Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
  1.    21 Nov 2014 #31

    labeeman said: View Post
    Thunderbird and Firefox have compatibility issues with windows 10 in that they do not print. I do not see M$ trying to block them.
    Hi there

    There IS a difference between programs like Thunderbird etc which are basic standard APPLICATION type programs and things like Classic shell which interact with the basic Kernel or underlying OS itself. There's no reason to block typical application (non "privileged") programs like Thunderbird whereas those like Classic shell that fundamentally interact with the internel OS / kernel ("Privileged" programs) should be prevented from executing if they risk breaking the OS.

    Ms was merely ensuring the integrity of its OS by special programs -- I'm sure that if the developer re-writes code that doesn't risk de-stabilizing the OS it will work just fine.

    Not sure though how much programs like Classic Shell are really needed though any more in this edition of Windows -- that's another matter though.

    Cheers
    jimbo
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  2. Joined : Aug 2014
    Australia, Adelaide
    Posts : 1,390
    W7 Ultimate SP1 (64 bit), LM 18.1 MATE (64 bit), W10IP VM, W10 Home
       21 Nov 2014 #32

    groze said: View Post
    lehnerus2000 said: View Post
    groze said: View Post
    Macrium free now restores Linux even if installed on logical partition but you still have to back it up through windows.
    I been backing up and restoring my Linux partitions using Reflect for ~4 years.
    I read somewhere Reflect didn't backup Linux logical partition for awhile but that comment could of been wrong.
    That may have been true (pre-2010).
    It's also possible that it may have been dependent on the Linux distro that was installed.

    I had to install Ubuntu 10 in a Logical partition back in May 2010.
    My Primary partitions had XP, W7 and Programs on them.
    I started using Macrium at about the same time.

    I kept that partition arrangement until September 2012.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  3.    21 Nov 2014 #33

    Hi

    I don't have an issue with Microsoft blocking Classic Shell in the preview builds.
    The whole point is to get people to test the Windows interface etc.

    I don't think they should block it when Windows 10 goes live.

    I've found that I don't feel like I need it with Windows 10 anyway.
    I've gotten used to it, and I always use RocketDock anyway, I've used it for years and it works fine with Windows 10.

    Mike
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  4. Joined : Jan 2014
    Carencro, LA 70520
    Posts : 7,630
    Windows 10
       21 Nov 2014 #34

    Mystere said: View Post
    labeeman said: View Post
    Thunderbird and Firefox have compatibility issues with windows 10 in that they do not print. I do not see M$ trying to block them.
    Thunderbird and Firefox don't insert themselves into the shell.
    It does not matter if they insert them selves in the shell or not who says M$ will stop with Classic Shell that is a user choice not M$.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  5.    21 Nov 2014 #35

    MikeHawthorne said: View Post
    Hi

    I don't have an issue with Microsoft blocking Classic Shell in the preview builds.
    The whole point is to get people to test the Windows interface etc.

    I don't think they should block it when Windows 10 goes live.

    I've found that I don't feel like I need it with Windows 10 anyway.
    I've gotten used to it, and I always use RocketDock anyway, I've used it for years and it works fine with Windows 10.

    Mike
    I got a little chuckle out of your statement, when you say;
    "you have gotten used to Windows 10 interface", yet...
    You use RocketDock (an OSX clone). So in other words. it doesn't matter to you what Microsoft puts out? ...because you don't use it any way? ... which I have no objection too.

    But this leads us back to the bigger question, is the new Windows interface, really an improvement?
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  6. Joined : Jan 2014
    Oak Ridge TN, USA
    Posts : 23,934
    Windows 10 Pro x64
       21 Nov 2014 #36

    Trust_No1 said: View Post
    MikeHawthorne said: View Post
    Hi

    I don't have an issue with Microsoft blocking Classic Shell in the preview builds.
    The whole point is to get people to test the Windows interface etc.

    I don't think they should block it when Windows 10 goes live.

    I've found that I don't feel like I need it with Windows 10 anyway.
    I've gotten used to it, and I always use RocketDock anyway, I've used it for years and it works fine with Windows 10.

    Mike
    I got a little chuckle out of your statement, when you say;
    "you have gotten used to Windows 10 interface", yet...
    You use RocketDock (an OSX clone). So in other words. it doesn't matter to you what Microsoft puts out? ...because you don't use it any way? ... which I have no objection too.

    But this leads us back to the bigger question, is the new Windows interface, really an improvement?

    It's all going to based on personal performance. For me it is. And for others it's not.
    I use classic shell for Win8.1.1 and I don't think I would have any need for it in Win10 when the final version comes out next year.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  7. Joined : Oct 2013
    Nothern Ohio
    Posts : 446
    Windows 7/64 Professional
       21 Nov 2014 #37

    Why are we testing W-10?
    To help Microsoft in the development of a new operating system.

    Their will be things that do not work with W-10.
    Part of that might be W-10 and part of that might be wanted added programs from 3rd parties.

    Third part program creators I'm sure are doing a lot of testing to make sure their programs work with W-10.

