Windows 10: Windows 10: You've got questions, I've got answers

Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

  1. Posts : 436
    Windows 10 Pro 64bit v1803 build 17133.73
       13 Nov 2015 #50

    Norton can and does update from time to time, like MS who knows what is actually going on there. If it ain't broke don't touch it. If you really dig into this forum, win 8 and 7 forum too, you probably can find most fixes for bad installs etc. The 12th of November, won't forget that date. Recovered from a seriously messed up OS upgrade on a correctly performing machine from we know who. But, it can be done. It all started with a corrupted windows update that got corrupted during the initial TH2 install.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  2. Posts : 1,039
    Windows XP/7/8/8.1/10, Linux, Android, FreeBSD Unix
       13 Nov 2015 #51

    lopedoggie said: View Post
    Norton can and does update from time to time, like MS who knows what is actually going on there. It it ain't broke don't touch it.
    Norton updates daily and will update without you knowing as it's all done by Live Update.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  3. Posts : 3,085
    Windows 10 Pro 64 bit
       13 Nov 2015 #52

    Almighty1 said: View Post
    Norton updates daily and will update without you knowing as it's all done by Live Update.
    o.k. back to stranglehold... oh mean threshold
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  4. Posts : 1,039
    Windows XP/7/8/8.1/10, Linux, Android, FreeBSD Unix
       13 Nov 2015 #53

    jds63 said: View Post
    o.k. back to stranglehold... oh mean threshold
    LOL, just did a Live Update manually and today alone, there were 5 updates. Think it has to be better than Windows Defender though.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  5. Posts : 3,085
    Windows 10 Pro 64 bit
       13 Nov 2015 #54

    Almighty1 said: View Post
    LOL, just did a Live Update manually and today alone, there were 5 updates. Think it has to be better than Windows Defender though.
    Many would not agree, but matters what you feel works best for you and ratings are not terrible for protection.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  6. Posts : 1,039
    Windows XP/7/8/8.1/10, Linux, Android, FreeBSD Unix
       13 Nov 2015 #55

    jds63 said: View Post
    Many would not agree, but matters what you feel works best for you and ratings are not terrible for protection.
    Yes because many want something free which is where Avast and Windows Defender are probably better at. I use to use SystemWorks ever since 1995 or 1996 when Norton SystemWorks 9.0 had bugs and got renamed Norton SystemWorks for Windows 1.0. LOL. What works best is when you actually have a virus and it protects you which is way different than ratings. I know in 1992-1993, even with the latest updates, Norton would not find the virus while McAfee will but then in 1998, the Bank of Hawaii had a virus attack and I had to make a emergency trip to fix it, Norton worked and McAfee didn't see the virus.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  7. Posts : 1,039
    Windows XP/7/8/8.1/10, Linux, Android, FreeBSD Unix
       13 Nov 2015 #56

    In any case, what I was trying to say initially was that it seems like some people who had Symantec Norton security products did not get updated to v22.5.2.15 which is the minimum Windows 10 requires so anytime they use the Windows installer, it will uninstall their Norton product as I read on this forum a few months ago.

    Just a interesting note for Norton 360 Premier Edition.

    The installer for 21.1.0 is 207MB
    The installer for 22.5.2.15 is 136MB
    The installer for 22.5.4.24 is 132MB

    So it seems to be getting smaller and smaller so not sure when the software version gets updated, do they really remove the extra bloat or not which may be what's causing the problems.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  8. Posts : 3,085
    Windows 10 Pro 64 bit
       13 Nov 2015 #57

    Almighty1 said: View Post
    In any case, what I was trying to say initially was that it seems like some people who had Symantec Norton security products did not get updated to v22.5.2.15 which is the minimum Windows 10 requires so anytime they use the Windows installer, it will uninstall their Norton product as I read on this forum a few months ago.

    Just a interesting note for Norton 360 Premier Edition.

    The installer for 21.1.0 is 207MB
    The installer for 22.5.2.15 is 136MB
    The installer for 22.5.4.24 is 132MB

    So it seems to be getting smaller and smaller so not sure when the software version gets updated, do they really remove the extra bloat or not which may be what's causing the problems.
    I had version before 22.5.2.15 with Windows 10, again no issues, might of been 2 version before that if i recall them updating patches during period of having Win 10.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  • Posts : 1,039
    Windows XP/7/8/8.1/10, Linux, Android, FreeBSD Unix
       13 Nov 2015 #58

    jds63 said: View Post
    I had version before 22.5.2.15 with Windows 10, again no issues, might of been 2 version before that if i recall them updating patches during period of having Win 10.
    It might have to do with what version you had installed originally as mines was installed in November 2013 and went through a few versions before even seeing 22.5.2.15. There is not much installed on this machine either.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  • Posts : 3,085
    Windows 10 Pro 64 bit
       13 Nov 2015 #59

    Almighty1 said: View Post
    It might have to do with what version you had installed originally as mines was installed in November 2013 and went through a few versions before even seeing 22.5.2.15. There is not much installed on this machine either.
    There you go, old version patched for windows 10, rest my case, lol
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  •  
    Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

    Related Threads
    Hello All. I have two question if I may. 1. Everytime I switch on I get the following sign...AMD QUICK STREAM. Error-the license information to use this software was not found. 2. How do I put an icon on the desktop.eg someone sent me an...
    The offer of a 'free' update or upgrade to W10 has understandably caused quite a stir. I can think of a few questions I would need answers to before committing to the decision. 1/ Unless a "clean install option" from an ISO was available then I...
    Our Sites
    Site Links
    About Us
    Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

    Designer Media Ltd
    All times are GMT -5. The time now is 14:53.
    Find Us