Windows 10: Microsoft: Windows 10 will not be sold as a subscription

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
  1.    21 Jan 2015 #11

    I hate the "subscriptions". My recording studio program, Sonar, just went to "subscription". Actually we can buy it outright or on a monthly "subscription" (monthly payment). I just don't like the "subscription" term applied to it. Gibson Guitar Co bought Cakewalk Sonar and this is the first "zap" we are getting from the acquisition. Corporate bean counters at work.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  2. Posts : 487
    Windows 7/64 Professional
       21 Jan 2015 #12

    1. I don't want a upgrade because I don't want to loose a W-7 COA key.
    2. I never did like a upgrade. I want a fresh complete install.
    3. If I have to pay for it so be it.
    4. I always prefer a DVD from Microsoft with a new COA that I can keep forever.
    5. That would allow me to do a dual boot with W-7 and W-10 each on their own ssd. I have the hardware so I not going to give up W-7 just to get W-10 free. I don't want to burn the bridge behind me until I get a good look at the road ahead.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  3.    21 Jan 2015 #13

    Layback Bear said: View Post
    1. I don't want a upgrade because I don't want to loose a W-7 COA key.
    2. I never did like a upgrade. I want a fresh complete install.
    3. If I have to pay for it so be it.
    4. I always prefer a DVD from Microsoft with a new COA that I can keep forever.
    5. That would allow me to do a dual boot with W-7 and W-10 each on their own ssd. I have the hardware so I not going to give up W-7 just to get W-10 free. I don't want to burn the bridge behind me until I get a good look at the road ahead.
    I don't have the answers to those questions but I'm sure you'll get your answers as time goes by. You won't be the only one looking for answers.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  4. Posts : 67
    Windows 7 SP1, Home Premium, 64-bit
       21 Jan 2015 #14

    Layback Bear said: View Post
    1. I don't want a upgrade because I don't want to loose a W-7 COA key.
    2. I never did like a upgrade. I want a fresh complete install.
    3. If I have to pay for it so be it.
    4. I always prefer a DVD from Microsoft with a new COA that I can keep forever.
    5. That would allow me to do a dual boot with W-7 and W-10 each on their own ssd. I have the hardware so I not going to give up W-7 just to get W-10 free. I don't want to burn the bridge behind me until I get a good look at the road ahead.
    I'd agree with all of that and would add:

    6: I want what is generally called a "retail" disc (or maybe ISO) that can be reinstalled repeatedly on different hardware in the future, with the understanding that it's one PC at a time. "Retail" as we've always used the term to distinguish from "OEM".
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  5.    21 Jan 2015 #15

    This announcement of the free upgrades leaves me wondering, why do it?

    If their goal is to get as many people as possible to leave Windows 7 and 8.1, this only makes some sense because as long as their are people with Windows 7 or 8.1 licenses MS will still have to make updates for them and software developers will need (to some extent) to make software to work with the legacy OS's. If it were possible to exchange all 7 and 8.1 for 10, then that would be a game changer.

    So MS is sacrificing perhaps billions of dollars by giving us this upgrade and other than good will, what are they getting?

    Since corporations exist to make money this leaves me perplexed.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  6.    21 Jan 2015 #16

    ignatzatsonic said: View Post
    Layback Bear said: View Post
    1. I don't want a upgrade because I don't want to loose a W-7 COA key.
    2. I never did like a upgrade. I want a fresh complete install.
    3. If I have to pay for it so be it.
    4. I always prefer a DVD from Microsoft with a new COA that I can keep forever.
    5. That would allow me to do a dual boot with W-7 and W-10 each on their own ssd. I have the hardware so I not going to give up W-7 just to get W-10 free. I don't want to burn the bridge behind me until I get a good look at the road ahead.
    I'd agree with all of that and would add:

