Page 7 of 18 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast
  1.    01 Jan 2016 #61
    Join Date : Oct 2013
    Posts : 1,962
    Windows 7

    Quote Originally Posted by Edwin View Post
    I have my gripes too, but, you know what..., just go with it! Life's too short!
    You sound like my wife. She always says: " Go with the flow ".
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  2.    01 Jan 2016 #62
    Join Date : Jul 2015
    Posts : 3,813
    10 Pro

    Quote Originally Posted by zooburner View Post
    Windows 10 advertising though is much more like buying a DVD because you like that film, then having adverts pop up on screen several times , requiring you to click on your remote on a certain place on the screen to continue, Or like your TV doing the same.
    You are right about that. I swapped my TV/internet to a fibre deal last month and am very paranoid I'll accidentally subscribe to some extra channels by pressing the wrong button....
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  3.    01 Jan 2016 #63
    Join Date : Oct 2014
    Posts : 17,899
    Windows 10 Insider Preview Build 16281

    Quote Originally Posted by lx07 View Post
    You are right about that. I swapped my TV/internet to a fibre deal last month and am very paranoid I'll accidentally subscribe to some extra channels by pressing the wrong button....
    If it's anything like here in the US, keep an eye on the TV part. I changed providers and got stuck with a two year deal, and as well, they kept sneaking in subscription stuff I didn't order. Thankfully the two years ended and that provider has been cancelled.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  4.    01 Jan 2016 #64
    Join Date : Jan 2014
    Oak Ridge TN, USA
    Posts : 24,523
    Windows 10 Pro x64

    Quote Originally Posted by Wynona View Post
    Poor Jody; he's damned if he does and damned if he doesn't. If I recall correctly, Jody has tried to use Windows 10 before, but I don't remember all the results.

    @Jody Thornton I believe you were in the Insider Program at one time; if you left it, you should at least rejoin and try each new update as it comes out so no one can say you don't know what you're talking about.
    How can he be darned for not critiquing 10? This is my take. I use several versions of Linux for around 2 months total, which is what I did. Then I go into a support forum and complain/critique an OS that I barely used and haven't in some time. I would have no point of reference to any updates and little experience in using it in the first place. My expectations from the members would be they would either laugh me out or just ban me. Lots of the Linux forums are not a friendly as this one and the ones that John owns.

    It's really ok to critique an OS like 10 but when someone has made their point well and clean why beat that point home. I think we got the message already.

    Just my usual 2c..
    Jeff
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  5.    01 Jan 2016 #65
    Join Date : Jan 2014
    Oak Ridge TN, USA
    Posts : 24,523
    Windows 10 Pro x64

    Quote Originally Posted by whs View Post
    Bunny, that is a good point.
    Thanks.. there are several members here who critique an OS that they don't currently use or want to and it gets a bit frustrating to see comments that are from non users. Heck,, no one is forcing anyone to use this OS. And if anyone finds that the OS is being forced as in the update process many members will gladly help to make sure that will not occur. And there are several good tutorials by Shan on that subject.

    I enjoy using 10... it's a nice tool so I can run my software and apps. Why do I use it?? Not because I love it.. it's because it's the OS that will receive the most support now and in the future. That's why..
    Again.. my 2c

    Jeff
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  6.    01 Jan 2016 #66
    Join Date : Oct 2013
    Posts : 1,962
    Windows 7

    Yeah right - this is a bad scenario if people comment on programs they never used. But there is a lot of hearsay stuff going around. What can you do.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  7.    01 Jan 2016 #67
    Join Date : Apr 2015
    Posts : 12,975
    W10Prox64

    Oh boy - here we go with multi-quote!

    Quote Originally Posted by Jody Thornton View Post
    ... If Microsoft wasn't hoping to trip people up into installing Windows 10 "by accident", why would they then not respect your choice when you previously blocked the update, to not show it again. For those that turn down the update notice, it reappears. And when you hide the telemetry updates that are offered to Windows 7 and 8.1 users, they reappear. Those that are saying "No one forces you to install the updates" would have more of an argument if the updates weren't forced upon you repeatedly.
    I have to agree with this. And, I have in fact, had 2 people whose machines were overtaken by the update with no option to refuse. Not sure how it got to that point, but it really shouldn't, period.

