Windows 10: Microsoft apologizes for offending OneDrive fans, but won't restore un

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
  1.    12 Dec 2015 #21

    lx07 said: View Post
    A bit off topic but what happens if you get a crypto virus? It will encrypt onedrive right?
    Anything that is a mapped drive (drive letter or folder) will be encrypted.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  2.    12 Dec 2015 #22

    simrick said: View Post
    Anything that is a mapped drive (drive letter or folder) will be encrypted.
    Something to look forward to then
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  3.    12 Dec 2015 #23

    pparks1 said: View Post
    You realize it synchronizes between your PC and the cloud. It's in at least 2 places. Also, hard drives in your home may not protect you if your house burns down. (Happened to my sister). Cloud storage isn't necessary terrible. I am sure that MS does more backups than lots of normal folks.
    Patrick, in my neck of the woods, houses don't burn down. They are built of concrete and to standards that the US can only dream of.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  4. Posts : 26
    Windows 7 SP1 Home Premium
       12 Dec 2015 #24

    whs said: View Post
    I don't care about free. My data is worth more than the price of a few disks.
    Totally agreed, once any truly important data is out of your hands there is no guarantee that it will be safe and secure, if not possibly disappearing all together.

    I'm not telling others what to do, but the prudent thing to do is keep that critical data in YOUR hands if possible, not in the cloud.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  5. larc919's Avatar
    Posts : 378
    Windows 10 Pro x3 Windows 10 Home x1
       12 Dec 2015 #25

    legacy7955 said: View Post
    Totally agreed, once any truly important data is out of your hands there is no guarantee that it will be safe and secure, if not possibly disappearing all together.
    Handing your valuable data over to Microsoft for safekeeping is a bit like getting a fox to guard your hen house.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  6.    13 Dec 2015 #26

    The biggest problem with all of this, is, anything Microsoft offers or does, is always changed or abandoned in the future. What you buy today will change later. The only thing about Microsoft I trust is that they will change it or abandoned it.

    Personally OneDrive has always been a pain in butt for me. I try to strip it out as best I can.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  7.    13 Dec 2015 #27

    Hi there

    Another good reason to avoid using Cloud facilities -- as in this case you can never be sure if and when the conditions change so if you base your strategy (Backups / music etc) on facilities provided by these "Cloud Providers" you could (as in this case) be stuck or have to suffer a load of inconvenience while migrating to something else.

    Google might be OK for now but again even with their deep pockets you can't guarantee the same won't happen further down the line.

    With local HDD space SO CHEAP these days why bother with remote providers any more -- even while travelling I can take two fairly tiny self powered USB drives of 2TB each -- cost around 90 USD each -- and getting cheaper all the time.

    The cloud is still IMO "Cloud Cuckoo Land" -- might be OK for corporations but for individuals -- avoid. !!

    There's plenty of methods for file sharing these days -- and with fast broadband available nearly everywhere you could even make your own server for pennies -- Linux based --Google for LAMP or Windows based Google for WAMP.

    As far as losing data due to Earthquakes, floods, house fires, accidental destruction, burglars etc - it's a simple matter to have more than one copy of backup and store it elsewhere -- even an office desk at work if you don't like Banks or haven't got convenient neighbour's, friends or other family members houses to store the extra backup in.

    I think though in Earthquake / flood / fire situation you'd have more to worry about than some music / video tracks and PC backups. !!!!

    Cheers
    jimbo
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  8.    13 Dec 2015 #28

    jimbo45 said: View Post
    Hi there

    Another good reason to avoid using Cloud facilities -- as in this case you can never be sure if and when the conditions change so if you base your strategy (Backups / music etc) on facilities provided by these "Cloud Providers" you could (as in this case) be stuck or have to suffer a load of inconvenience while migrating to something else.

    Google might be OK for now but again even with their deep pockets you can't guarantee the same won't happen further down the line.

    With local HDD space SO CHEAP these days why bother with remote providers any more -- even while travelling I can take two fairly tiny self powered USB drives of 2TB each -- cost around 90 USD each -- and getting cheaper all the time.

    The cloud is still IMO "Cloud Cuckoo Land" -- might be OK for corporations but for individuals -- avoid. !!

    There's plenty of methods for file sharing these days -- and with fast broadband available nearly everywhere you could even make your own server for pennies -- Linux based --Google for LAMP or Windows based Google for WAMP.

    Cheers
    jimbo
    Hmmm.. agreed but I'll stay away from Google for personal info!
    Also tho' not all have fast DSL (fibre-optic speeds) - something Redmond has still to realise... either way, personally I want my data close at hand.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  9. jerrypc1's Avatar
    Posts : 709
    windows 10 home premium
       13 Dec 2015 #29

    I Agree with you ...Superfly
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  10.    13 Dec 2015 #30

    whs said: View Post
    Patrick, in my neck of the woods, houses don't burn down. They are built of concrete and to standards that the US can only dream of.
    Hi there

    However there are other things such as "Uninvited Guests" (Burglars !! although in my neighbourhood these are pratically unheard of) or accidental damage, erasure or loss.

    It always makes sense to have more than one copy of important backups - and store the extra copy in a different location --even in your work's desk if you haven't anywhere else you can use as an off site location.

    I re-iterate again that important data is best handled by YOU -- HDD space is ridiculously cheap these days and Ms isn't the only company to change conditions mid flight. What about some mobile phone providers for starters. Loads of other examples I'm sure you can think of.

    Also what is the legal definition of "Reasonable Use". They can make this up as they go along.

    A bit like the Law they have over in the U.K --you can get arrested for "Liable to cause a breach of the Peace" -- and that seems to be up to any old "Plod" in the street (local police) to decide.

    Some of my data is far more valuable than the equipment it resides on -- so I'm NOT going to entrust it to unknown servers with probably low paid and even lower skilled staff in some 3rd world country.

    Cheers
    jimbo
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


 
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Related Threads
Dell admits installing security hole on laptops, apologizes, offers fix | Network World Dell acknowledges security hole in new laptops http://www.reuters.com/article/2015/11/23/us-usa-cybersecurity-dell-idUSKBN0TC2L120151123
Source
Source: https://blog.onedrive.com/onedrive_burns_brightly_at_microsoft_ignite
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:56.
Find Us
Twitter Facebook Google+ Ten Forums iOS App Ten Forums Android App



Windows 10 Forums