Windows 10: First Major Update for Windows 10 Available

  1.    13 Nov 2015 #550

    Scottyboy99 said: View Post
    MS deems us unworthy! I have a real dislike for apple and their relentless iOS updates causing carnage. But at least iOS comes out for everybody at the same time and for the most part doesn't fail to install! I wish the custom builder of my PC hadn't been quite so quick processing my order and building it a couple weeks ago, then at least would of dodged the update as it should already of been pre-installed
    Thats not true. My father-in-law had a terrible time installing the latest IOS on his desktop. And why is the Genius bar always full of people with apple problems?
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  2.    13 Nov 2015 #551

    All of my computers are updated. It's super easy and saves a bunch of internet bandwidth (if updating more than one computer) to just download it with Media Creation Tool and use one file to update all computers.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  3. Posts : 584
    Windows 10 Home - Version 1803 - Build 17134.320
       13 Nov 2015 #552

    tomseys said: View Post
    I'll try a few reinstallation of programs and if no good I'll clean install.
    Definitely wish I had just left if alone.
    I found that you can go back to an earlier build in recovery settings. But instead I reinstalled the synaptics driver that was acting weird and now that is behaving fine. I also went through all the settings and put them back the way i had it. Backgrounds apps for example were all enabled. I re-disabled most of them.

    I also did a ccleaner scan and purge and then did an auslogics defrag (20% fragmented) and also an FF refresh. Now everything seems good and startup is a little faster than pre-threshold. I like the new power menu - less DOS looking.

    So now all is good but I will leave my other PCs alone for now and just let the update comes when it does.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  4.    13 Nov 2015 #553

    Your right


    They are all as bad as eachother. I never had an iOS problem, apart from after installation when functions are broken. Guess I've been reasonably fortunate. But, MS, Apple, constant updates - tired of it. This is a stress though, nothing being offered, if and when it eventually does will it go in ok (will it ever?). Will it break functions????? I just wish it would offer itself on update - if it breaks something then so be it. I'd just rather know so I can get on with investigating, at the moment many of us are all in total limbo.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  5.    13 Nov 2015 #554

    So I used the MCT to upgrade to v10586 since it didn't come through WU on Day 2. It took about 11-12 minutes to complete, and all looks good so far.

    I had a couple of things I had to tweak but nothing major. One of the tweaks I had to fix is after it booted up to the desktop, about 2-3 minutes later, the desktop background (Windows 10 image) that I had stopped filling the screen and was a small picture. I went into background settings and corrected.

    My only comment to that is I knew where to go to fix it, others may not and would say the upgrade didn't work right.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  6. badrobot's Avatar
    Posts : 5,121
    Win 10 Pro x64
       13 Nov 2015 #555

    Scottyboy99 said: View Post
    They are all as bad as eachother. I never had an iOS problem, apart from after installation when functions are broken. Guess I've been reasonably fortunare. But, MS, Apple, constant updates - tired of it. This is a stress though, nothing being offered, if and when it eventually does will it go in ok (will it ever?). Will it break functions????? I just wish it would offer itself on update - if it breaks something then so be it. I'd just rather know so I can get on with investigating, at the moment many of us are all in total limbo.
    Basically nothing breaks. Issues depend on hardware which can be easily solved with latest drivers. But the best way to get a flawless upgrade is to do a clean install as patching things up via update is really prone to errors and issues. Some are lucky to have a flawless update. But others not so much but it doesn't mean Windows 10 is broken or breaking stuffs. You just need to know what to do and that is what this forum is here for.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  7. JohnBurns's Avatar
    Posts : 368
    Windows 10 1803 Build 17134.319
       13 Nov 2015 #556

    Inundated said: View Post
    Mr. Burns, you don't happen to make a living designing graphics packages for TV stations? :)
    Not me - another guy by same name - just here in OKC at one time I had an FBI guy with the same name and a bad check writer with the same name unfortunately. Wish I were a graphics designer...sounds lucrative - lol!
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  8. Posts : 584
    Windows 10 Home - Version 1803 - Build 17134.320
       13 Nov 2015 #557

    badrobot said: View Post
    Basically nothing breaks. Issues depend on hardware which can be easily solved with latest drivers. But the best way to get a flawless upgrade is to do a clean install as patching things up via update is really prone to errors and issues. Some are lucky to have a flawless update. But others not so much but it doesn't mean Windows 10 is broken or breaking stuffs. You just need to know what to do and that is what this forum is here for.
    Sorry if this seems retarded but.. when you say clean install that means that you are erasing everything on the drive and then installing the operating system and then you need to manually re-install all your programs and personal files from say a flashdrive and downloading from websites?

    If one wanted to do a clean install of Windows 10 with threshold included, I guess using the media creation tool, how do you do it? Thanks.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  9.    13 Nov 2015 #558

    badrobot said: View Post
    Basically nothing breaks. Issues depend on hardware which can be easily solved with latest drivers. But the best way to get a flawless upgrade is to do a clean install as patching things up via update is really prone to errors and issues. Some are lucky to have a flawless update. But others not so much but it doesn't mean Windows 10 is broken or breaking stuffs. You just need to know what to do and that is what this forum is here for.
    My path to current 10586: W7>Sp1>8>8.1>W101240>10586, all of it updates/upgrades while changing several MBs and other HW including HDDs/SSDs and still working just fine. Except for new W7 installation just before upgrading to W8, none of them are clean installs, all changes were made from Macrium Reflect images.
      My ComputersSystem Spec

  10.    13 Nov 2015 #559

    tomseys said: View Post
    Sorry if this seems retarded but.. when you say clean install that means that you are erasing everything on the drive and then installing the operating system and then you need to manually re-install all your programs and personal files from say a flashdrive and downloading from websites?

    If one wanted to do a clean install of Windows 10 with threshold included, I guess using the media creation tool, how do you do it? Thanks.
    You're assuming it right. All you have to do is download ISO from MS or using MCT, and make a BOOT DVD or USB. During BOOT and installation from either of them in the options delete old partitions and let install finish, you don't even need to enter registration, it will activate itself.
      My ComputersSystem Spec


 

Related Threads
I tried to update to the First Windows 10 Major Update but...https://youtu.be/AB0XMwa3knw
I upgraded to windows 10 and for a couiple of days everything was fine then i had an automatic update and thats when my problems started. I know one of the reasons Windows 10 is free is to get everyone on Windows Edge the stupid thing is since the...
Major Windows Update Problems in Windows Updates and Activation
For the last 3 builds I have had major windows update issues. I have the same problem on 2 Win10 machines. Its not my network because all my Windows 8.1 machines update just fine. I have done multiple clean installs. When I do a clean install...
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:12.
Find Us