Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 891011 LastLast
  1.    26 Dec 2014 #91
    Join Date : Feb 2014
    Posts : 9,484
    Windows 10 Professional

    Quote Originally Posted by HippsieGypsie View Post
    Hoping they port this over from Windows phone.


    Attachment 9762
    Well, there you go!
    See..., if I had all Windows devices I would have know that!
    Thanks for that!
      My ComputersSystem Spec
  2.    26 Dec 2014 #92
    Join Date : Nov 2013
    Chicagoland
    Posts : 34,834
    Dual boot Windows 10 FCU Pro x 64 & current Insider 10 Pro

    Quote Originally Posted by Edwin View Post
    Well, there you go!
    See..., if I had all Windows devices I would have know that!
    Thanks for that!
    You're welcome, Edwin. Yes, those that have a Windows phone have an advantage because we've been using features being ported over for quite some time. Using multiple Windows devices with an MS account is very convenient. Sure, one can configure different types of devices with different OSs these days if one has the time and likes to fiddle.

    Unified experience across multiple devices with services is what MS is trying to accomplish. When the commoners understand this it'll be a smash hit. That's what Continuum will be all about.
      My ComputersSystem Spec
  3.    26 Dec 2014 #93
    Join Date : Oct 2013
    Posts : 1,962
    Windows 7

    Quote Originally Posted by HippsieGypsie View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Edwin View Post
    I changed my mind! As in Android, for example, Tile Groups should be easily accomplished.
    Hoping they port this over from Windows phone.


    Attachment 9762
    That is something I like and use in Android. But on the W8P I have never used it. I guess I don't have enough tiles to make it useful.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  4.    26 Dec 2014 #94
    Join Date : Dec 2014
    India
    Posts : 8
    Windows 10 Pro x64

    I like whatever is on 10. I like the fact that since windows 8/8.1 installing the OS using outlook account saves all my settings as default. When I installed 10 I saw my favorite wallpaper on it already! Start menu rocks on 10.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  5.    30 Dec 2014 #95
    Join Date : Oct 2013
    Penns Forrest
    Posts : 3,506
    Win_8.1-Pro, Win_10.1607-Pro, Mint_17.3

    Someone has to come up with a new name for Start!

    I'll start with a few proposals.

    The menu when you right click the Windows icon on the taskbar is the xWin menu [Power, Shortcut, Easy ????]
    The menu when you left click the Windows icon on the taskbar is the
    o Desktop menu (if start menu is selected) [Vertical, Tree ????]
    o App menu (if start menu is not enabled) [Program, Launch, Spawn ...???]

    It's time to drop Start from Start menu - the old joke ...
    only MS would design a system where you had to press start to stop the system.....

    Carrying Start from menu to screen - doesn't make sense in the modern sense. It's still a menu but a full screen - so they called it a Start menu instead of a Menu screen or just The menu !

    Now what would be nice is a bit of customization on the App menu (Start screen). Colors, position, auto arrange, ...
    what we have now is size and a very cumbersome position (size to medium - position, resize to make tiles grab that second quadrant ... what if I want to skip a vertical quadrant to two (you can horizontal). I'd also like to be able to save my App menu because ... after careful planning and a long time I spelled out This is BS using my tiles

    I'm a creature of habit, I expect things to be where I put them.... if for any reason I have to rebuild the App menu, it takes a little longer to find the pgm I'm trying to launch. A nuisance mostly and infrequent, but it has been more apparent with the TP (since I build that frequently - not for any technical failure of the software).
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  6.    30 Dec 2014 #96
    Join Date : Feb 2014
    Posts : 9,484
    Windows 10 Professional

    Perhaps they don't need to call it anything, just put a logo there:

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1.png 
Views:	56 
Size:	92.5 KB 
ID:	9898
      My ComputersSystem Spec
  7.    30 Dec 2014 #97
    Join Date : Oct 2013
    Penns Forrest
    Posts : 3,506
    Win_8.1-Pro, Win_10.1607-Pro, Mint_17.3

    Quote Originally Posted by Edwin View Post
    Perhaps they don't need to call it anything, just put a logo there
    I think it has to be referenced by a name. On the other hand I know how well renaming things go
    ... SkyDrive / OneDrive
    ... Live Mail / Essentials Mail - no one knows what I mean when I say Windows Essential Mail (WEM).

