Windows 10: PC Support Reps Tell Users to Uninstall Windows 10

Page 12 of 20 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast

  1. Posts : 19,777
    Windows 10 Insider Preview Build 17083
       09 Nov 2015 #110

    pokeefe0001 said: View Post
    I know I'm not saying anything new, but I'd like to emphasize that at least some of the readers are not particularly techy and are on the forum for help with and information about a new and somewhat puzzling operating system. The fact that we're here means we are not averse to trying "this or that". It may be more that we are trying to determine whether we are willing to try "this", or maybe we should wait until we understand more about "that".

    I don't see anything wrong with people that jump in with all feet and try everything new. I certainly see any reason to bash them. But at the same time, I don't see any reason that we that are less tech savvy should be bashed for our feeling cautious or wary.

    Or am I misreading your post. Are you saying that only techies are welcome here?
    I agree 100%, sir.

    Please don't worry about those who think we should all fit into round or square holes. This is an open forum and as long as we obey the rules and regulations, we're good.

    More than anything, these forums are to be helpful for Windows users. If I can help, I will; if I need help, I will ask for it and it's forthcoming.

    So, don't sweat the small stuff; it'll all sort out.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  2.    09 Nov 2015 #111

    Enterprise Users do not use OEM PC Support Help Lines. Small and medium sized businesses most likely do not have Enterprise licences and if they do they should know that 2017 is the agreed to start date for W10. The question that small to medium sized businesses with non-Enterprise licenses need to ask themselves right now concerns risk. Will upgrading now put the business at risk? The criteria used for this decision is obviously quite different from what a home user would contemplate. If the small business entered into a volume purchase agreement with an OEM, they would have had to understand the terms of the support agreement. It is usually no different from what a home user is offered. The hardware warranty is the same and the OS that comes with the device is supported as per the OEM EULA. Some OEMs offer additional software support plans. If a business was to use one of these plans then they should expect a higher level of support than what the general help line offers. My guess is that most businesses do not avail themselves of these plans.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  3. Posts : 2,489
    Windows 10 Pro x64 1803 - 17134.5 XP/Vista/Win7/Win8.1 in VM for testing
       09 Nov 2015 #112

    When I used to specify and source ICT systems for the SME market the hardware and software was always separated out. The hardware maintenance was the suppliers responsibility, ( and would normally include some agreed minimum turn around times etc), whereas Operating systems and software were always, either Business, (Retail), or Enterprise licences depending on numbers and were thus the responsibility of Microsoft or the software company involved. Specialist software was always subject to specific support contracts
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  4.    09 Nov 2015 #113

    Leopard said: View Post
    Enterprise Users do not use OEM PC Support Help Lines. Small and medium sized businesses most likely do not have Enterprise licences and if they do they should know that 2017 is the agreed to start date for W10. The question that small to medium sized businesses with non-Enterprise licenses need to ask themselves right now concerns risk. Will upgrading now put the business at risk? The criteria used for this decision is obviously quite different from what a home user would contemplate. If the small business entered into a volume purchase agreement with an OEM, they would have had to understand the terms of the support agreement. It is usually no different from what a home user is offered. The hardware warranty is the same and the OS that comes with the device is supported as per the OEM EULA. Some OEMs offer additional software support plans. If a business was to use one of these plans then they should expect a higher level of support than what the general help line offers. My guess is that most businesses do not avail themselves of these plans.
    Any references for the statement?
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  5. Posts : 19,777
    Windows 10 Insider Preview Build 17083
       09 Nov 2015 #114

    FrozenCursor said: View Post
    Any references for the statement?
    Agreed to by whom?
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  6. Posts : 419
    Win10 x64 Pro -2 desktops, 1 laptop
       09 Nov 2015 #115

    From a couple web pages I read, the Enterprise edition was available on Aug 1 - just after the home and pro editions. However, I suspect many enterprise customers have set specific installation dates. I wouldn't be surprised if some of them are delaying until 2017, but that almost certainly is not the case for all businesses.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  7. Posts : 164
    WINDOWS 10 PRO Updated to last Build
       09 Nov 2015 #116
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  8.    09 Nov 2015 #117

