Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910 LastLast

  1. Joined : Jan 2014
    Posts : 246
       28 Dec 2014 #71

    Wynona said: View Post
    Lady Fitzgerald said: View Post
    You should see th glasses I wear; six lenses (trifocals). All seriousness aside, I hear you. I have a pair of readers I use just for working on the computer at home.
    Every time I get my glasses changed, Lady Fitzgerald, I have a pair for everyday wear (bifocals), a pair of readers for everyday reading (can't stand reading with the bifocals) and a pair of computer glasses (don't like looking up through the bottom of the bifocals)...
    When trying to use my computer at home while wearing my trifocals, I have to angle my head up and keep switching between the middle and bottom lenses and wind up quickly getting one seriously sore neck! I use a cheap pair of drugstore readers for when working at my computer that are a compromise between my trifocal's mid-rage lenses and the reading lenses.

    If I try to watch TV while laying in bed, the reading lenses in my trifocals are the only ones I can see the TV through, which does not work at all sense I need the long ranged lenses. If I push the trifocals down my nose so I can see through the correct lenses, I'm then watching TV through a couple of small windows; 'tis very annoying. So, I got another pair of el cheapo drug store readers to watch TV through.

    Wynona said: View Post
    ...Now, if we could just get monitors that are specifically for our particular vision problems, I would be very happy.
    Sounds good but I would hate to replace three very expensive monitors every time my prescription changed. Even better would monitors that were adjustable for our particular vision problems. Now, that would be sweet.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  2. Joined : Jan 2014
    Washington
    Posts : 302
    Windows 10 10586
       29 Dec 2014 #72

    I'm keeping the Start Screen and will keep the Start Screen in all provisioned deployments I'll do for 10. If anyone has been toying around with the new Start Screen, it's basically a mosh of Start menu and Start Screen with bits of Windows 8 and Windows Phone together with 7's menu all in one screen. The early early concept of it is in one of the builds. Basically, All Apps is together with the rest of the Start Screen in one same view, but All Apps is more of the Windows Phone style. It's overall nicer looking I find and more versatile.

    But to each their own. Some like drop down menus, some like more useful Ribbons and versatility.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  3. Joined : Dec 2013
    Posts : 165
    Windows 8.1.1 64-bit
       29 Dec 2014 #73

    I use the All Apps screen (sorted by Category, and culled of unwanted tiles) and Quick-Launch. I've seen the Start Screen, which I STILL dislike, about three times in total, I haven't even bothered to set it up or customise it. I don't run a 3rd-party start menu.


    Wenda.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  4. Joined : Aug 2014
    Australia, Adelaide
    Posts : 1,392
    W7 Ultimate SP1 (64 bit), LM 18.1 MATE (64 bit), W10IP VM, W10 Home
       29 Dec 2014 #74

    Coke Robot said: View Post
    Some like drop down menus, some like more useful Ribbons and versatility.
    "More useful Ribbons" like the Context Ribbons that cannot be seen at all, until you click in a specific location in a document/file?
    Worse, there is no indication that the options even exist, so you can't even look them up.

    At least with drop-down menus you can see what options are available, even if you can't access them.
    Knowing the options exist means you can actually look up how to access them.

    The only Ribbons I find helpful are in Excel.

    IMO, it's still debatable whether or not they are superior to the toolbars in Excel 2003.
    Two custom toolbars were enough to hold every common function and there was enough space for a handful of more esoteric ones.

    Note:
    I'm talking about the Office 2007 Ribbons.
    I haven't had access and/or time to play with the newer versions, which are supposedly improved.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  5. Joined : Oct 2013
    Posts : 1,962
    Windows 7
       29 Dec 2014 #75

    I love ribbons. I can go from product to product and I am never discombobulated.. And it's an old trick - if there is something you don't see, you right click somewhere on the top. LOL
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  6. Joined : Jan 2014
    Washington
    Posts : 302
    Windows 10 10586
       29 Dec 2014 #76

    lehnerus2000 said: View Post
    Coke Robot said: View Post
    Some like drop down menus, some like more useful Ribbons and versatility.
    "More useful Ribbons" like the Context Ribbons that cannot be seen at all, until you click in a specific location in a document/file?
    Worse, there is no indication that the options even exist, so you can't even look them up.

    At least with drop-down menus you can see what options are available, even if you can't access them.
    Knowing the options exist means you can actually look up how to access them.

    The only Ribbons I find helpful are in Excel.

    IMO, it's still debatable whether or not they are superior to the toolbars in Excel 2003.
    Two custom toolbars were enough to hold every common function and there was enough space for a handful of more esoteric ones.

    Note:
    I'm talking about the Office 2007 Ribbons.
    I haven't had access and/or time to play with the newer versions, which are supposedly improved.
    The Ribbons in Windows 8, Office 2010 and 2013 show every single command available depending on what context the file or object contains.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  7. Joined : Aug 2014
    Australia, Adelaide
    Posts : 1,392
    W7 Ultimate SP1 (64 bit), LM 18.1 MATE (64 bit), W10IP VM, W10 Home
       30 Dec 2014 #77

    whs said: View Post
    I love ribbons. I can go from product to product and I am never discombobulated.. And it's an old trick - if there is something you don't see, you right click somewhere on the top. LOL
    I'm not sure what you mean.