    6: I want what is generally called a "retail" disc (or maybe ISO) that can be reinstalled repeatedly on different hardware in the future, with the understanding that it's one PC at a time. "Retail" as we've always used to term to distinguish from "OEM".
    My MSDN ISO's will use OEM keys and Retail keys. There isn't a separate OEM ISO and Retail ISO like in the past. My MSDN keys are listed as Retail keys. My MSDN ISO's will also use OEM embedded keys automatically. The one DVD does both now. This download will also use OEM and Retail 8.0 and 8.1 keys , Create installation media for Windows 8.1 - Windows Help. Times they are a changing.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  7. Posts : 1,546
    W7 32 bit, Linux Mint Xfce 18 64 bit
    Thread Starter
       21 Jan 2015 #17

    I am concerned about upgrading from w7 oem/oem pre-installed vlk to w10 and lose my ability to remove 10 and restore windows 7.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  8.    21 Jan 2015 #18

    dougout said: View Post
    This announcement of the free upgrades leaves me wondering, why do it?

    If their goal is to get as many people as possible to leave Windows 7 and 8.1, this only makes some sense because as long as their are people with Windows 7 or 8.1 licenses MS will still have to make updates for them and software developers will need (to some extent) to make software to work with the legacy OS's. If it were possible to exchange all 7 and 8.1 for 10, then that would be a game changer.

    So MS is sacrificing perhaps billions of dollars by giving us this upgrade and other than good will, what are they getting?

    Since corporations exist to make money this leaves me perplexed.
    It's a limited time offer. After that one year goes buy you pay to get Windows 10. For one thing it's good PR wise. Also if you can get Windows 7 users hooked on Windows 10, maybe they'll buy into Windows 11 or 12 etc.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  9.    21 Jan 2015 #19

    groze said: View Post
    I am concerned about upgrading from w7 oem/oem pre-installed vlk to w10 and lose my ability to remove 10 and restore windows 7.
    Windows 7 factory OEM installs activate against a SLIC table in the BIOS, they do not activate online. They also use a master OEM key so Microsoft cannot block that key. If they do every PC of that make and model will get blocked. They would all simultaneously get a "your software is not genuine" message. That being said, you would need to use custom branded OEM provided install media to reproduce the factory OEM install.

    All that being said, unless you have done a clean install yourself, the product code on the COA sticker has never been used. You could reinstall Windows 7 with that code with no issues other than maybe having to do a phone activation. Any time I have used one of those codes that's what I have had to do.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  10. Posts : 1,546
    W7 32 bit, Linux Mint Xfce 18 64 bit
    Thread Starter
       21 Jan 2015 #20

    alphanumeric said: View Post
    dougout said: View Post
    This announcement of the free upgrades leaves me wondering, why do it?

    If their goal is to get as many people as possible to leave Windows 7 and 8.1, this only makes some sense because as long as their are people with Windows 7 or 8.1 licenses MS will still have to make updates for them and software developers will need (to some extent) to make software to work with the legacy OS's. If it were possible to exchange all 7 and 8.1 for 10, then that would be a game changer.

    So MS is sacrificing perhaps billions of dollars by giving us this upgrade and other than good will, what are they getting?

    Since corporations exist to make money this leaves me perplexed.
    It's a limited time offer. After that one year goes buy you pay to get Windows 10. For one thing it's good PR wise. Also if you can get Windows 7 users hooked on Windows 10, maybe they'll buy into Windows 11 or 12 etc.
    alphanumeric,
    I did see some of the broadcast. One of the people in the broadcast mention no version numbers for anything after windows 10? How is that going to work? Does that mean windows 10 forever?
      My ComputerSystem Spec


 
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Related Threads
Although I have seen nothing on the official site I have seen this bouncing around other sites on the web. Here is one of those sites: http://www.forbes.com/sites/gordonkelly/2015/06/17/windows-10-free-for-1-year-what-happens-next/ Wondering...
Windows 10 Subscription Plan in General Support
http://http://www.techrepublic.com/article/with-the-windows-365-trademark-the-windows-10-subscription-plan-becomes-apparent/?tag=nl.e099&s_cid=e099&ttag=e099&ftag=TREd8c0fa8 ...
Will windows 10 have a subscription service? I can see some issues with that. Not everyone wants another monthly bill. I am not crazy about Linux but I did find Lubuntu works, the only issue I have is backup up and restore to a usb hard...
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 17:52.
Find Us