Big changes for Windows: Monetize differently says MS exec

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

  1. Posts : 5,833
    Dual boot Windows 10 FCU Pro x 64 & current Insider 10 Pro
       #10

    Didn't we go round and round with this about Office? I agree with Mystere in that there will always be a "full price" version, just as Office. That will suit some while the subscription model will fit others. As long as there's a choice, who cares?
      My Computers


  2. Posts : 22,741
    Windows 10 Home x64
       #11

    HippsieGypsie said:
    Didn't we go round and round with this about Office? I agree with Mystere in that there will always be a "full price" version, just as Office. That will suit some while the subscription model will fit others. As long as there's a choice, who cares?

    YES!! If we all have a choice then that's all that really matters and if the fee that MS charges in nominal then I can live with that!

    Jeff :)
      My Computer


  3. Posts : 71
    Windows 10 Pro x64
       #12

    As long as you need windows there will be buyers sub or no sub, however when people realise that you can do everything you want with some other OS like OSX, Android or Linux they will leave MS.
      My Computer


  4. Posts : 22,741
    Windows 10 Home x64
       #13

    echrada said:
    As long as you need windows there will be buyers sub or no sub, however when people realise that you can do everything you want with some other OS like OSX, Android or Linux they will leave MS.
    OSX.. that would usually mean buying a Apple product and that's another cost issue for some of us. And wile I like Linux it's just not the OS for me.
      My Computer


  5. Posts : 487
    Windows 8 Pro x64
       #14

    BunnyJ said:
    HippsieGypsie said:
    Didn't we go round and round with this about Office? I agree with Mystere in that there will always be a "full price" version, just as Office. That will suit some while the subscription model will fit others. As long as there's a choice, who cares?

    YES!! If we all have a choice then that's all that really matters and if the fee that MS charges in nominal then I can live with that!

    Jeff :)
    Yes, but that's a transitional step, me thinks! :). I'm sure the idea is to migrate office all over the online delivered subscription mode. Heck, back in 1999 and 2000, Microsoft was originally going to use the .NET moniker, not to denote an application framework, but to promote a line of online/centralized applications, such as office.

    Hey, I'm not a fan of subscription either, so that's why I'll stick with Vista for now, and then go to 8.1 in 2017. I think a lot of the new vocal fans of Windows 10 TP posting on here will slowly change their minds about how great 10 is, and go back to a previous Windows version.
      My Computer


  6. Posts : 1,557
    W10 32 bit, XUbuntu 18.xx 64 bit
       #15

    HippsieGypsie said:
    Didn't we go round and round with this about Office? I agree with Mystere in that there will always be a "full price" version, just as Office. That will suit some while the subscription model will fit others. As long as there's a choice, who cares?

    How would that work with OEM computers? I can't see retailers stocking two computer models, one subscription and one non-subscription. However, I do see chromebook may make a comeback if this happens. More people are using Google Chrome broswer despite the privacy issues.
    Last edited by groze; 10 Dec 2014 at 10:43.
      My Computer


  7. Posts : 3,080
    W10 Pro + W10 Preview
       #16

    Interesting reading, free basic upgrade but paying for extras, free for W10 Preview users ?
    Will Windows 10 be a free update? | PC Pro
      My Computers


  8. Posts : 1,557
    W10 32 bit, XUbuntu 18.xx 64 bit
       #17

    I hope it doesn't come to this though.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Big changes for Windows: Monetize differently says MS exec-a1.png  
      My Computer


  9. Posts : 4
    Windows 7
       #18

    Microsoft does not want you buying their software and running on it for 10 years. I still have XP and 2003 office that are doing just fine for what they do.

    They want to make sure a month doesn't go by that they don't see your wallet. Lets see if they offer any option to just pay for things once and be done with it. I bet there is no option at all for that.
      My Computer


  10. Posts : 630
       #19

    I am uncertain what Microsoft will do, but it is clear they have a definite problem,
    the National Education department are going the way of chromebooks

    Chromebooks!

    School District Chose Google Chromebooks - Business Insider

    and PC Magazine just last month selected OSX Yosemite as the best OS of 2014.

    Apple OS X Yosemite 10.10.1 Review & Rating | PCMag.com

    So Microsoft's challenge is enormous.
    I believe they must be very, very careful as to how Windows 10 is presented and offered.
      My Computer


 

  Related Discussions
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 23:10.
Find Us




Windows 10 Forums