Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
  1.    22 Jan 2015 #41
    Join Date : Oct 2014
    Posts : 17,188
    Windows 10 Insider Preview Build 16281

    Quote Originally Posted by Slartybart View Post
    These folks know what they're doing.

    Offer the upgrade free: people think about it
    they just got a Win8 machine
    or
    they just bought Win7 (XP users)

    Business are conservative when it comes to upgrades.
    let's say that 20% take advantage of the offer, and that's probably being generous.

    The year length is interesting - they must have some analysis.
    It might all be to overcome the stigma of Win8 - some people might take a wait and see approach or MS figured out that is the optimal purchasing period (not all people are early adopters)

    That leaves them 80% of their market who will pay for the upgrade after the year offer expires.

    Other revenue streams
    Sell branded services: OneDrive cloud storage, Skype credits/plans,
    Ad revenue: Bing (~96% of Google revenue is ad based)
    Hardware: Surface, Phone, HoloLens ....
    Store Revenue: % of app$

    MS knows what is at stake and they're going all in.
    And on top of that, Bill, Office for iPad and Office for Android are out there for free . . . once people on Android see how good Office is, they may get a subscription.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  2.    22 Jan 2015 #42
    Join Date : Sep 2014
    Posts : 93
    Windows

    Windows would cost an annual fee?
    This question always seems to come up very often around Window beta/RTM releases for some weird reason or another

    Why anyone would want to pay every month(s) or so just to use their machine is mind-boggling... "A fatal error has occurred. Please enter your Credit card to continue."

    Quote Originally Posted by Slartybart View Post
    The year length is interesting - they must have some analysis.
    It might all be to overcome the stigma of Win8 - some people might take a wait and see approach or MS figured out that is the optimal purchasing period (not all people are early adopters)
    This didn't start with Windows 8 and dates back to pre-2000 and issues introduced by new Windows releases and/or Service Packs - It used to be standard policy for the majority of users and companies wait at minimum 12 months before even trying out those updates or newer systems as to allow time for any major bugs or other major issues to get sorted out - It would be more of an enticement to get some of those people or companies to jump on Win10 as early as possible without waiting (?)
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  3.    22 Jan 2015 #43
    Join Date : Oct 2013
    Penns Forrest
    Posts : 3,506
    Win_8.1-Pro, Win_10.1607-Pro, Mint_17.3

    Quote Originally Posted by dmex View Post
    .....
    Quote Originally Posted by Slartybart View Post
    The year length is interesting - they must have some analysis.
    It might all be to overcome the stigma of Win8 - some people might take a wait and see approach
    or MS figured out that is the optimal purchasing period (not all people are early adopters)
    This didn't start with Windows 8 and dates back to pre-2000 and issues introduced by new Windows releases and/or Service Packs - It used to be standard policy for the majority of users and companies wait at minimum 12 months before even trying out those updates or newer systems as to allow time for any major bugs or other major issues to get sorted out - It would be more of an enticement to get some of those people or companies to jump on Win10 as early as possible without waiting (?)
    It didn't even start with anything Windows or PC related. Banks duplicated data entry on paper. It took large corporations 6 months to sign off on a plan - not to implement the plan - just to get everyone having some authority to sign off on it. Getting them to actually implement the change - well you know....

    One client was all set and I was on-site when things didn't work - we went over the plan and the client "realized" that they needed a minor system update. Of course they couldn't just apply the update... I went back a year later.

    Maybe a year is enough time to entice some to move - the question they'll have to ask is how does the update benefit the company. Free is good, training costs more.

    My experience with large organizations is that they buy new systems. Smaller organizations without much training consideration probably fit the upgrade mold better. That is a large percent of businesses, but it's also a segment that doesn't necessarily view technology as a priority.

    No argument here, really. All I intended to say was "someone at Microsoft must had figured out the best threshold"
    I probably should have just said that, then

    Bill
    .
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  4.    22 Jan 2015 #44

    What if 10 fails?

    I was just thinking back to Windows 3.0,95,98,XP,ME, etc. and I used to have a policy, I never even considered upgrading or changing my OS, unless, I had waited at least two years until after it's release. My reasoning was, "that after that amount of time...most of the bugs would have been taken care of, and it would be stable".

