Windows 10: First real image of Microsoft Spartan browser revealed

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
  1.    08 Jan 2015 #11

    groze said: View Post
    I am a little . Is Microsoft making a separate browser or is Spartan going to be integrated into the operating system? For example, if a application use I.E. controls, will the application be using Spartan controls instead? I know a lot of 3rd party software depends on Internet Explorer being installed. Including virus protection programs.
    well according to Mary Jo Foley and Paul Thurrott on windows weekly IE still going to be there too
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  2.    08 Jan 2015 #12

    Dave44 said: View Post
    groze said: View Post
    I am a little . Is Microsoft making a separate browser or is Spartan going to be integrated into the operating system? For example, if a application use I.E. controls, will the application be using Spartan controls instead? I know a lot of 3rd party software depends on Internet Explorer being installed. Including virus protection programs.
    well according to Mary Jo Foley and Paul Thurrott on windows weekly IE still going to be there too
    IE11 will be there and will be supported for some time for websites that are designed to make use of it. Spartan is the new direction that MS is going with their browser for the future.

    Jeff
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  3.    08 Jan 2015 #13

    I read the title so fast I thought it read "First real image of Michigan Spartan browser revealed"

    I thought WOW, Spartans got there own browser, LOL
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  4.    08 Jan 2015 #14

    Michigan ST Spartan's ..
    Michigan Wolverines

      My ComputerSystem Spec

  5.    08 Jan 2015 #15

    I hope they improve the add on support in the new browser, IE's method leaves a lot to be desired.
      My ComputersSystem Spec


  6. Posts : 639
    Windows 10 1703 Pro 64
       08 Jan 2015 #16

    More information on Spartan by Mary Jo posted today.

    Microsoft's 'Spartan' browser: More details leak | ZDNet

    Jim
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  7.    09 Jan 2015 #17

    Hi there

    There's nothing wrong with IE that a miracle couldn't cure - however so long as it isn't riddled with zillions of plugins and takes ages to set up and configure properly (like Firefox has become) then the Spartan Browser might be OK.

    Quite frankly for streaming services I'd rather have a SEPARATE dedicated app to do that -- for example if I want to watch Netflix or SKY GO for example why should I have to use a BROWSER. I can use things like PLEX to remotely stream video to a smart TV without having to use browsers. If the Browser needs to play video then it could call the dedicated app. Would make the browser a lot more secure too whatever the web site's vulnerabilities.

    Note - if you start incorporating extras into browsers like say "Cortana" then it hardly merits the name Spartan any more does it.

    Cheers
    jimbo
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  8.    09 Jan 2015 #18

    Some of us don't have smart TV's and have to use an APP or browser to watch Netfilx, I happen to be one for example.

    Jeff
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  9.    09 Jan 2015 #19

    BunnyJ said: View Post
    Some of us don't have smart TV's and have to use an APP or browser to watch Netfilx, I happen to be one for example.

    Jeff
    Hi there

    The browser should still say be able to load an application and present it to the video device rather than run it from WITHIN the browser. As far as the external user is concerned it would look exactly like the browser was running the way it works currently -- but it would be a lot more secure and only the application would need updating not the browser. It would also get rid of those zillions of plugins and addons.

    I don't know too much about programming but to my Engineers way of thinking it would be a lot easier to call a separate module than have the whole lot kludged up as a total piece of spaghetti which could be (and are) riddled with security loopholes. Just think of the number of security patches that have been made to browsers running malicious code loaded by some dubious website.

    Cheers
    jimbo
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  10.    09 Jan 2015 #20

    jimbo45 said: View Post
    BunnyJ said: View Post
    Some of us don't have smart TV's and have to use an APP or browser to watch Netfilx, I happen to be one for example.

    Jeff
    Hi there

    The browser should still say be able to load an application and present it to the video device rather than run it from WITHIN the browser. As far as the external user is concerned it would look exactly like the browser was running the way it works currently -- but it would be a lot more secure and only the application would need updating not the browser. It would also get rid of those zillions of plugins and addons.

    I don't know too much about programming but to my Engineers way of thinking it would be a lot easier to call a separate module than have the whole lot kludged up as a total piece of spaghetti which could (and are) riddled with security loopholes.

    Cheers
    jimbo
    Thanks for the clarification Jimbo. And yes, it would be much preferable to call a module than build it into the browser or any program.

    Jeff
      My ComputerSystem Spec


 
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Related Threads
Read more: Hands on with Microsoft's next gen 'Project Spartan' web browser | Windows Central
Read more: Hands on with Microsofts new browser, Spartan
Read more: Microsofts why See also: Internet Explorer Edge Mode - Enable or Disable - Windows 10 Forums
Microsoft delivers new Windows 10 preview without Spartan browser | The Verge
Read more: Microsoft Spartan: One browser for all versions of Windows 10 - Neowin
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:24.
Find Us