Are Registry Cleaners Still Needed on Windows 10?

Page 6 of 27 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast

  1. Lee
    Posts : 4,793
    OS X, Win 10
       #50

    I am not sure when I last used a cleaner, albeit it had to be prior to 1 Oct, 2006 when my brain decided to go on vacation. If I attempted to use one now it would end up being one big mess, and I would forget to back it up, thus ending up having to do a reinstall. . .
      My Computer


  2. Posts : 11,171
    Windows / Linux : Arch Linux
       #51

    Hi there

    my own view on this is that if you need a registry cleaner then you should either re-install windows from new or restore from a good backup.

    These days with really cheap storage there's NO EXCUSE WHATEVER for not taking loads of backups -- I always take one before installing software in case the software doesn't work, I don't like it or I prefer the "previous" version.

    A decent windows backup - especially if you use SSD's won't take more than around 15 mins even on quite modest hardware.

    Fiddling around with the registry is usually an invitation to disaster . Unless you really have to and know what you are doing leave well alone or practice on a Virtual Machine.

    Cheers
    jimbo
      My Computer


  3. Posts : 22,741
    Windows 10 Home x64
       #52

    lehnerus2000 said:
    Removing 4 GB of crap from someone's Internet cache definitely improves performance.

    If no garbage accumulates in a Windows install, why do some people reinstall Windows every few months and then claim that their PC runs much better?
    Just wondering how anyone could accumulate 4gb of internet cache?? Really???
      My Computer


  4. Posts : 22,741
    Windows 10 Home x64
       #53

    OldMike65 said:
    That is only YOUR Opinion....which I do NOT agree with. Everytime this subject comes up, everyone has their own thoughts and opinions. This debate has been going on for years....with no end in sight it seems. I could debate this issue, but I am just tired of this age old debate. You are entitled to your opinion Jeff.....and I to mine.
    Mike.. when you can provide facts to back up your opinion we can have a discussion. Up till now you haven't supplied any.
      My Computer


  5. Posts : 17,831
    Windows 10
       #54

    I'll take this opportunity to re-answer the original question -
    Are Registry Cleaners Still Needed on Windows 10? :

    No.
      My Computer


  6. Posts : 123,278
    Windows 11 Pro (x64) 21H2 Build 22000.675
       #55

    BunnyJ said:
    Mike.. when you can provide facts to back up your opinion we can have a discussion. Up till now you haven't supplied any.
    That's my point Jeff, I really don't want to keep discussing registry cleaning, good vs bad. I've been cleaning my registry for years, with out it causing any problems on any version of windows that I was running. I don't need to prove it to you Jeff, my proof is how my Windows runs for me. The 2 small problems I have with Windows 10 is not related to cleaning my registry, but it is a bug in Windows 10. Which, I hear is or has been fixed in the latest Insider builds. Like I have said before I've been cleaning my registry for years now, without any problems. If cleaning my registry did crash my system, then I would re-think about cleaning the registry. I also always have made backups, mainly because I never know these days what might happen with some of these updates from MS. And most programs that do clean your registry always make a backup of your registry anyhow, incase the user wants to go back to a previous date. So I have 2 different backups, Image backups, and registry backups. Never had to use one of my Registry backups yet....not once.
    Bottom line Jeff, cleaning one's registry is the users choice, having to prove the merits of cleaning my registry to anyone is just not needed for me.
      My Computers


  7. Posts : 22,741
    Windows 10 Home x64
       #56

    OldMike65 said:
    That's my point Jeff, I really don't want to keep discussing registry cleaning, good vs bad. I've been cleaning my registry for years, with out it causing any problems on any version of windows that I was running. I don't need to prove it to you Jeff, my proof is how my Windows runs for me. The 2 small problems I have with Windows 10 is not related to cleaning my registry, but it is a bug in Windows 10. Which, I hear is or has been fixed in the latest Insider builds. Like I have said before I've been cleaning my registry for years now, without any problems. If cleaning my registry did crash my system, then I would re-think about cleaning the registry. I also always have made backups, mainly because I never know these days what might happen with some of these updates from MS. And most programs that do clean your registry always make a backup of your registry anyhow, incase the user wants to go back to a previous date. So I have 2 different backups, Image backups, and registry backups. Never had to use one of my Registry backups yet....not once.
    Bottom line Jeff, cleaning one's registry is the users choice, having to prove the merits of cleaning my registry to anyone is just not needed for me.
    It is. your choice and I never said you can't do it..have at it anyway and have a great day!
      My Computer


  8. Posts : 123,278
    Windows 11 Pro (x64) 21H2 Build 22000.675
       #57

    BunnyJ said:
    It is. your choice and I never said you can't do it..have at it anyway and have a great day!
    Well same to you Jeff AND hoping you and yours has a GREAT new year too!!!!! :)
    If you want too Jeff, you can take a peek at my post on "Show your Reliability History" msg# 76 where I posted a pic of my latest reliability screenshot.
      My Computers


  9. Posts : 22,741
    Windows 10 Home x64
       #58

    OldMike65 said:
    Well same to you Jeff AND hoping you and yours has a GREAT new year too!!!!! :)
    If you want too Jeff, you can take a peek at my post on "Show your Reliability History" msg# 76 where I posted a pic of my latest reliability screenshot.
    I'll check it out later and have a great new year my friend!!
      My Computer


  10. Posts : 487
    Windows 8 Pro x64
       #59

    Sumitdhiman said:
    +1.Tried and tested.[/COLOR]
    That's true. I would say it's mostly the fact that I HATE having anything in excess lying around. I like a tidy house. There can't be NO PERFORMANCE increases from the use of registry cleaners. Remember, Microsoft doesn't want to have to support system that have awry from using these tools incorrectly or irresponsibly, so they suggest against their use. But used correctly, I have seen a modicum of improvement.

    I used to use really abrasive one like RegSeeker, but I stay away from that now. Ccleaner is good enough of an all around cleanup tool.
      My Computer


 

  Related Discussions
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 21:49.
Find Us




Windows 10 Forums