Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

  1. Joined : Oct 2015
    Posts : 1,388
    Windows 10 Pro X64
       19 Nov 2015 #71

    Hi,

    I'm not usually on Microsoft's side but in this one I don't see how it can behave differently. The installer has to install everything it is supposed to install. If it's already there, replace it. If it's missing, put it back.
    Bottom line being, the user has once more no choice but to accept whatever MS thinks is best for them, not us.

    Cheer,
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  2. Joined : Aug 2014
    Australia, Adelaide
    Posts : 1,390
    W7 Ultimate SP1 (64 bit), LM 18.1 MATE (64 bit), W10IP VM, W10 Home
       20 Nov 2015 #72

    Mystery Download


    BunnyJ said: View Post
    It's not like they're taking up much space or going to suddenly activate themselves.
    Last week whilst I was waiting for TH2 to appear in my Windows Update list, my W10 downloaded 300 MB of data for no apparent reason (i.e. there were no updates listed in Settings).

    I assume it was App related as I've never seen App Updates in the Update section.
    TairikuOkami said: View Post
    They take bandwidth usage (data), being regularly updated, not to mention CPU usage and such, ...

    AllenChicago said: View Post
    Lack of space isn't the issue. It's the potential for 3rd party apps to activate and "call home" to summon bad relatives to my PC that concerns me. IMO, deleting unneeded "stuff" is simply removing potential threats, since P.C.'s are always connected to the outside world.
    Agreed.

    Reducing the Attack Surface is always a good idea.
    For example never installing Flash or Java on a PC should make it much more resistant to malware.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  3. Joined : Nov 2015
    Posts : 3
    Windows 10
       22 Nov 2015 #73

    lx07. Thank you very much for this routine. It saves so much time.

    lx07 said: View Post
    Easy to automate if you want to (I do this to save space as I have very small ssd)
    Code:
    $apps=@(     
        "9E2F88E3.Twitter"
        "ClearChannelRadioDigital.iHeartRadio"
        "Flipboard.Flipboard"
        "king.com.CandyCrushSodaSaga"
        "Microsoft.3DBuilder"
        #"Microsoft.Appconnector"
        "Microsoft.BingFinance"
        "Microsoft.BingNews"
        "Microsoft.BingSports"
        "Microsoft.BingWeather"
        "Microsoft.CommsPhone"
        "Microsoft.Getstarted"
        #"Microsoft.Messaging"
        "Microsoft.MicrosoftOfficeHub"
        "Microsoft.MicrosoftSolitaireCollection"
        "Microsoft.Office.OneNote"
        "Microsoft.Office.Sway"
        "Microsoft.People"
        "Microsoft.SkypeApp"
        "Microsoft.Windows.Phone"
        "Microsoft.Windows.Photos"
        "Microsoft.WindowsAlarms"
        #"Microsoft.WindowsCalculator"
        "Microsoft.WindowsCamera"
        "Microsoft.WindowsMaps"
        "Microsoft.WindowsPhone"
        "Microsoft.WindowsSoundRecorder"
        #"Microsoft.WindowsStore"
        "Microsoft.XboxApp"
        "Microsoft.ZuneMusic"
        "Microsoft.ZuneVideo"
        #"microsoft.windowscommunicationsapps"
        "Microsoft.MinecraftUWP"
        "ShazamEntertainmentLtd.Shazam"        
    )
    
    foreach ($app in $apps) {    
        Get-AppxPackage -Name $app -AllUsers | Remove-AppxPackage
        Get-AppXProvisionedPackage -Online | where DisplayName -EQ $app | Remove-AppxProvisionedPackage -Online
                
        $appPath="$Env:LOCALAPPDATA\Packages\$app*"
        Remove-Item $appPath -Recurse -Force -ErrorAction 0
    }
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  4. Joined : Jul 2015
    Posts : 1,563
    Windows 10 Pro x64 RS 10586.586
       26 Nov 2015 #74

    Update - Threshold 2 changed default apps to the original settings


    Windows 10 Users Upset About Microsoft Resetting Default Apps Over and Over Again
    Threshold 2 changed default apps to the original Settings


    Some of the Windows 10 Threshold 2 users who installed the latest cumulative update claimed it reset their default apps, configuring apps such as Edge and Groove as the one choice for browsing the web and listening to music.

    This isn’t the first time this is happening, and Threshold 2 itself did the same thing, while other early Windows 10 adopters claimed similar changes had been made by other cumulative updates too.

    But enough is enough, more and more users say, and complaints posted in the Windows 10 Feedback app pretty much speak for themselves, with hundreds of users voting for them to show Microsoft that updates for the new operating system should not reset default apps.

    “Please STOP changing my default programs and apps with every upgrade. If I want to use Adobe instead of Edge, that should be MY CHOICE NOT YOURS. This is still MY computer,” one such suggestion that has more than 160 votes in 2 weeks reads.
    For example, prompts are now displayed whenever users try to change default apps, with messages specifically supposed to convince them to take them for a spin.
    Read more: http://news.softpedia.com/news/windo...n-496747.shtml
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  5. Joined : Aug 2015
    Posts : 39
    Windows 10 - 64 - home
       28 Nov 2015 #75

    Sprite said: View Post
    lx07. Thank you very much for this routine. It saves so much time.
    i also found that if you use classic shell
    you can uninstall all of these
    just by right clicking...

    some of these you can't... like this...