    FrozenCursor said: View Post
    I did show the numbers which you even quoted and which are based on looking at failures of Windows 10 upgrades reported in threads just like this one, as I wrote. You may be even right hinting at failure rates that may be way larger than 0.01%, take that number then as a label for 'way too large' ('way too large' for work computers, that is. Both work and hobby computers are affected, but the failure rates may be adequate for hobby computers)

    Not sure this is a hobby site, there are certainly small business owners on this site that maintain their own work computers (or have their grandpa on this site that does the Windows 10 upgrades for them )

    Say that upgrading a work computer to Windows 10 fails and the financial loss incurred is $1K per day. Say it takes 2 days to get it working again. It would be cheaper to get a new work computer in the first place, or not upgrading at all and holding out with an old OS as long as possible. The latter is very common, even for large businesses and government agencies. And no, these people are not all dummies, they have things to consider that hobbyists do not have to consider.

    These considerations apply to all kinds of work computers: Windows, Apple, Linux, etc. As I wrote further above, in the past these considerations made me buy new work computers rather than upgrading old work computers (I did upgrade my hobby computers)

    The possible game changer is SaaS (Software as a Service) that Microsoft is touting for Windows 10. But it would only be an actual game changer if upgrades don't fail (or have a failure rate of near zero). With the number of failures reported in threads like this, a professional running a home office, a dentist, etc. would certainly not upgrade. They would just buy a new work computer if the old one stops working, or do a scheduled replacement every 3 years or so, it is cheaper that way.
    My opinion is that you're making a lot of assumptions not based on fact, I asked you to show me the figures, all you showed me are figures made up in your head. You say Professionals and Dentists would certainly NOT upgrade, well it just so happens that my own Dentist has upgraded to Windows 10 as I've said before on this forum, just about everything he does is in the cloud, and he can contact and get figures from his colleagues so a number of his coleagues must be using 10 as well.

    Not long ago I came across a site which worked out the number of businesses that had upgraded to Windows 10, the number was in the millions, I can't remember how many millions so I won't quote the figure, so again your assumptions are wrong.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  •    09 Nov 2015 #118

    BillyBob said: View Post
    My opinion is that you're making a lot of assumptions not based on fact, I asked you to show me the figures, all you showed me are figures made up in your head. You say Professionals and Dentists would certainly NOT upgrade, well it just so happens that my own Dentist has upgraded to Windows 10 as I've said before on this forum, just about everything he does is in the cloud, and he can contact and get figures from his colleagues so a number of his coleagues must be using 10 as well.

    Not long ago I came across a site which worked out the number of businesses that had upgraded to Windows 10, the number was in the millions, I can't remember how many millions so I won't quote the figure, so again your assumptions are wrong.
    I know for a fact that the Dr/Hospital I go through upgraded to 10 already.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  •    09 Nov 2015 #119

    BunnyJ said: View Post
    I know for a fact that the Dr/Hospital I go through upgraded to 10 already.
    Like I said according to a website the number of businesses who have upgraded to 10 is in the millions, so saying NO businesses are going to upgrade just yet is false.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  •  
    Page 12 of 20 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast

    Related Threads
    HP Support Uninstall in Software and Apps
    Not having a HP PC these two programs are not letting me remove them. Do I need them. (1) HP Support Solutions Framework and (2) HP Support Assistant I believe these were added as 3rd party due to a previous HP Printer installation which I no...
    Uninstall windows 10 in Installation and Upgrade
    I like most everything about Windows 10 but not able to view videos. Technically challenged I need some very simple step by step insruction. If this issue can't be resolved I would like to revert to Windows 7 which worked perfectly for me.
    Have decided to uninstall windows 10 as can not fix the problems. Can you tell me the best way to do it bare in mind not very good with laptops and tech stuff. Thanks
    Our Sites
    Site Links
    About Us
    Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

    Designer Media Ltd
    All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:21.
    Find Us