Windows 10: Windows Insider Program is big, 1.7 million big Insider


  1. Posts : 7,883
    Windows 10
       21 Jan 2015 #1

    Windows Insider Program is big, 1.7 million big




    The Windows Insider program kicked off to a great start in October 2014, giving lots of enthusiasts and fans a way to follow Windows 10 developments, and voice their feedback directly to the ears of thousands of Microsoft engineers who are hard at work building Windows 10.

    Fast forward to the end of January 2015, and you have more than 3 million Windows Technical Preview installations. A total of over 1.7 million Insiders have tried and tested the early bits of Windows 10, giving their opinion on 200,000 topics, with almost 800,000 pieces of feedback.
    More
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  2.    21 Jan 2015 #2

    I wonder how many are actually testing Win10?? 1.7 million is a lot and cool but I hope good feedback is provide and not trivial.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  3.    21 Jan 2015 #3

    BunnyJ said: View Post
    I wonder how many are actually testing Win10?? 1.7 million is a lot and cool but I hope good feedback is provide and not trivial.
    I agree!

    This is a refreshing change from the Windows 8 preview days. Much more interactive, social media is alive with comments and feedback real time.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  4. Posts : 7,883
    Windows 10
    Thread Starter
       21 Jan 2015 #4

    Fast forward to the end of January 2015, and you have more than 3 million Windows Technical Preview installations.
    That is a lot of Installations. I hope this shows M$ a better way of testing OS other than the GEEK squad they did before.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  5.    22 Jan 2015 #5

    Hi there

    Not wishing to be disrespectful to some of my PRO I.T colleagues who do generally a very hard job in keeping stuff up and running I do often think they aren't the best people to test stuff as they - especially those working professionally are generally working with less than state of the art hardware and software (often very much less than state of the art kit) and their brief is usually to keep systems up and running and above all stable.

    Home users can re-install an OS 200 times if they want to and can change hardware more times than most people have had hot dinners.

    This is the sort of scenario you want in testing - ordinary people probably breaking systems in ways that a Pro I.T person wouldn't even think of -- different mindset - in one case just let's "suck it and see" while in the other - try to avoid breaking it.

    Ms did IMO 100% the correct thing in opening up the test previews to the largest possible audience - and they will reap the rewards of that -I for one think W10 will be Ms's most stable and resilient OS ever.

    Cheers
    jimbo
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  6.    22 Jan 2015 #6

    I beg to differ, no disrespect intended, but as a IT pro it was my job to test and break code all of the time. If I or my colleagues didn't we would never really know if our changes or new code works properly.

    Just my 2c..

    Jefff
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  7. Posts : 1,424
    Windows 10 Pro x64
       22 Jan 2015 #7

    jimbo45 said: View Post
    Hi there

    Not wishing to be disrespectful to some of my PRO I.T colleagues who do generally a very hard job in keeping stuff up and running I do often think they aren't the best people to test stuff as they - especially those working professionally are generally working with less than state of the art hardware and software (often very much less than state of the art kit) and their brief is usually to keep systems up and running and above all stable.

    Home users can re-install an OS 200 times if they want to and can change hardware more times than most people have had hot dinners.

    This is the sort of scenario you want in testing - ordinary people probably breaking systems in ways that a Pro I.T person wouldn't even think of -- different mindset - in one case just let's "suck it and see" while in the other - try to avoid breaking it.

    Ms did IMO 100% the correct thing in opening up the test previews to the largest possible audience - and they will reap the rewards of that -I for one think W10 will be Ms's most stable and resilient OS ever.

    Cheers
    jimbo
    BunnyJ said: View Post
    I beg to differ, no disrespect intended, but as a IT pro it was my job to test and break code all of the time. If I or my colleagues didn't we would never really know if our changes or new code works properly.

    Just my 2c..

    Jefff
    I see what Jimbo is saying and it is true in some cases, it's all down to the individual IT Pro but then agree with Jeff as any IT Pro should know how to deliver to the less technical end user.

    Being an IT Pro i receive many calls from end users with issues (many of which are really simple for me to fix but obviously they feel i have wizardry skills) but it's these calls and working with end users on a one-to-one basis that enables be to think like the end user.

    Many times i am able to break things that are there to be broken so by the time the end user gets hands on it is very stable.

    "Open Source" 'style' testing is my preferred method, releasing the product / software with a very clear notice about how it is a Preview, Beta, RC etc... and let people break it / provide feedback on both the Good and Bad.

    Cheers,
    Jamie
      My ComputerSystem Spec


 

Related Threads
Solved Windows Insider Program in Windows Insider
Got this
Source...
More: Checking in on the Windows Insider Program
Insider Windows Insider Program in Windows 10 News
Thanks for your excitement about the Windows Insider Program. We're prepping for the release, so please check back soon. In the meantime, take a look at the demo video with our very own Joe Belfiore and read the blog to...
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:05.
Find Us