Page 8 of 14 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

  1. Joined : Oct 2014
    Posts : 1,540
    W7 32 bit, Linux Mint Xfce 18 64 bit
       23 Nov 2014 #71

    Ivo,
    Referring to your post number 68 I don't think that the issue. It is the blocking of any 3rd party program including yours, it is what causing this uproar. I know renaming it fixes the issue but you shouldn't have to do that. Imagine if Microsoft blocked Google Chrome or Firefox even on the previews. Myself when I was testing windows 10 if most of my 3rd party software didn't work with windows 10 preview, then I wouldn't upgrade to windows 10 release. There is only so much you can do to test Windows 10. I actually found it boring-no offense meant to others. People will probably disagree with this or say this is double talk by Microsoft. Microsoft said somewhere. If there is an application/program you have installed in windows 7 or above, it should work with 10.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  2. Joined : Nov 2014
    Posts : 25
    windows 10
       23 Nov 2014 #72

    groze said: View Post
    Ivo,
    Referring to your post number 68 I don't think that the issue. It is the blocking of any 3rd party program including yours, it is what causing this uproar. I know renaming it fixes the issue but you shouldn't have to do that. Imagine if Microsoft blocked Google Chrome or Firefox even on the previews. Myself when I was testing windows 10 if most of my 3rd party software didn't work with windows 10 preview, then I wouldn't upgrade to windows 10 release. There is only so much you can do to test Windows 10. I actually found it boring-no offense meant to others. People will probably disagree with this or say this is double talk by Microsoft. Microsoft said somewhere. If there is an application/program you have installed in windows 7 or above, it should work with 10.
    i dont a problem with microsoft blocking a program that could cause problems due to the way said program interact with the kernel of the OS. Even on windows 8.1 rtm there are programs that are blocked from being installed. im sure if firefox or chrome interacted with OS the same way as cpuz ms would block it too.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  3. Joined : Oct 2014
    Arnold, MD
    Posts : 17,333
    Triple Boot 10 Pro & 10 Insider Pro & 8.1 Pro
       23 Nov 2014 #73

    Indianatone said: View Post
    I made the decision to try 10 without classic shell to try out what they Microsoft came up with. It is simply that. Microsoft want users to try the start menu and provide feedback from the standard 10 start menu.
    Classic shell had better work with the RTM version or there will be trouble.
    I also went the route of seeing what 10 would do all by itself. My biggest problem was I just could not easily find my apps. Tiles cannot be arranged alpha and I was eye-jumping all over the screen trying to find an app, even with the app icons there. Sometimes it's just easier to have a nice columnar list like all programs in Classic Shell where you can mentally run your finger over the list to find. Some times you just don't remember exactly what something is called and seeing a list can jog your memory.

    When I upgraded to 9879 it ate most of the Classic shell install. I used the rename installer trick, and it went to options which included Repair Classic Shell. Worked just fine. Reloaded my XML backup config and all was well.

    Footnote: DO NOT use any "hover" options over start button. It makes the TP start screen act like a blinking red light at a four-way stop! Screen blinks on and off at the hover delay rate of 400ms.

    Explorer toolbar options do nothing, so don't bother installing.

    The safest "click" method I've found is Middle Click for Classic, shift-ctrl-right-click for Classic context menu, and all others leave as "do nothing" (let TP have them).

    Just some of observations on Classic Shell in Win TP...

    Enjoy!
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  4. Joined : Nov 2013
    Idaho USA
    Posts : 4,534
    OS X, Win 10
       24 Nov 2014 #74

    groze said: View Post
    Ivo,
    Referring to your post number 68 I don't think that the issue. It is the blocking of any 3rd party program including yours, it is what causing this uproar. I know renaming it fixes the issue but you shouldn't have to do that. Imagine if Microsoft blocked Google Chrome or Firefox even on the previews. Myself when I was testing windows 10 if most of my 3rd party software didn't work with windows 10 preview, then I wouldn't upgrade to windows 10 release. There is only so much you can do to test Windows 10. I actually found it boring-no offense meant to others. People will probably disagree with this or say this is double talk by Microsoft. Microsoft said somewhere. If there is an application/program you have installed in windows 7 or above, it should work with 10.
    Thus far I have read all your post, and it would appear you are attempting to help all us folks here on the 10's understand that Microsoft is just a stupid company who wants things their way and their way only. . .thanks for correcting our view of Microsoft. . .
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  5. Joined : Feb 2014
    Posts : 372
    Windows 10
       24 Nov 2014 #75

    ~sigh~
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  6. Joined : Jan 2014
    Oak Ridge TN, USA
    Posts : 23,932
    Windows 10 Pro x64
       24 Nov 2014 #76

    Rickkins said: View Post
    ~sigh~
    It's not that bad. When Win10 comes out for sale next year I bet Classic Shell and the like will be allowed to run in the new OS. That or there will be a workaround to get them to run.

