Windows 10: Microsoft Blocks Classic Shell in Windows 10 Build 9879

Page 13 of 14 FirstFirst ... 311121314 LastLast

  1. Posts : 21,962
    Triple boot - Win 10 Pro, Win 10 Pro Insider (2) - (and a sprinkling of VMs)
       28 Nov 2014 #121

    machare said: View Post
    On W10 32 bit, I have managed to add a shortcut for a DOS program to the Classic Shell start menu, but so far I have failed to add this shortcut to the regular W10 start menu. Is there a way to overcome this problem?

    Machare... not sure what your exact setup is, but try this. Go to all programs in Classic Shell, find the DOS prog, right click, see if there is a "pin to start menu". If not, create a new folder in "all programs", put your DOS prog there, and try again. This has worked for me.
      My ComputersSystem Spec

  2.    29 Nov 2014 #122

    f14tomcat said: View Post
    Machare... not sure what your exact setup is, but try this. Go to all programs in Classic Shell, find the DOS prog, right click, see if there is a "pin to start menu". If not, create a new folder in "all programs", put your DOS prog there, and try again. This has worked for me.
    Thanks I evenually managed to copy a Dos program shortcut from my Desktop to the regular W10 Start Button. This was difficult to do perhaps because I have 'Use small taskbar buttons' selected and a high resolution screen.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  3.    13 Dec 2014 #123

    Hey, everybody.

    I just released a new beta version 4.2.0 of Classic Shell. The main new feature is the added support for Windows 10 TP.

    Read more here: Classic Shell
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  4.    13 Dec 2014 #124

    Ivo said: View Post
    Hey, everybody.

    I just released a new beta version 4.2.0 of Classic Shell. The main new feature is the added support for Windows 10 TP.

    Read more here: Classic Shell
    Thanks for the information. So far I really like what you did!

    Jeff
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  5.    13 Dec 2014 #125

    One:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Untitled.jpg 
Views:	73 
Size:	465.5 KB 
ID:	9421

    Two When I press the start screen I get this:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Untitled.jpg 
Views:	79 
Size:	440.1 KB 
ID:	9422

    Just one thought: Shouldn't the top button say "Start Menu" rather than "Start Screen"??
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  6.    13 Dec 2014 #126

    The problem is that "Start Menu" already means the Classic Shell start menu. And also the text will need to be translated in all languages, which makes it hard to add new labels.

    So I am not yet sure if I want to keep the Start Screen shortcut in that case at all.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  7. Posts : 21,962
    Triple boot - Win 10 Pro, Win 10 Pro Insider (2) - (and a sprinkling of VMs)
       13 Dec 2014 #127

    BunnyJ said: View Post
    One:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Untitled.jpg 
Views:	73 
Size:	465.5 KB 
ID:	9421

    Two When I press the start screen I get this:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Untitled.jpg 
Views:	79 
Size:	440.1 KB 
ID:	9422

    Just one thought: Shouldn't the top button say "Start Menu" rather than "Start Screen"??

    Bunnyj:

    Glad to hear Ivo got a 10TP Classic Shell working! BUT.... I would dearly like to know where YOU got that clock and weather widget!!!! Please share!!! I miss them! Thanks muchly! f14tomcat.....
      My ComputersSystem Spec

  8.    13 Dec 2014 #128

    f14tomcat said: View Post
    BunnyJ said: View Post
    One:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Untitled.jpg 
Views:	73 
Size:	465.5 KB 
ID:	9421

    Two When I press the start screen I get this:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Untitled.jpg 
Views:	79 
Size:	440.1 KB 
ID:	9422

    Just one thought: Shouldn't the top button say "Start Menu" rather than "Start Screen"??

    Bunnyj:

    Glad to hear Ivo got a 10TP Classic Shell working! BUT.... I would dearly like to know where YOU got that clock and weather widget!!!! Please share!!! I miss them! Thanks muchly! f14tomcat.....
    8GadgetPack - Gadgets for Windows 8 / 8.1 That's where I got it. And it works fine in the current build.
    Jeff
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  9.    14 Dec 2014 #129

    BunnyJ said: View Post
    One:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Untitled.jpg 
Views:	73 
Size:	465.5 KB 
ID:	9421

    Two When I press the start screen I get this:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Untitled.jpg 
Views:	79 
Size:	440.1 KB 
ID:	9422

    Just one thought: Shouldn't the top button say "Start Menu" rather than "Start Screen"??
    I believe what you need to do, is set Windows so it starts up in Start screen mode, and then set your Classic shell to open in desktop. That way, when you switch, it will switch to the start screen.

    At least that is how my Start8 works.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  10.    14 Dec 2014 #130

    Hi there

    Not wishing to decry your efforts but you don't really need an EXTRA program to customize your start menu --in any case the whole kybosh is likely to change in the next release of W10 (Ms has hinted that there WILL be some substantial changes) so there's a good chance of this not working properly again. You can pretty well customize the standard menu already. Don't forget also now that you can also use for commands the POWER SHELL instead of the standard CMD prompt -- W10 is much more customiseable than W8.

    Now getting some of the gadgets to work ALONE (I.e without relying on a 3rd party menu) like live tiles would actually be a GOOD idea - those would be popular IMO).

    I know there was excellent work done for W8 but it's probably time to put this particular program to bed for W10.

    Cheers
    jimbo
      My ComputerSystem Spec


 
Page 13 of 14 FirstFirst ... 311121314 LastLast

Related Threads
Okay, I am not really attracted to the new Start Menu. So, I went ahead and installed the latest Classic Shell for Win 8. I didn't lose anything. It actually got better. Enjoy the short video. ...
I won't use it, but here it is... Classic Shell - Start menu and other Windows enhancements :)
Ver.4.20 Classic Shell
New Classic Shell released in Chillout Room
Classic Shell 4.0.4 released 1/18/2014. http://www.classicshell.net
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 16:03.
Find Us