As 2015 comes to a close, Windows 10 surpasses 200 million installs

Page 16 of 18 FirstFirst ... 61415161718 LastLast

  1. Posts : 11,182
    Windows / Linux : Arch Linux
       #150

    Winuser said:
    You don't want all your small drives seen as one big drive? I do like Windows 10 but I don't think the average user will ever need that feature. As for me if I need more storage space I'll buy a bigger drive.
    Hi there
    Why junk perfectly good 750 and 500 GB drives when simply combining TWO will give you 1 - 1.5 TB - quite a useful size for backups etc. Some multi-media apps also have trouble when the directory on a physical drive runs out of space. With spanning you use mult-volumes and can add another if you need more.

    Works for NAS without too many complaints so what's the scare in Windows. I've had it for AGES - not a single problem.

    There's some redundancy built in too so data loss isn't actually a major problem in these cases.

    People don't seem to have any trouble aggregating HDD's on NAS boxes -- all the NAS is doing is exactly the same but using a particular specialized type of Linux OS. If NAS is OK what's wrong with using the same feature on Windows - saves buying a NAS box if you don't need one.

    Cheers
    jimbo
      My Computer


  2. whs
    Posts : 1,935
    Windows 7
       #151

    Even a lot of WD40 will not get me to Win10 yet. I will revisit the question in 6 months from now.
    Last edited by whs; 15 Jan 2016 at 12:05.
      My Computer


  3. Posts : 5,478
    2004
       #152

    whs said:
    Even a lot of WD40 will get me to Win10 yet. I will revisit the question in 6 months from now.
    WD40 is pretty expensive. Usually bit of alcohol (and a quick hit with a hammer) is cheaper and more efficient. Or Petrol/Gasoline.

    Or I suppose WD40 and waiting for 6 months.

    And then a hammer.
      My Computer


  4. Posts : 123,612
    Windows 11 Pro (x64) 21H2 Build 22000.708
       #153

    lx07 said:
    WD40 is pretty expensive. Usually bit of alcohol (and a quick hit with a hammer) is cheaper and more efficient. Or Petrol/Gasoline.

    Or I suppose WD40 and waiting for 6 months.

    And then a hammer.
    No if you use a hammer, parts could fly all over...messy.....use a good Drill, and drill some nice holes right thru it. :)
      My Computers


  5. Posts : 5,478
    2004
       #154

    Up to @whs really. He wants WD40 (or rather doesn't), I like alcohol and hammers and you want to drill it.

    I've a feeling I may be going off subject here slightly
      My Computer


  6. Posts : 3,365
    W10 Pro x64/W7 Ultimate x64 dual boot main - W10 Pro Insider Preview/W7 Pro x64 - remote pc
       #155

    No thanks! I already bored into 10 with an end cutting end mill carbide tipped!

    Actually I not only got into 10 but kept 7 having originally allowing for multiple OSs on the present build and simply bought the 10 license to have both with automatic av protection on both until April 2025! if I continuing running 7 that is past the 2020 end cycle there that is. By then however I will probably be running a totally new build by then however. But I ran 98SE until the hardwares no longer saw any driver support available back in the XP days! Same goes for 7 as well as 10 when something else becomes the newer then.
      My Computer


  7. Posts : 7,128
    Windows 10 Pro Insider
       #156

    jimbo45 said:
    Hi there
    Why junk perfectly good 750 and 500 GB drives when simply combining TWO will give you 1 - 1.5 TB - quite a useful size for backups etc. Some multi-media apps also have trouble when the directory on a physical drive runs out of space. With spanning you use mult-volumes and can add another if you need more.

    Works for NAS without too many complaints so what's the scare in Windows. I've had it for AGES - not a single problem.

    There's some redundancy built in too so data loss isn't actually a major problem in these cases.

    People don't seem to have any trouble aggregating HDD's on NAS boxes -- all the NAS is doing is exactly the same but using a particular specialized type of Linux OS. If NAS is OK what's wrong with using the same feature on Windows - saves buying a NAS box if you don't need one.

    Cheers
    jimbo
    Where did I say I was going to junk any HDDs? I have never needed to combine 2 drives and I doubt I ever will. I still say that this is a feature that very few average users will ever use.
      My Computers


  8. Posts : 7,128
    Windows 10 Pro Insider
       #157

    whs said:
    Even a lot of WD40 will not get me to Win10 yet. I will revisit the question in 6 months from now.
    How about some PB Blaster?
      My Computers


  9. Posts : 3,365
    W10 Pro x64/W7 Ultimate x64 dual boot main - W10 Pro Insider Preview/W7 Pro x64 - remote pc
       #158

    Winuser said:
    Where did I say I was going to junk any HDDs? I have never needed to combine 2 drives and I doubt I ever will. I still say that this is a feature that very few average users will ever use.
    I never have here! I went from a pair of 128gbs to a pair of 250gbs to a pair of 500gbs seeing Vista by that time to a pair of 1tbs with a second pair of 1tb drives for backup and storage to recently replacing the 5yr.old pair of 1tb with a pair of server class 2tb heavy duty drives. Each one stands by itself as far as being it's own logical drive with a degree of different things being stored and backed up since I maintain images for both desktops and laptops.
      My Computer


  10. whs
    Posts : 1,935
    Windows 7
       #159

    I am impressed. You must have a lot of data. I could not even fill 100GBs.
      My Computer


 

  Related Discussions
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:13.
Find Us




Windows 10 Forums