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Angela (1995) edit3.jpg 
Views:	77 
Size:	15.9 KB 
ID:	50995

    but it looks nice just to see it...

    you also get a nice start menu too...
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  6. Joined : Jul 2016
    Posts : 7
    Win7Pro,Linux
       26 Aug 2016 #76

    lx07 said: View Post
    Easy to automate if you want to (I do this to save space as I have very small ssd)
    Code:
    $apps=@(     
        "9E2F88E3.Twitter"
        "ClearChannelRadioDigital.iHeartRadio"
        "Flipboard.Flipboard"
        "king.com.CandyCrushSodaSaga"
        "Microsoft.3DBuilder"
        #"Microsoft.Appconnector"
        "Microsoft.BingFinance"
        "Microsoft.BingNews"
        "Microsoft.BingSports"
        "Microsoft.BingWeather"
        "Microsoft.CommsPhone"
        "Microsoft.Getstarted"
        #"Microsoft.Messaging"
        "Microsoft.MicrosoftOfficeHub"
        "Microsoft.MicrosoftSolitaireCollection"
        "Microsoft.Office.OneNote"
        "Microsoft.Office.Sway"
        "Microsoft.People"
        "Microsoft.SkypeApp"
        "Microsoft.Windows.Phone"
        "Microsoft.Windows.Photos"
        "Microsoft.WindowsAlarms"
        #"Microsoft.WindowsCalculator"
        "Microsoft.WindowsCamera"
        "Microsoft.WindowsMaps"
        "Microsoft.WindowsPhone"
        "Microsoft.WindowsSoundRecorder"
        #"Microsoft.WindowsStore"
        "Microsoft.XboxApp"
        "Microsoft.ZuneMusic"
        "Microsoft.ZuneVideo"
        #"microsoft.windowscommunicationsapps"
        "Microsoft.MinecraftUWP"
        "ShazamEntertainmentLtd.Shazam"        
    )
    
    foreach ($app in $apps) {    
        Get-AppxPackage -Name $app -AllUsers | Remove-AppxPackage
        Get-AppXProvisionedPackage -Online | where DisplayName -EQ $app | Remove-AppxProvisionedPackage -Online
                
        $appPath="$Env:LOCALAPPDATA\Packages\$app*"
        Remove-Item $appPath -Recurse -Force -ErrorAction 0
    }
    Sorry to resurrect an old thread but the code you posted was the first that worked any way successfully for me ( although I still cannot get the -allusers parameter to work). I edited the list of apps to remove as applicable. Could I ask:

    1. Some of your apps to remove are prefixed with # - is there a reason for this - is it to comment out the line ?
    2. What does the last two lines do - is it to remove any cached data relating to removed apps ?


    Thanks again for posting this code.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  7. Joined : Jun 2015
    Posts : 259
    Windows 7 (SP1)
       26 Aug 2016 #77

    Eireannach said: View Post
    Sorry to resurrect an old thread but the code you posted was the first that worked any way successfully for me ( although I still cannot get the -allusers parameter to work). I edited the list of apps to remove as applicable. Could I ask:

    1. Some of your apps to remove are prefixed with # - is there a reason for this - is it to comment out the line ?
    2. What does the last two lines do - is it to remove any cached data relating to removed apps ?


    Thanks again for posting this code.
    Hi,
    Try this it's even easier

    http://www.thewindowsclub.com/10appsmanager-windows-10
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  8. Joined : Nov 2015
    Pretoria South Africa
    Posts : 199
    Win 10 Pro Build 1607 14393.576
       26 Aug 2016 #78

    zooburner said: View Post
    Thank you for the link! I like the two-way approach, both for removing and replacing. Definitely going to try it!

    Geoff
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


 
Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678


Similar Threads
Thread Forum
How to automatically (cmd/powershell script) unpin all apps in start
Hi. I would like to automatize cleaning the Windows 10's start menu from all these default pinned apps that I'm not using. I don't want to remove apps, only unpin from from start. I tried to google help, but didn't find any. There seems to be...
Customization
Store Update Apps Automatically - Turn On or Off in Windows 10
Turn On or Off Automatic Download and Install of App Updates by Store in Windows 10 The Windows Store offers various apps that users can browse through, purchase, or get for free to download and install to their Microsoft account in Windows 10...
Tutorials
How do U keep Win 10 from reinstalling apps I removed? (& Privacy)
How do you keep Win10 from reinstalling apps I removed? Furthermore.. how to delete 10's metro apps that it wont let me uninstall? ( I wont ever use any metro or new UI apps so I want them All removed from my system.) I KNOW I have uninstalled...
Software and Apps
Successfully removed default apps in admin account but ...
I managed to get rid of a lot of apps in my admin account by using the code (see screenshot) but i can't remove them in user account . I tried the code that is supposed to prevent the user account from having all the apps re install but it didn't...
Software and Apps
Amazing real-time wind map (USA)
Click to zoom in on your area. Wind Map
Chillout Room
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:13.
Find Us
Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 10 Forums