Windows 10 at six months: Ready for primetime?

Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 891011 LastLast

  1. Posts : 470
    Win 10 Pro (x64), OSX 10.11
       #90

    unifex said:
    I'm not sure whether Ed Bott is really an expert. Personally, I found those built-in apps to be useless at best. Those which have a desktop counterpart, such as Skype, are certainly better on desktop (in the case of Skype, the desktop version actually has more features). Others ... Let's just say that I am not interested in Bing new aggregation and I don't own an XBox nor am I planning to buy one.
    Ed Bott is a prolific technology writer and journalist with focus in Windows and Office products. With more than two decades' experience writing, he has written 25 books among them Windows 10 Inside Out.

    Windows 10 at six months: Ready for primetime?-windows-10-inside-out.jpg
    If I recalled correctly, he is/was one of Editors in PC Computing and/or PC World. I have used several of his books to prepare for Microsoft Certifications.
      My Computer


  2. Posts : 7,128
    Windows 10 Pro Insider
       #91

    Just being curious. What was Ed Bott's view of Windows 8?
      My Computers


  3. Posts : 1,241
    Windows 10 Pro (Build 19043.1110)
       #92

    unifex said:
    I stopped using email clients long time ago. I see no point of keeping thousands of mail messages on my PC and it would take too much time and effort to do the housekeeping. I just use the gmail, mostly on the phone. Not only does this practice save me space (granted, most people don't care about that) but it's also more secure - if I literally don't open any emails on my PC, I can't get any virus or malware that way.
    So you're comfortable having your entire email correspondence over years completely stored on someone else's computer? I'm not. I like having the record under my own control, not Google's, or MS, or anybody else.
      My Computer


  4. Posts : 1,809
    W7 Ultimate SP1 (64 bit), LM 19.2 MATE (64 bit), W10 Home 1703 (64 bit), W10 Pro 1703 (64 bit) VM
       #93

    The title of the article/thread doesn't seem appropriate as W10 has been out for ~6 months.

    Winuser said:
    Just being curious. What was Ed Bott's view of Windows 8?
    IIRC, he complained (a little bit).

    These days he's closer to the majority opinion of the W8 series.

    Overall I rate Ed Bott as OK (i.e. I probably agree with ~75% of what he posts).
      My Computer


  5. Posts : 7,128
    Windows 10 Pro Insider
       #94

    lehnerus2000 said:
    The title of the article/thread doesn't seem appropriate as W10 has been out for ~6 months.


    IIRC, he complained (a little bit).

    These days he's closer to the majority opinion of the W8 series.

    Overall I rate Ed Bott as OK (i.e. I probably agree with ~75% of what he posts).
    I never followed Ed Bott and was just curious.
      My Computers


  6. Posts : 405
    Windows 10 21H1
       #95

    sgage said:
    So you're comfortable having your entire email correspondence over years completely stored on someone else's computer? I'm not. I like having the record under my own control, not Google's, or MS, or anybody else.
    My "control" over my old email correspondence ended up amounting to deleting gigabytes after gigabytes of old messages. Moreover, old backups are hard to open now since the formats tend to change over time. And most importantly, at some point I just realized old emails to be worthless to me. You see, I might be old-fashioned, but I've never treated email as serious correspondence. In fact, I actually delete most messages after I read them (and a whole lot more without reading). Anything significant should be done in writing, as in on paper. But even those records I get rid of periodically since most information loses its value over the years (I might keep the paperwork for my previous car, but papers of all cars before that are long gone).
      My Computer


  7. Posts : 725
    Windows 10 64-bits
       #96

    sgage said:
    So you're comfortable having your entire email correspondence over years completely stored on someone else's computer? I'm not. I like having the record under my own control, not Google's, or MS, or anybody else.
    Unless you have your own email server, your emails are stored in the cloud or on "someone else computer".

    There are various types of cloud based email services. For example there are free email services, such as Gmail, MS outlook.com, etc. The alternative is paid for email hosting services, such as just for email and/or in combination with web hosting. In both cases, the email is collected and kept on "someone else computer" for a period of times for you to access, usually forever even if you selected to delete the email.

    Certainly, there's more control with the email hosting than with free email services. But the point is that whoever runs your email server has full control of your emails. In such cases, your control of the email is limited to computer that you have full control of...
      My Computer


  8. Posts : 1,241
    Windows 10 Pro (Build 19043.1110)
       #97

    Cr00zng said:
    Unless you have your own email server, your emails are stored in the cloud or on "someone else computer".

    There are various types of cloud based email services. For example there are free email services, such as Gmail, MS outlook.com, etc. The alternative is paid for email hosting services, such as just for email and/or in combination with web hosting. In both cases, the email is collected and kept on "someone else computer" for a period of times for you to access, usually forever even if you selected to delete the email.

    Certainly, there's more control with the email hosting than with free email services. But the point is that whoever runs your email server has full control of your emails. In such cases, your control of the email is limited to computer that you have full control of...
    Yes, I know this. But I like to have my local archive just in case.
      My Computer


  9. Posts : 1,241
    Windows 10 Pro (Build 19043.1110)
       #98

    unifex said:
    My "control" over my old email correspondence ended up amounting to deleting gigabytes after gigabytes of old messages. Moreover, old backups are hard to open now since the formats tend to change over time. And most importantly, at some point I just realized old emails to be worthless to me. You see, I might be old-fashioned, but I've never treated email as serious correspondence. In fact, I actually delete most messages after I read them (and a whole lot more without reading). Anything significant should be done in writing, as in on paper. But even those records I get rid of periodically since most information loses its value over the years (I might keep the paperwork for my previous car, but papers of all cars before that are long gone).
    I only delete whatever spam makes it through the filter. As far as keeping old email, it's not a matter of legal significance - but I do occasionally need to look something up years later to confirm a date or some other info. It can be very useful.

    I still like having my own local archive, just in case.
      My Computer


  10. Posts : 112
       #99

    Cr00zng said:
    Unless you have your own email server, your emails are stored in the cloud or on "someone else computer".

    There are various types of cloud based email services. For example there are free email services, such as Gmail, MS outlook.com, etc. The alternative is paid for email hosting services, such as just for email and/or in combination with web hosting. In both cases, the email is collected and kept on "someone else computer" for a period of times for you to access, usually forever even if you selected to delete the email.

    Certainly, there's more control with the email hosting than with free email services. But the point is that whoever runs your email server has full control of your emails. In such cases, your control of the email is limited to computer that you have full control of...
    Someone should have sent this to the former Secretary of State.(Thought she had her own server, only to find out that the service company kept copies.) In all seriousness though, you are 100% correct. Also, any email correspondence you have will be stored on the other person's server as well. This is why email can be such a security risk, even if you aren't a federal employee.

    On the plus side, I personally like gmail, even if they do snoop. (Pretty boring stuff to read really.) Gmail has become my virtual filing cabinet over the years. I used to keep a local copy of all that email, but stopped that when I lost my local copy during a move to a new machine. I came to realize at that point it was not worth locally storing the 10 years of data I had accumulated.
      My Computer


 

  Related Discussions
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 20:04.
Find Us




Windows 10 Forums