Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast
  1.    20 Nov 2014 #1
    Join Date : Jan 2014
    Carencro, LA 70520
    Posts : 8,453
    Mint 18.3

    Microsoft Blocks Classic Shell in Windows 10 Build 9879


    Windows 8 was the first modern Windows version to come without a Start menu, a change which not only confused many Windows 7 users planning to upgrade, but that also affected adoption of Microsoft's new product.

    What also happened was a rapid growth of the third-party software market for alternative Start menu solutions and many developers out there tried to make the most of this problem to attract more users with their apps.

    The best example in this case is Classic Shell, one of the top Start menu apps out there which recorded millions of downloads in the last few years, but especially after the launch of Windows 8.

    With Windows 10, however, everybodyís wondering whether Microsoft still plans to allow third-party Start menu apps on its desktop operating system or block them all, as the revamped desktop comes with new features that also include a modern Start menu.
    More
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  2.    20 Nov 2014 #2
    Join Date : Jan 2014
    Oak Ridge TN, USA
    Posts : 24,523
    Windows 10 Pro x64

    That's been mentioned in at least one other thread here. It's sort of a shame since it cuts down the options uses will have for the start they want or need.

    MS really needs to expand on the options that are available for adjusting/setting up the start menu. The way it is now is just right for me and some others but some will need more fine tuning to meet their needs.

    Jeff
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  3.    20 Nov 2014 #3
    Join Date : Oct 2014
    Posts : 1,555
    W7 32 bit, Linux Mint Xfce 18 64 bit




    I wonder what Classic Shell response is. Why does just renaming it work? I was considering trying 9879 and the consumer preview but I am not so sure now. I may stick with windows 7, then go to Linux when unsupported. Does any know if takeownship reg file still work in 9879?
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  4.    20 Nov 2014 #4
    Join Date : Nov 2013
    Land of 10,000 lakes
    Posts : 10,382
    W10 Pro, W10 Home

    As mentioned in the article, there is a work around for installing Classic Shell for those who want to use it. Personally I have gotten used to the W8.1 Start Screen.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  5.    20 Nov 2014 #5
    Join Date : Jan 2014
    Oak Ridge TN, USA
    Posts : 24,523
    Windows 10 Pro x64

    Quote Originally Posted by groze View Post



    I wonder what Classic Shell response is. Why does just renaming it work? I was considering trying 9879 and the consumer preview but I am not so sure now. I may stick with windows 7, then go to Linux when unsupported. Does any know if takeownship reg file still work in 9879?
    Classic Shell works just fine in Win8.x and Win7. So if I were you I would stick with Win7, it's going to be supported for some time.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  6.    20 Nov 2014 #6
    Join Date : Jan 2014
    Oak Ridge TN, USA
    Posts : 24,523
    Windows 10 Pro x64

    Quote Originally Posted by LittleJay View Post
    As mentioned in the article, there is a work around for installing Classic Shell for those who want to use it. Personally I have gotten used to the W8.1 Start Screen.
    In my Win8.1.1 instillation I use Classic Shell. I just like it a lot more than the start screen. Plus I still can access the start screen with classic shell. There's a icon to get there.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  7.    20 Nov 2014 #7
    Join Date : Feb 2014
    Posts : 372
    Windows 10

    The very height of hubris. Smacks of arrogance and outright ignorance.
    I wish I had known before I installed '79, as I would have avoided it.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  8.    20 Nov 2014 #8
    Join Date : Nov 2013
    Land of 10,000 lakes
    Posts : 10,382
    W10 Pro, W10 Home

    Quote Originally Posted by BunnyJ View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by LittleJay View Post
    As mentioned in the article, there is a work around for installing Classic Shell for those who want to use it. Personally I have gotten used to the W8.1 Start Screen.
    In my Win8.1.1 instillation I use Classic Shell. I just like it a lot more than the start screen. Plus I still can access the start screen with classic shell. There's a icon to get there.
    Yup, I understand where you're coming from. The Start Menu is great for those who like it, but hopefully the Start Screen will also work on W10 desktops and not just touch screen devices.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  9.    20 Nov 2014 #9
    Join Date : Jan 2014
    Oak Ridge TN, USA
    Posts : 24,523
    Windows 10 Pro x64

    Quote Originally Posted by LittleJay View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by BunnyJ View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by LittleJay View Post
    As mentioned in the article, there is a work around for installing Classic Shell for those who want to use it. Personally I have gotten used to the W8.1 Start Screen.
    In my Win8.1.1 instillation I use Classic Shell. I just like it a lot more than the start screen. Plus I still can access the start screen with classic shell. There's a icon to get there.
    Yup, I understand where you're coming from. The Start Menu is great for those who like it, but hopefully the Start Screen will also work on W10 desktops and not just touch screen devices.
    I totally agree. There should be a simple way to get to the start screen from the start menu.

    Jeff
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  10.    20 Nov 2014 #10
    Join Date : Oct 2013
    North West Indianapolis, Indiana
    Posts : 450
    Windows 7 Ultimate 64 Bit and VM

    I made the decision to try 10 without classic shell to try out what they Microsoft came up with. It is simply that. Microsoft want users to try the start menu and provide feedback from the standard 10 start menu.
    Classic shell had better work with the RTM version or there will be trouble.
      My ComputersSystem Spec

 
Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast


Similar Threads
Thread Forum
Classic Shell on Win 10 - Twice the Fun!
Okay, I am not really attracted to the new Start Menu. So, I went ahead and installed the latest Classic Shell for Win 8. I didn't lose anything. It actually got better. Enjoy the short video. ...
Customization
Classic Shell 4.2 officially supports Windows 10
I won't use it, but here it is... Classic Shell - Start menu and other Windows enhancements :)
Software and Apps
Latest Classic Shell for Windows 10
Ver.4.20 Classic Shell
Software and Apps
New Classic Shell released
Classic Shell 4.0.4 released 1/18/2014. http://www.classicshell.net
Chillout Room
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:55.
Find Us
Twitter Facebook Google+ Ten Forums iOS App Ten Forums Android App



Windows 10 Forums