    Jeff
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  7.    24 Nov 2014 #77

    Trust_No1 said: View Post
    MikeHawthorne said: View Post
    Hi

    I don't have an issue with Microsoft blocking Classic Shell in the preview builds.
    The whole point is to get people to test the Windows interface etc.

    I don't think they should block it when Windows 10 goes live.

    I've found that I don't feel like I need it with Windows 10 anyway.
    I've gotten used to it, and I always use RocketDock anyway, I've used it for years and it works fine with Windows 10.

    Mike
    I got a little chuckle out of your statement, when you say;
    "you have gotten used to Windows 10 interface", yet...
    You use RocketDock (an OSX clone). So in other words. it doesn't matter to you what Microsoft puts out? ...because you don't use it any way? ... which I have no objection too.

    But this leads us back to the bigger question, is the new Windows interface, really an improvement?

    The difference is that Rocketdock doesn't change the way that the Windows interface works.
    I could just put all the commonly used icons on the desktop, as a lot of people I know do.

    Rocketdock is just a way of organising those icons into a specific area (I do it by category,i.e. Games, Spacer, Windows tools, Spacer, Graphics Arts software, etc.) and making them open with one click, instead of three.

    The opening with one click is the real reason that I use it, who wants to have to click three times on everything to open it?

    The normal function of Windows 10 isn't subverted, I still use it to access all the things that aren't on Rocketdock.

    Mike
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  8. Joined : Oct 2014
    Posts : 1,540
    W7 32 bit, Linux Mint Xfce 18 64 bit
       24 Nov 2014 #78

    Lee said: View Post
    groze said: View Post
    Ivo,
    Referring to your post number 68 I don't think that the issue. It is the blocking of any 3rd party program including yours, it is what causing this uproar. I know renaming it fixes the issue but you shouldn't have to do that. Imagine if Microsoft blocked Google Chrome or Firefox even on the previews. Myself when I was testing windows 10 if most of my 3rd party software didn't work with windows 10 preview, then I wouldn't upgrade to windows 10 release. There is only so much you can do to test Windows 10. I actually found it boring-no offense meant to others. People will probably disagree with this or say this is double talk by Microsoft. Microsoft said somewhere. If there is an application/program you have installed in windows 7 or above, it should work with 10.
    Thus far I have read all your post, and it would appear you are attempting to help all us folks here on the 10's understand that Microsoft is just a stupid company who wants things their way and their way only. . .thanks for correcting our view of Microsoft. . .
    Lee, please don't put words into my mouth thank you. If you read my post here or on 7 you would see I have grammar issues.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  9. Joined : Oct 2013
    Nothern Ohio
    Posts : 446
    Windows 7/64 Professional
       24 Nov 2014 #79

    In my opinion Microsoft is not concerned what hacks some one can do to W-10 or a 3rd party program.

    Microsoft wants inputs what we like and what we don't like.
    What programs work and what programs don't work.

    How this all comes out in the wash is up to Microsoft and the owners of the 3rd party programs.

    If Microsoft block something it's because it interferes with the development of W-10 or it's farther down the priority list of things to do.
    Please keep in mind of Microsoft's intent, which is to create a new operating system people will want to buy.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  10. Joined : Sep 2014
    Posts : 117
    Windows 8
       24 Nov 2014 #80

    Layback Bear said: View Post
    Please keep in mind of Microsoft's intent, which is to create a new operating system people will want to buy.
    I suspect that part of the problem stems from their desire to sell us additional products such as items in their store, and Windows Cell/Mobile phones. IMHO they should provide a choice of start menu styles and let the customer choose.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


 
Page 8 of 14 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast


Similar Threads
Thread Forum
Classic Shell on Win 10 - Twice the Fun!
Okay, I am not really attracted to the new Start Menu. So, I went ahead and installed the latest Classic Shell for Win 8. I didn't lose anything. It actually got better. Enjoy the short video. ...
Customization
Classic Shell 4.2 officially supports Windows 10
I won't use it, but here it is... Classic Shell - Start menu and other Windows enhancements :)
Software and Apps
Latest Classic Shell for Windows 10
Ver.4.20 Classic Shell
Software and Apps
New Classic Shell released
Classic Shell 4.0.4 released 1/18/2014. http://www.classicshell.net
Chillout Room
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 19:55.
Find Us
Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 10 Forums