    Gee, if I do that now, I may run the risk of it being obsolete.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  5.    22 Jan 2015 #45
    Join Date : Jun 2014
    San Diego, CA
    Posts : 1,691
    Windows 10 Pro Insider Preview x64

    Quote Originally Posted by dmex View Post

    This question always seems to come up very often around Window beta/RTM releases for some weird reason or another

    Why anyone would want to pay every month(s) or so just to use their machine is mind-boggling... "A fatal error has occurred. Please enter your Credit card to continue."
    That would actually be a fantastic strategy for Microsoft...

    if they were trying to get people to use Linux instead of Windows.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  6.    22 Jan 2015 #46

    I suppose speculation regarding how the upgrade would be implemented will be quite common.

    For Windows 8.1 users, upgrading via Windows Update should not pose a problem, but for Windows 7 users, I can't see that method working for activation.
    The current product key configuration does not support Windows 7 keys, thus I suspect that it would be like the WMC type upgrade offer. At least we will get new keys for a clean install that way.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  7.    22 Jan 2015 #47
    Join Date : Oct 2013
    Standish, Lancashire
    Posts : 5,909
    Windows 10 Pro x64

    Quote Originally Posted by Trust_No1 View Post
    What if 10 fails?

    I was just thinking back to Windows 3.0,95,98,XP,ME, etc. and I used to have a policy, I never even considered upgrading or changing my OS, unless, I had waited at least two years until after it's release. My reasoning was, "that after that amount of time...most of the bugs would have been taken care of, and it would be stable".

    Gee, if I do that now, I may run the risk of it being obsolete.

    There will be no obsolete with Windows 10, they said that updates will be free for the life of the device, that means they will have to carry on giving updates forever - no end of life just evolution.
      My ComputersSystem Spec
  8.    22 Jan 2015 #48

    Hi there.

    Actually Ms are taking a leaf out of Amazons business model here -- they offer kindles now at almost below cost but make up the profit on the e-books they sell.

    Services like SKY offer basically FREE Broadband for a decent period or very cheap -- but then recoup the money on people paying for services like SKY SPORTS / SKY MOVIES etc.

    While W10 is NOT itself (yet) slated for subscription, Ms probably has ear marked all sorts of possible pay subscription type of content to become available. Office 365 is the most well known but I'm sure others will come along.

    Offering a free upgrade is a master stroke for Ms -- a lot of people when doing an upgrade often buy other things as well. Many people upgrading from W7 (especially in a business area) might well go for Office 365 at the same time as they upgrade from W7 - especially if they are still running Office 2003 or even Office 2007.

    I'm sure there will be some way of performing a clean install --if people cast their minds back to W7 days there were all sorts of tricks to ensure you managed to get a clean install even from the copy which was an "Update" version for VISTA users.

    Cheers
    jimbo
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  9.    22 Jan 2015 #49

    Absolutely...
    All the fancy features demonstrated will most likely not be included in the "upgrade" version.

    Stuff like Holo will come at a premium ( like having to pay for Pro-pack for Core and then pay again for WMC add-on for Win 8.1 pro etc.) - at least we have options though.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  10.    22 Jan 2015 #50
    Join Date : Oct 2014
    Pell City, Alabama 35125
    Posts : 1,126
    Windows 10 Home 64-bit

    Quote Originally Posted by Superfly View Post
    Absolutely...
    All the fancy features demonstrated will most likely not be included in the "upgrade" version.

    Stuff likeolo will come at a premium ( like having to pay for Pro-pack for Core and then pay again for WMC add-on for Win 8.1 pro etc.) - at least we have options though.
    So, what features will be available? How are they going to support the hardware requirements?
      My ComputersSystem Spec

 
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast


Similar Threads
Thread Forum
The Future of Windows: Subscription?
Although I have seen nothing on the official site I have seen this bouncing around other sites on the web. Here is one of those sites: http://www.forbes.com/sites/gordonkelly/2015/06/17/windows-10-free-for-1-year-what-happens-next/ Wondering...
General Support
Windows 10 Subscription Plan
http://http://www.techrepublic.com/article/with-the-windows-365-trademark-the-windows-10-subscription-plan-becomes-apparent/?tag=nl.e099&s_cid=e099&ttag=e099&ftag=TREd8c0fa8 ...
General Support
Will windows 10 have a subscription service?
Will windows 10 have a subscription service? I can see some issues with that. Not everyone wants another monthly bill. I am not crazy about Linux but I did find Lubuntu works, the only issue I have is backup up and restore to a usb hard...
Chillout Room
Microsoft's BUILD conference is sold out, Windows 9 highly anticipated
More
Windows 10 News
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:02.
Find Us
Twitter Facebook Google+ Ten Forums iOS App Ten Forums Android App



Windows 10 Forums