Windows 10: First Major Update for Windows 10 Available

  1. Wynona's Avatar
    Posts : 21,474
    Windows 10 Skip Ahead Preview Build 18219
       12 Nov 2015 #200

    I downloaded the Media Creation Tool and did a clean install on my desktop. When it finished I checked "winver" and it said 10586.0 but Insider Build was 10586.3 so I went back to Update and Security, checked for updates and got a whole bunch of them to match the ones on my Insider Build. Now it's up to 10586.3.

    Just a FYI.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  2. Posts : 964
    dual boot W10 10586th2/14291 rs1 Win. Insider since Jan. 2015
       12 Nov 2015 #201

    Interesting....... the media creation tool .exe download link at the tutorial linked here says Windows 10 10586 11/12/2015 .
    I dowloaded it and started the Win 10 setup download ????

    Did the media creation tool download button have 10586 and todays date on it when you tried it or no ?
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  3.    12 Nov 2015 #202

    Wynona said: View Post
    I downloaded the Media Creation Tool and did a clean install on my desktop. When it finished I checked "winver" and it said 10586.0 but Insider Build was 10586.3 so I went back to Update and Security, checked for updates and got a whole bunch of them to match the ones on my Insider Build. Now it's up to 10586.3.

    Just a FYI.
    Same thing happened to me with Pro and Enterprise clean installs. had to run Windows update to go from 10586.0 to 10586.3. I think I posted it already, easy to miss posts in threads like this though. Hard to keep up with new posts, especially if your replying to some of them and forget to go back and read all of them.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  4. badrobot's Avatar
    Posts : 5,126
    Win 10 Pro x64
       12 Nov 2015 #203

    The new version number is 1511. Used to be "Version 10.0". Does it connotes "2015 November"?

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	win10_1511.JPG 
Views:	145 
Size:	37.9 KB 
ID:	47675
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  5.    12 Nov 2015 #204

    Does media creation tool method preserve programs already installed (non Microsoft), I have things like iTunes and a whole bunch of games/steam etc. I'd hate for the update to mess with that stuff

    Cheers
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  6. Posts : 37,567
    Dual boot Windows 10 FCU Pro x 64 & current Insider 10 Pro
       12 Nov 2015 #205

    Wynona said: View Post
    Yes, with a gotcha . . . I always go back to Update and Security and there were updates waiting for me. This took me from 10586.0 to 10586.3 which is the final for today I think.
    I think the "Cumulative Update for Windows 10 Version 1511 for x64-based Systems (KB3105211)" the other day took it from .0 to .3.

    These are just ISOs with that added, yes?
      My ComputersSystem Spec

  7.    12 Nov 2015 #206

    CalBear37 said: View Post
    I just went through the whole hour+ long update on another computer and its still on Build 10240. So it appears the media creation tool does not do the latest upgrade as proposed in several postings in this thread.
    Worked fine for me.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	WinVer.jpg 
Views:	4 
Size:	88.7 KB 
ID:	47676
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  8. Posts : 1,029
    Windows 1.00 to Windows 10 Pro 64-bit Build 17713
       12 Nov 2015 #207

    Experience to date:

    I opted for the MCT USB route. I chose 32-bit + 64-bit. It downloaded without a hitch. I went for a clean install, starting with DISKPART.

    Booting from the USB brought up an old-style DOS prompt thingy with a choice of x64 or x32. After a few screens there was an option to chose Home or Pro. Install went fine and then downloaded two updates.

    WINVER shows 10586.3

    I'll report back later.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  9.    12 Nov 2015 #208

    blutos cousin said: View Post
    Interesting....... the media creation tool .exe download link at the tutorial linked here says Windows 10 10586 11/12/2015 .
    I dowloaded it and started the Win 10 setup download ????

    Did the media creation tool download button have 10586 and todays date on it when you tried it or no ?
    it downloads 10586 then you do windows updates to take it to 10586.3
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  10.    12 Nov 2015 #209

    Scottyboy99 said: View Post
    Does media creation tool method preserve programs already installed (non Microsoft), I have things like iTunes and a whole bunch of games/steam etc. I'd hate for the update to mess with that stuff

    Cheers
    Yes. I just used the Media Creation Tool and elected to do the Upgrade, not create an ISO. It worked fine. (See my post here.)
      My ComputerSystem Spec


 

Related Threads
I tried to update to the First Windows 10 Major Update but...https://youtu.be/AB0XMwa3knw
I upgraded to windows 10 and for a couiple of days everything was fine then i had an automatic update and thats when my problems started. I know one of the reasons Windows 10 is free is to get everyone on Windows Edge the stupid thing is since the...
Major Windows Update Problems in Windows Updates and Activation
For the last 3 builds I have had major windows update issues. I have the same problem on 2 Win10 machines. Its not my network because all my Windows 8.1 machines update just fine. I have done multiple clean installs. When I do a clean install...
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:47.
Find Us