Page 13 of 27 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast
  1.    31 Dec 2015 #121
    Join Date : Aug 2015
    Southeast PA
    Posts : 55
    macOS Sierra, Windows 10 Pro

    I always felt that registry cleaners are not necessary. Why would you want to mess with core components of an operating system?
    The last time I had a blue screen was in 2006.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  2.    31 Dec 2015 #122
    Join Date : Feb 2015
    Bamberg Germany
    Posts : 16,950
    Win10 Pro, Win10 Pro N, Win10 Home, Win10 Pro Insider Fast Ring, Windows 8.1 Pro, Ubuntu

    Quote Originally Posted by z31fanatic View Post
    I always felt that registry cleaners are not necessary. Why would you want to mess with core components of an operating system?
    The last time I had a blue screen was in 2006.
    That's a while! Love your avatar by the way
      My ComputersSystem Spec
  3.    31 Dec 2015 #123
    Join Date : Aug 2015
    San Francisco, California USA
    Posts : 941
    Windows XP/7/8/8.1/10, Linux, Android, FreeBSD Unix

    Quote Originally Posted by Trust_No1 View Post
    I agree with you on almost all of what you say, except for the part about empty keys don't matter. The main problem with Windows (over time) is that keys are added on, and while they may not do anything. Windows still has to read through all of those keys, which does take extra time.

    Why do you hear people say, that Windows slows down over time? It does just because (in part) as the above says. It is the same concept as searching for something. If you search for something on 1 entry as opposed to several hundred thousand, obviously the search on one entry will be much faster. So, removing all of those useless keys IMO does help. If you don't need them, get rid of them. I like a tidy closet.
    You're probably right on all counts. I guess it depends how many keys there are since I remember in the old days, they said each mouse click can add a few hundred registry entries. Over time, it will matter.

    I mean it's just like the Realtek HD Audio Drivers, as @DooGie can show you, uninstalling using the Program and Features which calls the uninstaller does not uninstall everything.

    In my case, ever since I installed version 7696 of the driver, trying to install any version of the driver has a problem. It normally uninstalls, reboots and installs but in my case, the installer after reboot only keeps doing the uninstalling process which uses Installshield. The only way I can install the new version is to exit the installer after rebooting, uninstall the version from Device Manager manually, then install without rebooting. Even selecting System Porperties -> Hardware -> Device Installation Settings to "No" will not prevent Windows from installing the default drivers. My Windows XP machine from 2002 which was working fine up to June 2009 and then I moved, powered the system on and did not change anything and the system seems as slow as a turtle like the CPU is being used 100%. Replaced the motherboard, memory and CPU and it didn't make a difference. Ever since a year ago, that system is even more funny. Now it boots up except it will show the logon screen briefly for a few minutes and regardless if you logon or not, the screen will go black for an hour with nothing but a mouse pointer for an hour before it will continue on it's boot. You don't login, it's black with the mouse pointer on the screen and then it shows the login/password screeb. You login, it logs in and then it's black with the mouse pointer on the screen for an hour before it continues to the desktop. The only reason I need it is because WinFax Pro which I have all my faxes on runs on Windows XP but not any newer Windows.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  4.    31 Dec 2015 #124
    Join Date : Aug 2015
    San Francisco, California USA
    Posts : 941
    Windows XP/7/8/8.1/10, Linux, Android, FreeBSD Unix

    Quote Originally Posted by Cliff S View Post
    That's a while! Love your avatar by the way
    I had a BSOD and that's from one of the Research Panel Scanner device when I plug the USB in but that only happened twice under Windows 10, once with 10240 and once with 10586 as it all pointed to the driver file according to the BSOD. I didn't run anything newer than XP until 2011 and Windows 7 never had a BSOD yet. Otherwise it's fine and I plug it in once a week. Your avatar is pretty cool too!
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  5.    31 Dec 2015 #125
    Join Date : May 2015
    Posts : 59
    Windows 10

    I used a registry cleaner once back in the Windows 95 days. I've been getting along just fine without them. They are basically digital snake oil.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  6.    31 Dec 2015 #126
    Join Date : Apr 2014
    Posts : 3,361
    W10 Pro x64/W7 Ultimate x64 dual boot main - W10 Pro Insider Preview/W7 Pro x64 - remote pc

    Quote Originally Posted by Drybonz View Post
    I used a registry cleaner once back in the Windows 95 days. I've been getting along just fine without them. They are basically digital snake oil.
    Now you're talking my language! The first of only a few ever even bothered with and mentioned earlier on the thread was the RegCleaner I found years back at a freebie site and still see it there now in fact. This is the one with a main window for viewing and editing individual values as well as having an auto clean option tucked away you had to look for and caution was advised since when you dumped what was selected from the main window without knowing what you were doing things simply stopped working period! RegCleaner 4.3.0.780