    In my opinion Microsoft in the early stages would like us to test W-10 not every 3rd party program one can come with.
    Also in my opinion Microsoft doesn't need Classic Shell get in the way at this time.
    Microsoft is trying to have a Start that is adjustable in many ways so users can have it as they want it.
    Those who like Classic Shell will never be pleased with anything else. That's fine with me. Now we need to test W-10.
    Use the Feedback with the problems using Classic Shell and wait for the final version of W-10.

    I try to remember this is just not a Microsoft thing. Third party programers have to do their job also. I'm sure they are working over time to do their part.

    Example:
    The Intel SSD Toolbox didn't work properly in W-10 on my system. It's fixed now.
    Did Microsoft fix it or did Intel fix it. I don't know and don't care, it's fixed.
    I'm thinking they probably worked together to get the job done.
    This is not only a testing process for Microsoft and us; it's also a testing process for 3rd party program creators.

    I test some 3rd party programs. When they don't work as they should I just post here and Feedback and get on with my life. I will not decide one way or the other if I buy W-10 until the final version is out.

    When the final version of W-10 comes out and their is a program I want or need that doesn't work with W-10 I will just contact the creator of the program. It's their job to make it work with W-10 not Microsoft's.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  8. Joined : Oct 2014
    Posts : 1,540
    W7 32 bit, Linux Mint Xfce 18 64 bit
       21 Nov 2014 #38

    Layback Bear are you saying we shouldn't be testing 3rd party software at all?
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  9. Joined : Oct 2014
    Posts : 1,540
    W7 32 bit, Linux Mint Xfce 18 64 bit
       21 Nov 2014 #39

    labeeman said: View Post
    Mystere said: View Post
    labeeman said: View Post
    Thunderbird and Firefox have compatibility issues with windows 10 in that they do not print. I do not see M$ trying to block them.
    Thunderbird and Firefox don't insert themselves into the shell.
    It does not matter if they insert them selves in the shell or not who says M$ will stop with Classic Shell that is a user choice not M$.
    This comment will surprise some people. I actually do agree with you labeeman. I really hate to say this, it is Microsoft choice what works with their operating system as long as it doesn't violate local laws or court rulings. Windows is not open source.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  10. Joined : Oct 2013
    Nothern Ohio
    Posts : 446
    Windows 7/64 Professional
       21 Nov 2014 #40

    groze said: View Post
    Layback Bear are you saying we shouldn't be testing 3rd party software at all?
    No I'm not saying that at all.

    What I'm saying is you and I and other members will surly find programs that don't work with W-10 as they should.
    Post your problem here and in the Feedback to Microsoft. This will allow the owners of the program that doesn't work and Microsoft to investigate the problem.

    Just don't get in a lather when things don't work. It takes a lot of time to get W-10 and gazillion 3rd party programs to work together. Microsoft is not going to stop the progress on W-10 just so they can get somebodies pet program to work.
    They most likely a priority they do things.

    I still don't like the way Cleanmgr works and I have reported it a couple of times to Microsoft.
    My next step is to wait and see if the problem gets fixed. I do believe it will get fixed, I just have to wait.

    I have reported here and using Feedback programs that do and do not work on my system when using W-10.
    This feedback from those of us who are testing W-10 is critical in my opinion.

    The problem I'm seeing is some are complaining about things like it's the end of the world as we know it.
    Post a problem and see if other can help. Give feedback to Microsoft and wait. It take time to repair such things.

    I understand why (I think) why Classic Shell doesn't work properly in W-10.
    Microsoft doesn't want Classic Shell at this time to get in the way of developing the Start Menu as so many have asked for.

    Microsoft wants feedback on the changes they have made in the Start Menu not changes someone can come up with using Classic Shell.

    The Start Menu was probably the number on complaint using W-8. They are trying to solve that problem using W-10 and giving customers option within W-10.

    Microsoft is fully aware what Classic Shell is and what one can do with it. They in my opinion at this time don't care.
    They are trying to make the Start Menu in Windows 10 flexible so the average user can make it like they want it without a 3rd party program.

    Testing 3r party programs is a good thing but testing W-10 is my number one priority. The 3rd party programers will just have to catch up with W-10.

    Here is a good example posted by A Guy of a program that doesn't work in all aspects with W-10.
    I don't believe this problem will stop me from using W-10. I will just wait until the problem is fixed and then use the program. I like CPU-Z and use it often on my other systems. The world will still be okay until it works as it should.

    Cpu-z 1.71.1
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


 
Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast


Similar Threads
Thread Forum
Classic Shell on Win 10 - Twice the Fun!
Okay, I am not really attracted to the new Start Menu. So, I went ahead and installed the latest Classic Shell for Win 8. I didn't lose anything. It actually got better. Enjoy the short video. ...
Customization
Classic Shell 4.2 officially supports Windows 10
I won't use it, but here it is... Classic Shell - Start menu and other Windows enhancements :)
Software and Apps
Latest Classic Shell for Windows 10
Ver.4.20 Classic Shell
Software and Apps
New Classic Shell released
Classic Shell 4.0.4 released 1/18/2014. http://www.classicshell.net
Chillout Room
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:59.
Find Us
Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 10 Forums