    Creatures of habit we are!

    So I think the nomenclature Start Menu and Start Screen are here to stay.

    Happy New Year Edwin.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  8.    30 Dec 2014 #98
    Join Date : Oct 2013
    Posts : 1,962
    Windows 7

    Yeh right - I still call it Skydrive. LOL

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2014-12-30_2027.png 
Views:	63 
Size:	74.4 KB 
ID:	9899
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  9.    30 Dec 2014 #99
    Join Date : Feb 2014
    Posts : 9,484
    Windows 10 Professional

    K, I got it!!

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	000019.png 
Views:	42 
Size:	80.4 KB 
ID:	9900
      My ComputersSystem Spec
  10.    30 Dec 2014 #100
    Join Date : Jan 2014
    Washington
    Posts : 302
    Windows 10 10586

    Quote Originally Posted by Slartybart View Post
    Someone has to come up with a new name for Start!

    I'll start with a few proposals.

    The menu when you right click the Windows icon on the taskbar is the xWin menu [Power, Shortcut, Easy ????]
    The menu when you left click the Windows icon on the taskbar is the
    o Desktop menu (if start menu is selected) [Vertical, Tree ????]
    o App menu (if start menu is not enabled) [Program, Launch, Spawn ...???]

    It's time to drop Start from Start menu - the old joke ...
    only MS would design a system where you had to press start to stop the system.....

    Carrying Start from menu to screen - doesn't make sense in the modern sense. It's still a menu but a full screen - so they called it a Start menu instead of a Menu screen or just The menu !

    Now what would be nice is a bit of customization on the App menu (Start screen). Colors, position, auto arrange, ...
    what we have now is size and a very cumbersome position (size to medium - position, resize to make tiles grab that second quadrant ... what if I want to skip a vertical quadrant to two (you can horizontal). I'd also like to be able to save my App menu because ... after careful planning and a long time I spelled out This is BS using my tiles

    I'm a creature of habit, I expect things to be where I put them.... if for any reason I have to rebuild the App menu, it takes a little longer to find the pgm I'm trying to launch. A nuisance mostly and infrequent, but it has been more apparent with the TP (since I build that frequently - not for any technical failure of the software).
    They like the word "Start" too much to drop that.

    It's still called a Start menu because of legacy coding and the fact programs will write a shortcut or entry to the Start menu directory in the ProgramData or appdata so they can't really change that.

    In the TP build of 10, there's a registry edit you can do that enables a very early and crude build of the new Windows 10 Start Screen. I posted about this on a thread a while ago...
    https://www.tenforums.com/general-dis...ld-9879-a.html

    ALL sorts of new goodies like vertical tiles and whatnot and being able to spell out THIS IS BS just fine.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

 
Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 891011 LastLast


Similar Threads
Thread Forum
Solved Post your Windows 10 Start menu or Start Screen
This thread is meant to showcase the new Windows 10 Start menu with tiles or the more familiar Windows 8 Start Screen. You can use either the Start Menu or Start Screen by following Brink's Tutorial 5538 Start Menu 5539
Customization
General Tips Use Start Menu or Start Screen in Windows 10
How to Change to Use Start Menu or Start Screen in Windows 10 This tutorial will no longer work starting with Windows 10 build 10041 released on March 18th 2015. You can use this instead: How to Turn On or Off to Use Full Screen Start in...
Tutorials
Start Menu Will Replace Start Screen in Threshold
Source Looked around and didn't see this exact piece of news in any threads. Lock me if old. Imo, I just hope they won't still try to make live tiles down our throats. That's my biggest hunch about the rumored Win8 Update 2 Start Menu.
Windows 10 News
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:19.
Find Us
Twitter Facebook Google+ Ten Forums iOS App Ten Forums Android App



Windows 10 Forums