Win 7 and XP are the biggest losers with Windows 10's rapid growth

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Win 7 and XP are the biggest losers with Windows 10's rapid growth

    Win 7 and XP are the biggest losers with Windows 10's rapid growth


    Posted: 29 Nov 2015
    Windows 7 and XP are the biggest losers with Windows 10's rapid growth - US Government

    Win 7 and XP are the biggest losers with Windows 10's rapid growth-us-govt-analytics-windows-versions-2015_story.jpg

    The latest data from the massive United States Digital Analytics program shows that Windows 10 usage has climbed sharply, with older versions, including Windows 7 and Windows XP, dropping steeply. The only other desktop platform showing signs of growth is Chrome OS.
    Since its launch into the public sphere earlier this year, Windows 10 has been gaining users in leaps and bounds. The data we've seen coming out from various sources, such as Net Applications, has been backed up by the US Government's Digital Analytics Program (DAP) which suggests that among Windows users, 12.4% of them are running Windows 10 - up from 8% in August.
    Read more: http://www.neowin.net/news/windows-7...-us-government

    ZDNet: http://www.zdnet.com/article/us-gove...tag=RSSbaffb68
    Cluster Head's Avatar Posted By: Cluster Head
    29 Nov 2015


  1. Posts : 79
    Windows 10 Pro x64 Build 14393.0 Slow Ring
       #1

    While I never used either of them (XP through September for me), I'm surprised that Vista continues to have a larger share than W8. I suppose it confirms how much people disliked W8!
      My Computer

  2. alphanumeric's Avatar
    Posts : 14,145
    Windows 10 IoT
       #2

    XP seems to be installed on a lot of embedded devices like instant tellers. And running legacy programs on systems with no internet access. Programs that won't run on any newer OS. It could take ages to kill off XP. Windows 2000 was my all time favorite OS for a long time. I eventually moved to XP but wouldn't actually say it was better. 7 just seemed to be more of the same. I didn't like 8.0 all that much. 8.1 IMHO was a big improvement and had me wanting to run it. A lot of people that hated 8 likely never bothered to even try 8.1 or 10. I'm running 10. Some things I like some I don't. The I like out weigh the I don't so it's a keeper. I much prefer the Windows 8.1 Start Screen/All Apps Screen versus the Windows 10 Start Screen/All Apps menu. I can live with it but IMHO it's a step backward and awkward to use.
      My Computer

  3. Winuser's Avatar
    Posts : 7,001
    Windows 10 Pro Insider
       #3

    IMHO instead of releasing 8.0, MS should have waited until 8.1 was ready to be released.
      My Computers

  4. DustSailor's Avatar
    Posts : 463
    Windows 10 Home and Pro
       #4

    alphanumeric said:
    I much prefer the Windows 8.1 Start Screen/All Apps Screen versus the Windows 10 Start Screen/All Apps menu. I can live with it but IMHO it's a step backward and awkward to use.
    Just change it back in ten, then: Start Full-screen - Turn On or Off in Windows 10 - Windows 10 Forums

    Doverboy said:
    While I never used either of them (XP through September for me), I'm surprised that Vista continues to have a larger share than W8. I suppose it confirms how much people disliked W8!
    No, not really. Win 8.1 came out for free, so people probably just upgraded to it:
      My Computer

  5. Berton's Avatar
    Posts : 10,743
    Win10 Pro Versions 2004 and 2009/20H2, Win10 Pro IP_Dev, Win10 Home 1909
       #5

    IMHO, Windows 8 is okay when one keeps in mind it's best with a touch-screen display, seems the aim of Microsoft was to bring it into line with the other touch-screen things like cars, smartphones, household appliances, etc. I think they did not take into consideration the adverse feedback from folks that have been using computers for some time, didn't want their 'apple-cart' upset. Windows 8.1 was a step in the right direction to assuage those folks and Windows 10 is more a blend of Windows 7 and Windows 8.1. Touch-screen seems to be better on Notebooks that typically are used closer to a person's eyes while a Desktop monitor is frequently beyond a comfortable reach for one's fingers.

    As with nearly every new version of an Operating System there are 'legacy' devices that won't work, have seen it since starting with MS-DOS 5.0 and Windows 3.1 back in '92.

    A lot of things not working is support for older devices require programmers to write the drivers but they need to be paid and if those older devices have been out of the marketing/supply channels too long there's no sales of them therefore there's no money to pay the programmers. Sure, it's a shame but also simply a matter of economics. There's a number of devices that have drivers included in Windows but they may not always be exactly correct for what a person has, does cause problems but it's up to what is supplied to Microsoft as to whether they work.
      My Computers

  6. zooburner's Avatar
    Posts : 348
    Windows 10 Pro
       #6

    I guess Windows 7 had to be the biggest causality, it being the market leader.

    Also Windows 7 is not appearing on new computers unless specifically asked for and only then with custom PC makers, whereas Windows 10 is. Windows 8.1 is still on many laptops and desktops I see for sale, which may account for its relatively slow decline (which will accelerate as retailers sell out of pre loaded Windows 8.1 machines)

    Windows 10 can ONLY increase it's market share being the new O.S. I suppose it could loose some market share but almost impossible, it's more likely to see reduction in up graders.
      My Computer

  7. Atomic1977's Avatar
    Posts : 801
    Windows 10 Home version 20H2 64bit OS Build 19042.928
       #7

    I am not surprised to see this. I was a Vista person for several years. I have had my share of time with windows xp and previous versions of windows. I did not really get much time with 8.1 before I switched this almost 1 year old pc to windows 10. As things get better with 10 I'm sure that's where people will go in the next few years.
      My Computers

  8. Trust_No1's Avatar
    Posts : 630
       #8

    alphanumeric said:
    XP seems to be installed on a lot of embedded devices like instant tellers. And running legacy programs on systems with no internet access. Programs that won't run on any newer OS. It could take ages to kill off XP. Windows 2000 was my all time favorite OS for a long time. I eventually moved to XP but wouldn't actually say it was better. 7 just seemed to be more of the same. I didn't like 8.0 all that much. 8.1 IMHO was a big improvement and had me wanting to run it. A lot of people that hated 8 likely never bothered to even try 8.1 or 10. I'm running 10. Some things I like some I don't. The I like out weigh the I don't so it's a keeper. I much prefer the Windows 8.1 Start Screen/All Apps Screen versus the Windows 10 Start Screen/All Apps menu. I can live with it but IMHO it's a step backward and awkward to use.
    Pretty much agree, other than Windows 10, I doubt I will ever use it, or by the time I try it will no longer be Windows 10.

    I still believe if Windows 8, would have kept the Windows 7 style menu, Windows 10 would never have happened. Unfortunate, as I much prefer the Windows 8 metro interface over 10's.
      My Computer


  9. Posts : 59
    Windows 10
       #9

    My mom called me up today and told me she was on Windows 10 now and wanted to know if that was ok... lol

    These numbers aren't really surprising when MS is forcing the upgrades... nor do they reflect, sometimes, that people even wanted the upgrade. In my mom's case she didn't even know what was going on.
      My Computer


 
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

  Related Discussions
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 19:10.
Find Us




Windows 10 Forums