    Note the date for release: 01/23/2002 04:13 PM That was obviously prepared with XP in mind as well the previous 9x, ME, 2000 versions. That featured an Add/Remove Programs option along with being a clean up tool that had been lacking in Windows prior to the DiskCleanup as well as the upgraded form of Programs & Features. It certainly IS NOT Advised for anything newer then XP! MajorGeeks however simply loves to hang onto all of the outdated stuff however.
    RegCleaner 4.3.0.780 Author: Jouni Vuorio Date: 01/23/2002 04:13 PM Size: 541 KB License: Freeware Requires: Win All Downloads: 1325940 times Read more at: https://tr.im/tL
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  7.    01 Jan 2016 #127
    Join Date : Jun 2014
    Posts : 5,434
    Windows 10 Pro

    I like CCleaner and use it often. With that said, even though I use it I very rarely use the reg cleaner. On the rare occasions I have used it I always backup the registry before I proceed. I've never had any problem after using it. I also didn't notice any improvements after using it. IMHO I agree with the snake oil comparison.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  8.    01 Jan 2016 #128
    Join Date : Oct 2015
    Posts : 1,966
    Windows 10 Pro X64

    Hi,

    It certainly IS NOT Advised for anything newer then XP! MajorGeeks however simply loves to hang onto all of the outdated stuff however.
    Just gave it a run on one of my machines.
    It installs and runs lightning fast but it doesn't create an entry in the start menu.
    Still a clever piece of software though one for experts so use it with caution and a working backup.

    Cheers,
      My ComputersSystem Spec
  9.    02 Jan 2016 #129
    Join Date : Apr 2014
    Posts : 3,361
    W10 Pro x64/W7 Ultimate x64 dual boot main - W10 Pro Insider Preview/W7 Pro x64 - remote pc

    Quote Originally Posted by fdegrove View Post
    Hi,



    Just gave it a run on one of my machines.
    It installs and runs lightning fast but it doesn't create an entry in the start menu.
    Still a clever piece of software though one for experts so use it with caution and a working backup.

    Cheers,
    That's a definite on the lack of entry in the Start menu. But it's not what you would label a "Stand Alone" app being seen there however. It automatically picked out the ProgramFiles(x86) with the option to choose another location. It puts the initial shortcut on the desktop and also has the option to create more in the Menu>Options.

    As far as it running fast you have to take into consideration how things have progressed since the XP days as well as hardwares go. It should be found to run a lot faster then seen a decade ago. Don't forget you are running much faster equipment at this time then you would have been back 10, 11, 12, 13yrs. ago! A decade ago seeing a board that took 4gb of memory was rare! Now people average 8-16gb when deciding to max a custom build if not seeing 32gb while premade sees 3gb-6gb depending on the 32bit or 64bit preinstalled flavor of Windows.

    One of the main factors that would make that obsolete even for the advanced user at this time is how newer programs since have not only grown in size and even with the small apps the number of entries in the different branches of the registry are now more frequently seen. You will typically the main or one of the main entries you would find under the "HKey_LocalMachine_Software branch" while more evolved program also branch off into the "HKey_Classes_Root" at times as well as under the other two depending on the type of software or app being looked at.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	RegCleaner.jpg 
Views:	7 
Size:	233.5 KB 
ID:	56613

    Now the other thing to know about it is the uninstall option was seen with it which wasn't always the case for a good number of utility apps especially freewares at the time this came out.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	RegCleaner Unistall Option.jpg 
Views:	4 
Size:	235.0 KB 
ID:	56616

    What was good at the time was the ability to take care of stubborn app you couldn't remove or in some cases you might have run into a bug of some type like adware, spyware, trojan downloader, etc. where you could nuke the main entry once you knew what to look for. The cleaner never seemed to be intrusive where things you were keeping still ran without problems. But you had to remember the front main window was there for the advanced user only back then. You will notice the two options for Auto or Manual when looking in the regcleaner options there.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  10.    02 Jan 2016 #130
    Join Date : Aug 2015
    Southeast PA
    Posts : 55
    macOS Sierra, Windows 10 Pro

    Quote Originally Posted by Cliff S View Post
    Love your avatar by the way
      My ComputerSystem Spec

 
Page 13 of 27 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast


Similar Threads
Thread Forum
Can someone please, give me registry key for Windows Restore.
I need the Reg key to System Restore in Win10 . TIA.
Backup and Restore
Need to get this new DPI value from the registry (Windows 10)
Hello, How can I get this value: http://prntscr.com/8ck5rg From the registry? I know that in this case I need also to know what is the primary display or how to get only the primary display value because I want to get the value that set only...
General Support
Did a registry fix for KB3081424 and now can't log-in to Windows 10
Hi there, new member big problem. I recently upgraded to Win 10 Pro and things have been going very smoothly until I jumped the gun on something and made a big mistake. I have been using my Windows Live e-mail and password to log-in to...
Windows Updates and Activation
Solved What registry setting are needed to get the next build(TP)..
Right now I've got the following set up: fbl_awsome1501 but should it be: fbl_impressive?? 12505 TIA, Jeff :)
Installation and Upgrade
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 18:53.
Find Us
Twitter Facebook Google+ Ten Forums iOS App Ten Forums Android App



Windows 10 Forums