Page 15 of 17 FirstFirst ... 51314151617 LastLast
  1.    12 Mar 2016 #141
    Join Date : Oct 2013
    Newport, South Wales, UK
    Posts : 1,632
    Windows 10 Pro x64 - XP/Vista/Win7/Win8.1 in VM for testing

    All ports closed in complete stealth mode - ports are only opened briefly when an application or process that has been checked and approved by me requests in the correct way
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  2.    12 Mar 2016 #142
    Join Date : Feb 2015
    Bamberg Germany
    Posts : 16,557
    Win10 Pro, Win10 Pro N, Win10 Home, Win10 Pro Insider Fast Ring, Windows 8.1 Pro, Ubuntu

    Quote Originally Posted by Barman58 View Post
    All ports closed in complete stealth mode - ports are only opened briefly when an application or process that has been checked and approved by me requests in the correct way
    Let's make it a little tighter:
    3rd party programs you can download & update through OneGet, can have theIr updaters/update services turned off, and check monthly through OneGet. That way excessive ports will be closed and only one open.

    GitHub - OneGet/oneget: PackageManagement (aka OneGet)
    OneGet (its in the Windows 10 Preview!) | Garrett Serack: Open Source Development at Microsoft
      My ComputersSystem Spec
  3.    12 Mar 2016 #143
    Join Date : Oct 2013
    A Finnish expat in Germany
    Posts : 12,413
    Windows 10 Pro

    Quote Originally Posted by Cliff S View Post
    Let's make it a little tighter:
    3rd party programs you can download & update through OneGet, can have theIr updaters/update services turned off, and check monthly through OneGet. That way excessive ports will be closed and only one open.

    GitHub - OneGet/oneget: PackageManagement (aka OneGet)
    OneGet (its in the Windows 10 Preview!) | Garrett Serack: Open Source Development at Microsoft
    PowerShell OneGet is built-in in Windows 10: PowerShell OneGet - Install Apps from Command Line - Windows 10 Forums
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  4.    12 Mar 2016 #144
    Join Date : Oct 2013
    Newport, South Wales, UK
    Posts : 1,632
    Windows 10 Pro x64 - XP/Vista/Win7/Win8.1 in VM for testing

    In addition to a firewall changing the port used randomly (which some applications support) can aid security - anyone checking for open ports have to check all rather than a known single port
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  5.    12 Mar 2016 #145
    Join Date : Feb 2015
    Bamberg Germany
    Posts : 16,557
    Win10 Pro, Win10 Pro N, Win10 Home, Win10 Pro Insider Fast Ring, Windows 8.1 Pro, Ubuntu

    Quote Originally Posted by Barman58 View Post
    In addition to a firewall changing the port used randomly (which some applications support) can aid security - anyone checking for open ports have to check all rather than a known single port
    I never heard of that!
    Is there any documentation I can read?
    I wont use it`(nothing of "interest on my PC's, for important stuff, I'm definitely a "Hard Copy" man) , but, security does interest me.
      My ComputersSystem Spec
  6.    12 Mar 2016 #146
    Join Date : Oct 2014
    Posts : 7
    win7

    """"Kari Originally Posted by dmex
    Telemetry has a very specific purpose and does not collect the large majority of the information you linked from the EULA.
    ...
    ...
    There are also zero industry security experts backing up the claims of Windows 10 'spying'... I think that's very damning evidence in itself.



    What an excellent post! Rep is not possible in News section, therefore you will have to settle for a public thank you """
    Kari
    Industry uses the Enterprise version.
    Enterprise version is deployed over network, and the Telemetry can be configured to suit or switched off.

    Allan
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  7.    12 Mar 2016 #147
    Join Date : Oct 2013
    Newport, South Wales, UK
    Posts : 1,632
    Windows 10 Pro x64 - XP/Vista/Win7/Win8.1 in VM for testing

    Quote Originally Posted by Cliff S View Post
    I never heard of that!
    Is there any documentation I can read?
    I wont use it`(nothing of "interest on my PC's, for important stuff, I'm definitely a "Hard Copy" man) , but, security does interest me.
    The only ones I can think of off hand are torrent applications so the documentation for those or Torlok may have it, also there's a possibility for some website development packages to use other ports than the standard 21, 80, 8080 Etc, to allow you to upload revisions without affecting a Live site There is also the ability to set a router to use a different external and internal port
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  8.    12 Mar 2016 #148
    Join Date : Feb 2015
    Bamberg Germany
    Posts : 16,557
    Win10 Pro, Win10 Pro N, Win10 Home, Win10 Pro Insider Fast Ring, Windows 8.1 Pro, Ubuntu

    Quote Originally Posted by Barman58 View Post
    The only ones I can think of off hand are torrent applications so the documentation for those or Torlok may have it, also there's a possibility for some website development packages to use other ports than the standard 21, 80, 8080 Etc, to allow you to upload revisions without affecting a Live site There is also the ability to set a router to use a different external and internal port
    Sounds almost like (the principal of)how Dynamic IP address's work, applied to ports.
      My ComputersSystem Spec
  9.    12 Mar 2016 #149
    Join Date : Oct 2013
    Newport, South Wales, UK
    Posts : 1,632
    Windows 10 Pro x64 - XP/Vista/Win7/Win8.1 in VM for testing

    Quote Originally Posted by iforgot View Post
    Kari
    Industry uses the Enterprise version.
    Enterprise version is deployed over network, and the Telemetry can be configured to suit or switched off.

    Allan
    There are also zero industry security experts backing up the claims of Windows 10 'spying'... I think that's very damning evidence in itself.
    I read that as no one in the security industry has mentioned Windows 10 Spying, just those trying to sell advertising on their blogs ... that is .. specific to the security sector not industry in general
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  10.    12 Mar 2016 #150
    Join Date : Oct 2014
    Posts : 2,311
    W10 Pro + W10 Preview

    Barman58.
    What will you be doing at 4pm today?
      My ComputersSystem Spec

 
Page 15 of 17 FirstFirst ... 51314151617 LastLast


Similar Threads
Thread Forum
The Best Antivirus for Windows 10 Revealed
50274 Read more: The Best Antivirus for Windows 10 Revealed
Windows 10 News
Start menu transparency revealed in latest Windows 10 build leak
Read more: Start menu transparency revealed in latest Windows 10 build leak | Windows Central
Windows 10 News
Next Windows 10 Build for PCs Launch Date Revealed
Read more: Next Windows 10 Build for PCs Launch Date Revealed - Softpedia
Windows 10 News
Official Windows 9 Preview Name Revealed
More
Windows 10 News
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 15:40.
Find Us
Twitter Facebook Google+ Ten Forums iOS App Ten Forums Android App



Windows 10 Forums