Windows 8.1 Start Screen vs. Windows 10 Start Menu

Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

  1. Posts : 5,834
    Dual boot Windows 10 FCU Pro x 64 & current Insider 10 Pro
       #70

    Thanks, Dave. Yes, it is a matter of choice and hopefully in 10 both camps will have a choice. I'm glad to read you find the Start Screen more useful.

    I stand corrected and should phrase reference to the Start screen vs Start menu differently. It should be that Apps view replaces the left side of the Start menu and the Start screen replaces the right side of the Start menu. This is true of the cascading of a menu examples people give and in line with the terminology MS uses. Thanks for sharing that. :)
      My Computers

  2. CountMike's Avatar
    Posts : 18,369
    W10+Developer Insider + Linux
       #71

    HippsieGypsie said:
    Thanks, Dave. Yes, it is a matter of choice and hopefully in 10 both camps will have a choice. I'm glad to read you find the Start Screen more useful.

    I stand corrected and should phrase reference to the Start screen vs Start menu differently. It should be that Apps view replaces the left side of the Start menu and the Start screen replaces the right side of the Start menu. This is true of the cascading of a menu examples people give and in line with the terminology MS uses. Thanks for sharing that. :)
    You are quite right about that + "Recent" included in a big mess. I'm just waiting to see what else is going to be implemented til last version but have a hunch there's going to be a lot of work for me to get everything to look and work my way.
      My Computers


  3. Posts : 5,834
    Dual boot Windows 10 FCU Pro x 64 & current Insider 10 Pro
       #72

    Count, “Recent”? Reinstalled (fresh) W10TP over the weekend due to bluescreening and using the Start menu. Recent for me isn’t that large yet. A couple of items. I’m taking it that it gets quite large?

    We do or did spend some time setting our systems up the way we like them. Going from 8RP to 8, then on to 8.1 was a dream in that everything carried over because of account backup. Same on my Lumia with 8 to 8.1. Very little fiddling around. Most things as were. Some may like to fiddle around with systems, but I have not the desire nor a lot of time to do so. I’m more like the “commoner” or the non-techie, but consider myself more of a power user than just using for consumption. I do use it for business, but not nearly as much as in the past. I also enjoy “peeking in” on the “next” OS.

    MS must consider various types of users. Most do not know systems like members here. Most want ease of use. Plop some icons on the Taskbar and/or desktop or on the Start screen and they’re happier than pigs in a pile. Show them they can carry the same configuration over to the next OS or device via an account and I’d think they’d be happier yet. Too many people focus too much on what we want here and forget about the rest of the world. The “we” includes me at times.

    With that > I have a house to remodel > I gotta go. :)
      My Computers

  4. CountMike's Avatar
    Posts : 18,369
    W10+Developer Insider + Linux
       #73

    HippsieGypsie said:
    Count, “Recent”? Reinstalled (fresh) W10TP over the weekend due to bluescreening and using the Start menu. Recent for me isn’t that large yet. A couple of items. I’m taking it that it gets quite large?

    We do or did spend some time setting our systems up the way we like them. Going from 8RP to 8, then on to 8.1 was a dream in that everything carried over because of account backup. Same on my Lumia with 8 to 8.1. Very little fiddling around. Most things as were. Some may like to fiddle around with systems, but I have not the desire nor a lot of time to do so. I’m more like the “commoner” or the non-techie, but consider myself more of a power user than just using for consumption. I do use it for business, but not nearly as much as in the past. I also enjoy “peeking in” on the “next” OS.

    MS must consider various types of users. Most do not know systems like members here. Most want ease of use. Plop some icons on the Taskbar and/or desktop or on the Start screen and they’re happier than pigs in a pile. Show them they can carry the same configuration over to the next OS or device via an account and I’d think they’d be happier yet. Too many people focus too much on what we want here and forget about the rest of the world. The “we” includes me at times.

    With that > I have a house to remodel > I gotta go. :)
    I meant "Recent" as in recently opened programs. Happy painting.
      My Computers


  5. Posts : 19
    Windows 10 build 9879
       #74

    WightWalker said:
    Trust_No1 said:
    I do a lot of photo/video editing (and gaming) so desktop view is very natural to use, however for my social stuff, browsing mags, Netflix, etc., Metro offers a lot of nice venues.

    So, I like both, however I am not at all happy about the Windows 10 start Menu so a third party application is my choice.

    I still don't understand why they brought another tiled menu into the mix, the start screen is optimum for tiles, and all they needed to do was add a Windows 7 menu. I just don't follow Microsoft's logic.
    Ditto.

