Windows 10: Windows 10 Installed on 164 Million PCs

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

  1. Posts : 1,970
    W10 Pro + W10 Preview
       07 Jan 2016 #11

    Jimbo
    Active quote by Gabe suggests monitoring users by M$.
    Regards dencal.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails act.JPG  
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  2. Posts : 3,438
    EL Capitan
       07 Jan 2016 #12

    My guess is that they are tracking them through the Live accounts.

    I had canceled both of mine. Had to reopen one for my testing unit. It still showed the Test Box in the account, even though Windows 10 had been off of that machine for over a month.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  3.    07 Jan 2016 #13

    dencal said: View Post
    Jimbo
    Active quote by Gabe suggests monitoring users by M$.
    Regards dencal.
    Just where does it say.. monitoring users in that image??
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  4. Posts : 1,970
    W10 Pro + W10 Preview
       07 Jan 2016 #14

    BunnyJ said: View Post
    Just where does it say.. monitoring users in that image??
    The word Active suggests it., or how would they know?
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  5. Posts : 1,586
    Windows 10 x86 14383 Insider Pro and Core 10240
       07 Jan 2016 #15

    Telemetry could be counting successfully installed Windows updates - which seem to go on at several different levels - Defender, OneDrive, Store Apps, Windows Updates, and Microsoft Updates for installed applications such as Office.

    Altogether, this could give quite a full picture of the state of the Windows 10 user base, across a range of devices, including multiple installations on single devices, VMs included.

    At this stage of Windows 10, I'd imagine very few home users would forgo Windows Updates for the sake of paranoia re. snooping, or balancing the threat of new exploits against the potential of missing novel improvements.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  6.    07 Jan 2016 #16

    dencal said: View Post
    The word Active suggests it., or how would they know?
    No.. it doesn't. Not in the least way does it suggest anything. They can and likely know how many via the activation process and they don't have to monitor past that point.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  7.    07 Jan 2016 #17

    Had Windows 10 not been FREE, how many would be using it? Debating the statistics, desirability and success rate for something that has been given away doesn't mean much.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  8. Posts : 1,586
    Windows 10 x86 14383 Insider Pro and Core 10240
       07 Jan 2016 #18

    Just because it's apparently "free", just like broadcast Media channels bearing advertising, makes it very important to the bean counters who monetarise every aspect of your life today.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  9.    07 Jan 2016 #19

    gator2013 said: View Post
    Had Windows 10 not been FREE, how many would be using it? Debating the statistics, desirability and success rate for something that has been given away doesn't mean much.
    I for one would be using it.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  10. Posts : 1,970
    W10 Pro + W10 Preview
       07 Jan 2016 #20

    Fafhrd said: View Post
    Telemetry could be counting successfully installed Windows updates - which seem to go on at several different levels - Defender, OneDrive, Store Apps, Windows Updates, and Microsoft Updates for installed applications such as Office.

    Altogether, this could give quite a full picture of the state of the Windows 10 user base, across a range of devices, including multiple installations on single devices, VMs included.

    At this stage of Windows 10, I'd imagine very few home users would forgo Windows Updates for the sake of paranoia re. snooping, or balancing the threat of new exploits against the potential of missing novel improvements.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


 
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Related Threads
Source: Windows 10 Now on 75 Million Devices | Blogging Windows
Source: Microsoft says 14 million computers now running Windows 10 - The Economic Times
http://www.neowin.net/images/uploaded/2015/01/2_img_8942_story.jpg More
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:02.
Find Us