

    If the upgrade works (computer works better after the upgrade) then maybe all is fine. But all too often the upgrade does not work (computer works worse after the upgrade) and that's when people complain, justifiably so.

    The complaint is justified even if the upgraded computer is not objectively broken, but the owner is not happy with the for him new Windows 10 GUI, and has to pay a tech to roll the computer back to Windows 7, for example. This human element is often forgotten in a tech forum like the present one.

    In such induced upgrade scenarios 'a billion different computer configurations' or similar excuses, are not really valid excuses for Microsoft. There are 7 billion different human configurations for a doctor to consider, for that matter.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  4.    29 Jan 2016 #14
    Join Date : Jan 2014
    Oak Ridge TN, USA
    Posts : 24,523
    Windows 10 Pro x64

    Quote Originally Posted by FrozenCursor View Post
    A doctor is not responsible for all sick people in the world, but if a doctor takes on a patient, then the doctor is responsible for that patient.

    In the same way, Microsoft is not responsible for all computers in the world, but if Microsoft upgrades a computer to Windows 10, then Microsoft is responsible for that computer. Especially if GWX not only gives green light for upgrading that computer, but also cajoles people (you will be happy with Windows 10) and even pester people to upgrade to Windows 10 with the continual GWX pop-ups.

    If the upgrade works (computer works better after the upgrade) then maybe all is fine. But all too often the upgrade does not work (computer works worse after the upgrade) and that's when people complain, justifiably so.

    The complaint is justified even if the upgraded computer is not objectively broken, but the owner is not happy with the for him new Windows 10 GUI, and has to pay a tech to roll the computer back to Windows 7, for example. This human element is often forgotten in a tech forum like the present one.

    In such induced upgrade scenarios 'a billion different computer configurations' or similar excuses, are not really valid excuses for Microsoft. There are 7 billion different human configurations for a doctor to consider, for that matter.
    First off.. have you ever done any work with software/programming?? If you have you would realize that debugging code can be very hard and with an OS like 10 with well over 50 million lines of code it's next to impossible to fully debug. There is no way that MS or any maker of any OS can test every possible way a PC is configured or scenario on how it's set up,, software used etc.

    ...
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  5.    29 Jan 2016 #15
    Join Date : Jul 2015
    Poole Dorset UK
    Posts : 2,556
    Windows 10 x64 Home Version(1709) Build16299.19

    Quote Originally Posted by BunnyJ View Post
    First off.. have you ever done any work with software/programming?? If you have you would realize that debugging code can be very hard and with an OS like 10 with well over 50 million lines of code it's next to impossible to fully debug. There is no way that MS or any maker of any OS can test every possible way a PC is configured or scenario on how it's set up,, software used etc.

    ...
    Fully agree with you there as each OS is different also Microsoft are not mind readers, the person who owns the computer could of altered a setting or not done something they should off
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  6.    29 Jan 2016 #16
    Join Date : Aug 2014
    Australia, Adelaide
    Posts : 1,534
    W7 Ultimate SP1 (64 bit), LM 18.2 MATE (64 bit), W10 Home (64 bit)

    Quote Originally Posted by BunnyJ View Post
    There is no way that MS or any maker of any OS can test every possible way a PC is configured or scenario on how it's set up,, software used etc.
    MS doesn't specify an exact configuration that is guaranteed to work (or work at least as well as Apple's HW-SW combination).
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  7.    29 Jan 2016 #17
    Join Date : Aug 2015
    Posts : 30
    windows 10

    As an OS I find W10 at least as stable as W7/8 if not more so. Each update has improved stability and it was reasonably stable to begin with. There are still a few issues that annoy me. The W10 mail app is still ridiculously unreliable, sometimes syncing, sometimes not. It's not a major issue, I just use Thunderbird. The updating procedure I still find very problematic, the fact that you have to update (at least on the Home edition) and the 'changelog' tells you very little doesn't sit well with me, but apparently that's something I'll have to live with. At present, it isn't something that makes me question whether to use Linux full-time, but it may only take a couple of problematic updates to sway me, at least on my leisure machine. All the telemetry stuff doesn't really bother me.

    Overall reasonably happy, with a couple of frustrations.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  8.    29 Jan 2016 #18
    Join Date : Oct 2014
    Posts : 2,375
    W10 Pro + W10 Preview

    The difference between those that like, and those that dislike W10.

    Those that dislike want an O/S built to their personal specification, and will never be satisfied, perhaps they should get a quote from M$.

    The likers think that an efficient off the shelf O/S at such a price is an absolute bargain.
      My ComputersSystem Spec
  9.    29 Jan 2016 #19
    Join Date : Oct 2014
    Posts : 2,375
    W10 Pro + W10 Preview

    Quote Originally Posted by frankenhooker View Post
    The W10 mail app is still ridiculously unreliable, sometimes syncing, sometimes not.
    Try deleting your accounts and reinstalling them as recent improvements have been made to W10 Mail.
      My ComputersSystem Spec
  10.    29 Jan 2016 #20
    Join Date : Jan 2014
    Oak Ridge TN, USA
    Posts : 24,523
    Windows 10 Pro x64

    Quote Originally Posted by lehnerus2000 View Post
    MS doesn't specify an exact configuration that is guaranteed to work (or work at least as well as Apple's HW-SW combination).
    And should they??

    Apple has total control over the hardware/software combination and MS has zero control over the hardware that uses their OS.

    I would expect that a basic motherboard and processor should have no issues using jut about any version of Windows.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

 
Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast


Similar Threads
Thread Forum
Laptop weird 2 months after Windows 10 installation?
Hi :) , Sorry my thread title is quite bad, but my problem can only be described as "weird". For some reason, my laptop has turned crazy recently, the following basically: I can't access the features from start menu (so can't launch apps,...
Performance & Maintenance
Windows 10 Latest Build "For Gamers" Is it Ready for Primetime?
I enjoy any "Brink run" Windows site as they seem to have lots of knowledgeable,helpful people. I understand that the Nvidia Geforce Windows 10 Forum would be posters with issues but, man, SLI issues, game stuttering issues (with Directx 12?), G...
Gaming
Temporally Going BACK to Win 7 For A Few Months
I did the Win 10 upgrade on both our Laptops and kinda like it but not to sure... My problem is we are reaching the 30 day time limit to go back to 7, we are going on vacation (in 3 days) for 3 months and I am afraid that there will be Win 10...
General Support
Ten (10) months of testing, 30 miles ... and all I got was
... this lousy T-shirt :chuckle: 27135 I called the nearest MS Store on 28 July to see if it would have any promotional giveaways for the roll-out. The automated message told me to check the MS Store Facebook page. I already knew that the BIG...
Chillout Room
Computer upgrade after 12 months
Hi I am currently running Win 8.1 and intend to upgrade to Win 10 later this week. I am in the habit of upgrading my hardware about every 5 years or so. What happens in say 18 months when I get a new cpu and m/b, how do I get Win 10 back again? I...
General Support
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 00:29.
Find Us
Twitter Facebook Google+ Ten Forums iOS App Ten Forums Android App



Windows 10 Forums