    Quote Originally Posted by Jody Thornton View Post
    By the way, saying "No one is forcing you to click and update" seems somewhat akin to when people argue that giving up privacy shouldn't bother you if you're not doing anything wrong. They're weak arguments and people's choices should be respected. Perhaps Microsoft isn't forcing you to update, but they are not respecting your update choices that you've previously made, by repeatedly showing updates you've blocked.
    Again, I have to agree. Once you tell MS you are not interested in upgrading, they should leave you alone. I have 3 systems on W10 (one in TP), 3 systems on W8.1, and right now I prefer to leave the 8.1s where they are. But MS are not respecting my choice. Matter of fact, I wanted to leave one of the 8s at 8.0, but MS thought they knew better than I.

    Quote Originally Posted by alphanumeric View Post
    You should not have to jump through hoops and go to extraordinary measures to stop the upgrade.... You can't easily turn off updates in Windows 10, and you shouldn't have to stop all updates just because of one you don't want. What happened to the user friendly part of Windows? Upgrading is fairly easy, but it seems not upgrading is becoming increasingly difficult.
    Agreed. And MS will become even more aggressive in 2016 with upgrades, changing the WU from recommended to important/standard. So those that have auto-updates on will get it even if they don't want it.

    Quote Originally Posted by Jody Thornton View Post
    I don't find it that hard myself (frustrating yes, but not hard).... if I want to stay on a past OS that's still receiving updates, I should be able to do so without being nagged.
    Agreed. And for the average, non-technical user, it shouldn't be this difficult.

    Quote Originally Posted by lx07 View Post
    I've never heard such rubbish.. If you don't like Windows 10 don't install it. If you don't know how to install it (or you don't know how to not install it) then live with whatever life throws at you. You can always get the internet on your phone or TV.....I agree with most of what you say Jody, but not this. Whether 10 is better or not, if a user is incapable of deciding how to answer the question "do you want to upgrade" then they should be upgraded.
    It's not that a user is incapable of deciding how to answer the question, it's that the question keeps asking itself over and over and over, as if the answer makes no difference, and then sometimes, there is no answer to give, you just get the upgrade whether you wanted it or not.

    Quote Originally Posted by Wynona View Post
    If it's anything like here in the US, keep an eye on the TV part. I changed providers and got stuck with a two year deal, and as well, they kept sneaking in subscription stuff I didn't order. Thankfully the two years ended and that provider has been cancelled.
    Don't you just hate when that happens?!
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  8.    01 Jan 2016 #68
    Join Date : Jun 2014
    Posts : 5,548
    Windows 10 Pro

    Quote Originally Posted by Inundated View Post
    Point taken. Though online, on forums like this, it seems more likely that someone's trying to point out that Windows 10 is a failure because they don't like it for some reason or another.
    I never said Win 10 was a failure. I never said I didn't like Windows 10. I do like Win 10 and have it installed on all of my computers. I'm just curious of what the number would be if Win 10 wasn't a free upgrade. If MS wants to brag about the number of installs of Win 10 they shouldn't stack the deck by giving away the OS for free. They should judge the success of Win 10 by the number of users willing to pay for it.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  9.    01 Jan 2016 #69
    Join Date : Aug 2014
    Australia, Adelaide
    Posts : 1,569
    W7 Ultimate SP1 (64 bit), LM 18.2 MATE (64 bit), W10 Home (64 bit)

    Quote Originally Posted by Edwin View Post
    How do those W10 update pictures apply in the case of W7 (and probably W8 series) users being "tricked" into installing W10?

    Quote Originally Posted by davidhk View Post
    Who cares if there were 200 million Win 10 users ?
    MS does.

    The W8 series has been a disaster by MS' own standards.
    It never even came close to obtaining the market share that Vista attained at its peak.

    W10 is on track to overtake the W8 series (probably in the first quarter of 2016).
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  10.    01 Jan 2016 #70
    Join Date : Oct 2013
    Posts : 1,962
    Windows 7

    W10 is on track to overtake the W8 series (probably in the first quarter of 2016).
    That is not a big deal because W8 was not a blockbuster.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

 
Page 7 of 18 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast


Similar Threads
Thread Forum
Windows 10 Now on 75 Million Devices
Source: Windows 10 Now on 75 Million Devices | Blogging Windows
Windows 10 News
After 53 million installs, Windows 10 takes 4.95% of the market
http://www.neowin.net/news/after-53-million-installs-windows-10-takes-495-of-the-market?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter quite a good start :)
Windows 10 News
Windows 10 is said to be running on 67 million PCs already
Source
Windows 10 News
Insider Windows Insider Program is big, 1.7 million big
http://www.neowin.net/images/uploaded/2015/01/2_img_8942_story.jpg More
Windows 10 News
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:19.
Find Us
Twitter Facebook Google+ Ten Forums iOS App Ten Forums Android App



Windows 10 Forums