    It doesn't take a genius to work out what's need in Windows 10 - Windows 8 with Windows 7 Start Menu or Windows 8 with Stardock Start8.

    Personally, I'll probably stick with Windows 7 but find Windows 8 with Start8 a good compromise. However, I don't like the increased security restrictions with Windows 8/10.
    DITTO+2. For casual/personal/social use, even on my desktop systems, I much prefer a "live" screen that parallels the mobile experience I get on my phone and [Android] tablet. Even though I don't have a touch screen on my desktop systems I still find the Start screen and some Metro apps very useful. On my 8.1 systems I have switched my email and social stuff entirely to Metro apps. It's just a more satisfying experience even without touch capability.

    But I still want a Start menu when I'm on the Windows desktop. And I don't want it cluttered with tiles.

    I've made my personal choice: I don't want a compromise (as it is now in 10) and I don't want to have to choose. I want both a "live" Start screen AND I want a proper Start menu, a la Win 7, when I'm using the desktop.

    ...ken...
      My Computer

  6. whs's Avatar
    whs
    Posts : 1,935
    Windows 7
       #75

    I still find the Start screen and some Metro apps very useful.
    I am still looking for a useful Metro app. Can you share which ones you think are useful.
      My Computer


  7. Posts : 19
    Windows 10 build 9879
       #76

    whs said:
    I still find the Start screen and some Metro apps very useful.
    I am still looking for a useful Metro app. Can you share which ones you think are useful.
    That will be pretty difficult without knowing what more you want to be able to do besides run normal Windows desktop programs.

    I much prefer the built-in Mail app to any desktop email clients I've used. I love Metromail for my Gmail accounts. And it's great that 10 brings notifications to the desktop for apps like email that know how to do them.

    The built-in People app is great for my sync'ed Gmail contacts. What's best is that I only need one contacts database to service any apps that require contacts.

    I do Twitter and Twitter's native Metro app is as good as the Android version.

    I like The Weather Network for its live tile at a glance. But I also like all the rest of its features. The OneNote Metro app is very good. And there are a couple of time wasting games that I favor. :)

    If you have become spoiled by the things you can do in a mobile environment llike Apple, Android, or Windows Phone, as I have, you should be able to figure out what parts might transfer well, for you, into a desktop context.

    If you don't find anything in the mobile environment to be compelling then - and I say this with utmost sincerity - you probably will never find much of interest in Metro apps. Metro is, after all, about mobile. If you don't get mobile or it simply holds no interest, you won't likely find value in Metro apps. No criticism; just the fact that we all have different needs and interests.

    ...ken...
      My Computer

  8. whs's Avatar
    whs
    Posts : 1,935
    Windows 7
       #77

    Thanks for the info.

    I will look at the people app for Gmail and check what can be useful for my W8Phone. Weather I have already (nice).

    Twitter and mail I do not need/use. As you say, we all have different needs.
      My Computer

  9. Edwin's Avatar
    Posts : 17,125
    Windows 10
       #78

    Maybe something like this will cover all bases:

    Windows 8.1 Start Screen vs. Windows 10 Start Menu-1.png
      My Computer

  10. Lee's Avatar
    Lee
    Posts : 4,793
    OS X, Win 10
       #79

    KenG said:
    whs said:
    I still find the Start screen and some Metro apps very useful.
    I am still looking for a useful Metro app. Can you share which ones you think are useful.
    That will be pretty difficult without knowing what more you want to be able to do besides run normal Windows desktop programs.

    I much prefer the built-in Mail app to any desktop email clients I've used. I love Metromail for my Gmail accounts. And it's great that 10 brings notifications to the desktop for apps like email that know how to do them.

    The built-in People app is great for my sync'ed Gmail contacts. What's best is that I only need one contacts database to service any apps that require contacts.

    I do Twitter and Twitter's native Metro app is as good as the Android version.

    I like The Weather Network for its live tile at a glance. But I also like all the rest of its features. The OneNote Metro app is very good. And there are a couple of time wasting games that I favor. :)

    If you have become spoiled by the things you can do in a mobile environment llike Apple, Android, or Windows Phone, as I have, you should be able to figure out what parts might transfer well, for you, into a desktop context.

    If you don't find anything in the mobile environment to be compelling then - and I say this with utmost sincerity - you probably will never find much of interest in Metro apps. Metro is, after all, about mobile. If you don't get mobile or it simply holds no interest, you won't likely find value in Metro apps. No criticism; just the fact that we all have different needs and interests.

    ...ken...
    Very well put. . .and done with great skill, and thought. . .
      My Computer


 
Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

  Related Discussions
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 20:59.
Find Us




Windows 10 Forums