    Here is a screenshot from Office 2010.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Office 2010 - Right Click.png 
Views:	54 
Size:	28.7 KB 
ID:	9901

    Coke Robot said: View Post
    The Ribbons in Windows 8, Office 2010 and 2013 show every single command available depending on what context the file or object contains.
    That is why I said "Context Ribbons".

    Where is the:
    • Table Ribbon if you don't click in a table?
    • Header & Footer Ribbon is if you don't click in the header or footer?


    I wouldn't be surprised to find out that there a dozens of Ribbons I've never seen, because I haven't clicked at the right time.

    It also seems that the commands I'm interested in, are hidden under the little squiggle button in each section.

    I realise that I'm in the minority with my opinions about the Ribbon.
    It is mysteriously loved by lots of people (just like Chrome).
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  8. Joined : Oct 2013
    Posts : 1,962
    Windows 7
       30 Dec 2014 #78

    I think it is pretty clear what the tabs and symbols mean. Example Word.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2014-12-30_2136.png 
Views:	70 
Size:	141.3 KB 
ID:	9903

    And it very similar in e.g. PowerPoint.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2014-12-30_2140.png 
Views:	24 
Size:	136.1 KB 
ID:	9904
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  9. Joined : Jan 2014
    Posts : 246
       30 Dec 2014 #79

    lehnerus2000 said: View Post
    I'm not sure what you mean.

    Here is a screenshot from Office 2010.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Office 2010 - Right Click.png 
Views:	54 
Size:	28.7 KB 
ID:	9901

    Coke Robot said: View Post
    The Ribbons in Windows 8, Office 2010 and 2013 show every single command available depending on what context the file or object contains.
    That is why I said "Context Ribbons".

    Where is the:
    • Table Ribbon if you don't click in a table?
    • Header & Footer Ribbon is if you don't click in the header or footer?


    I wouldn't be surprised to find out that there a dozens of Ribbons I've never seen, because I haven't clicked at the right time.

    It also seems that the commands I'm interested in, are hidden under the little squiggle button in each section.

    I realise that I'm in the minority with my opinions about the Ribbon.
    It is mysteriously loved by lots of people (just like Chrome).
    Funny, I love the ribbon and hate Chrome. Go figure.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  10. Joined : Jan 2014
    Washington
    Posts : 302
    Windows 10 10586
       30 Dec 2014 #80

    lehnerus2000 said: View Post
    I'm not sure what you mean.

    Here is a screenshot from Office 2010.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Office 2010 - Right Click.png 
Views:	54 
Size:	28.7 KB 
ID:	9901

    Coke Robot said: View Post
    The Ribbons in Windows 8, Office 2010 and 2013 show every single command available depending on what context the file or object contains.
    That is why I said "Context Ribbons".

    Where is the:
    • Table Ribbon if you don't click in a table?
    • Header & Footer Ribbon is if you don't click in the header or footer?


    I wouldn't be surprised to find out that there a dozens of Ribbons I've never seen, because I haven't clicked at the right time.

    It also seems that the commands I'm interested in, are hidden under the little squiggle button in each section.

    I realise that I'm in the minority with my opinions about the Ribbon.
    It is mysteriously loved by lots of people (just like Chrome).
    That's been a nonissue for me and lot of people since at least 2009. You don't need the Table editing or Header editing tools when you haven't selected them. I haven't used Office 2003 for many many years but when I did have to use it past 2007, that was frustrating as it seemed commands were hidden and tucked away. That is the entire point of the Ribbon to take those bajillion commands and put them at the forefront and the ones that are context enabled only show up with those objects selected. Why have a Table editing ribbon showing at the same time when you haven't even inserted a table? It would make the Ribbon have too many tabs that aren't even usable. The more advanced commands are much more easily accessible by hitting the little expand arrow in each box, again advanced commands aren't used frequently enough to merit the need for them to be showing and present all the time.

    There are about maybe half a dozen context tabs in Office, maybe a bit more because of PowerPoint and Excel.

    But either way, this is debating which side of the bread slice is best to butter. The drop down menu based UI of Office was dreadful and required going through each and every menu entry to see where the command you needed was under. The Ribbon UI took all those commands and put them front and center, but kept the non-frequently used or context based tabs out of the spotlight only when needed. Actually, there is a better side of the bread slice here...
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


 
Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910 LastLast


Similar Threads
Thread Forum
Solved Post your Windows 10 Start menu or Start Screen
This thread is meant to showcase the new Windows 10 Start menu with tiles or the more familiar Windows 8 Start Screen. You can use either the Start Menu or Start Screen by following Brink's Tutorial 5538 Start Menu 5539
Customization
2 Local users on 1 machine, login screen trouble
Hello, Im having trouble configuring the welcome or login screen in the Win10 OS. I have 2 local users, one with password. When i boot the OS, Windows automatically logs into the last logged user. I dont want that. I want to choose between user1 or...
General Support
Touch users - what do you use to clean the screen
Hi there I like playing with some touch stuff on a laptop - but what do you use to clean the screen -- in bright sunlight it's easy to see some smear / finger marks (Yes even in Iceland you do get some sunshine !!!!!). Water (even the 100%...
General Support
Start Menu Will Replace Start Screen in Threshold
Source Looked around and didn't see this exact piece of news in any threads. Lock me if old. Imo, I just hope they won't still try to make live tiles down our throats. That's my biggest hunch about the rumored Win8 Update 2 Start Menu.
Windows 10 News
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:16.
Find Us
Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 10 Forums