Windows as a Service: The pros and cons

    Windows as a Service: The pros and cons

    Windows as a Service: The pros and cons


    Posted: 23 Jan 2015
    The most important announcement at Microsoft's Windows 10 demo in Redmond the other day wasn't Windows 10 or Cortana, or even holograms. It was these four words: Windows as a Service.

    Windows as a Service has been on the cards for some time. The idea is that Windows will transition away from being a monolithic product that sees periodic major releases to a product that's continually being updated and tweaked in the background.
    Think Office 365 or Google's Chrome or Gmail.
    Windows 10 will be the platform that paves the way for this change, but it's just the beginning, and transitioning Windows from monolithic releases to a service is going to mean big changes within the industry as a whole. And as always there are going to be pros and cons.
    More
    labeeman's Avatar Posted By: labeeman
    23 Jan 2015

  1. BunnyJ's Avatar
    Posts : 22,693
    Windows 10 Home x64
       #1



    Now from my understanding, for the lifetime of the device MS will provide free updates for Win10. And you will have to purchase a copy of Win10 for new devices. ..

    Jeff
      My Computer

  2. labeeman's Avatar
    Posts : 14,712
    Mint 19.3
    Thread Starter
       #2

    BunnyJ said:


    Now from my understanding, for the lifetime of the device MS will provide free updates for Win10. And you will have to purchase a copy of Win10 for new devices. ..

    Jeff
    Or does it mean that you need a new copy when your mother board or cpu die. It could also mean when the cpu becomes outdated.
      My Computer

  3. BunnyJ's Avatar
    Posts : 22,693
    Windows 10 Home x64
       #3

    labeeman said:
    BunnyJ said:


    Now from my understanding, for the lifetime of the device MS will provide free updates for Win10. And you will have to purchase a copy of Win10 for new devices. ..

    Jeff
    Or does it mean that you need a new copy when your mother board or cpu die. It could also mean when the cpu becomes outdated.
    I agree that "device" is a vague term and we'll see what that really means when the final release comes out and that is clarified. I would hope that you could replace parts of your PC and retain Win10 for that machine.

    Jeff
      My Computer

  4. labeeman's Avatar
    Posts : 14,712
    Mint 19.3
    Thread Starter
       #4

    BunnyJ said:
    labeeman said:
    BunnyJ said:


    Now from my understanding, for the lifetime of the device MS will provide free updates for Win10. And you will have to purchase a copy of Win10 for new devices. ..

    Jeff
    Or does it mean that you need a new copy when your mother board or cpu die. It could also mean when the cpu becomes outdated.
    I agree that "device" is a vague term and we'll see what that really means when the final release comes out and that is clarified. I would hope that you could replace parts of your PC and retain Win10 for that machine.

    Jeff
    On most devices these days when they break while not under warranty a new one is in store. But Most desktops are upgradable and repairable and are long lived. I have an XP box that collects 13 analog signals 24/7 at one minute intervals and displays them on a chart also archives them, right now the run time on this boot is over 240 days.
      My Computer

  5. waltc's Avatar
    Posts : 626
    Win10x64 v2004 build 19608.1006
       #5

    We'll find out what it will cost later this year when the OS ships to non-Win7/8.x users who will have to pay for it. According to Mary Jo Foley @ZDNet, Microsoft has clearly stated in one of its blogs (she quotes from it) that Microsoft's business model relating to Windows hasn't changed--and that "Windows as a service" does not mean "Windows as a subscription." As a "service," I take it to mean that there will be no more of Win11; Win12, or Win13, etc. Basically, it'll just be "Windows 10" from here on out--different versions will be sculpted for different devices, no doubt, but superficially there will be no more distinctions made in the Windows family according to version numbers.

    I haven't made up my mind about all of this yet...Still collating the data...
      My Computer

  6. Superfly's Avatar
    Posts : 3,271
       #6

    waltc said:
    We'll find out what it will cost later this year when the OS ships to non-Win7/8.x users who will have to pay for it. According to Mary Jo Foley @ZDNet, Microsoft has clearly stated in one of its blogs (she quotes from it) that Microsoft's business model relating to Windows hasn't changed--and that "Windows as a service" does not mean "Windows as a subscription." As a "service," I take it to mean that there will be no more of Win11; Win12, or Win13, etc. Basically, it'll just be "Windows 10" from here on out--different versions will be sculpted for different devices, no doubt, but superficially there will be no more distinctions made in the Windows family according to version numbers.

    I haven't made up my mind about all of this yet...Still collating the data...
    I tend to agree with that viewpoint - no EOL.

    Just hope if this is the case we at least get SP's again - having to download a gazillion GB of updates each time you clean install is a royal PITA.

    Ed: Having said that, Win8* is going the Refresh ISO route - which in effect is a slipstreamed ISO with an SP...
      My Computer


  7. ThrashZone's Avatar
    Posts : 5,973
    3-Win-7Prox64 2-Win10Prox64
       #7

    Most of the subscriptions will depend on the app installed and activated
    The os it's self I would not expect it to go subscription
    They boast most programs will work I verified office 2007 and outlook does indeed work Not subscriptionware
    That was the only one I installed anything more was a waste when clean installing new builds every month or two
    Love the gossip though
      My Computers


 

Related Threads
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:13.
Find Us




Windows 10 Forums