Windows 10: New Windows 10 Preview build 9879 available

Page 30 of 31 FirstFirst ... 2028293031 LastLast

  1. Posts : 25,496
    Dual boot: Windows 10 Home Insider Build 16179 & W8.1 Pro x64 with Media Center
       15 Nov 2014 #291

    Thanks, guys.

    When I installed the first build I used the Start Menu for a bit, then configured it to use the Start Screen instead. After that change I booted to 8.1 to find that my Start Screen was a complete mess. Tiles moved around everywhere. Took quite some time to straighten it out.

    First thing was I thought was that changing 10 must have messed it up via synched settings, so I immediately went back to 10 and reconfigured back, then back to 8.1 to shuffle the tiles back. It's liken to one of those 9-square letter shuffle puzzles except larger like a 10-square X 10-square = 100-square puzzle! I suggested in the Feedback app that they make shuffling the tiles like the Windows phone. It's much easier. Folder and translucent tiles would great also.

    All in all I thought it not a bad thing for it forced me to use and learn the new Start Menu. I doubt I'll ultimately use it though.

    Paul, are you signing into both OSs with the same MS account?
      My ComputersSystem Spec

  2.    15 Nov 2014 #292

    I am, same MS account on both, all syncing set up on both systems

    if its a store app it seems to remember your placing through syncing and just shows app is not downloaded with a little arrow on it, but in the same place as in 8
    apps that 8/10 know nothing about are ignored
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	win 8 start screen sml.png 
Views:	311 
Size:	161.5 KB 
ID:	8303Click image for larger version. 

Name:	win 10 start screen sml.png 
Views:	307 
Size:	159.6 KB 
ID:	8304
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  3. Posts : 25,496
    Dual boot: Windows 10 Home Insider Build 16179 & W8.1 Pro x64 with Media Center
       15 Nov 2014 #293

    Thanks, Paul.

    I'm done trying to figure it out. I'll just continue to use as is.

    Here's a tid bit: How to enable an early version of the new Start Screen
      My ComputersSystem Spec

  4.    15 Nov 2014 #294

    Cheers, going to try that new start screen/menu tomorrow

    The onedrive changes in the new build have killed of my use of 10 now (not going to download all files so I can see them) so if this change screws it up will just do a clean install
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  5.    15 Nov 2014 #295

    HippsieGypsie said: View Post
    alphanumeric said: View Post
    OK, now I see what's going on with the greyed out Boot to Desktop option. If it's set it to use the Start Menu (the default on a fresh install), the option to Boot to Desktop is checked and greyed out. When I switched to the Start Screen it became a selectable option. It doesn't actually change until you log out and log back in again.
    If I check the option "Show Start on display.....", sign out then back in, the option to uncheck the first option under 'Start Screen" lights up to uncheck it to use and boot to the Start Screen?

    LOL! I need to know for sure because checking that and using the Start Screen messed up my 8.1 Start Screen in the first build due to synching.
    That drove me nuts until I figured out what was happening. My Start Screen layout was synced between my desktop and laptop. Two different sized screens. I'd log in on my laptop and my tiles would be all rearranged. I'd sort them out and log off. I'd then log into my desktop PC and guess what? Same deal, I'd rearrange them and it would be fine until I used my laptop again. Wash, rinse, repeat.
    Charms Bar > Settings > Change PC Settings > One Drive > Sync Settings > Start Screen
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  6. Posts : 25,496
    Dual boot: Windows 10 Home Insider Build 16179 & W8.1 Pro x64 with Media Center
       15 Nov 2014 #296

    alphanumeric said: View Post
    HippsieGypsie said: View Post
    alphanumeric said: View Post
    OK, now I see what's going on with the greyed out Boot to Desktop option. If it's set it to use the Start Menu (the default on a fresh install), the option to Boot to Desktop is checked and greyed out. When I switched to the Start Screen it became a selectable option. It doesn't actually change until you log out and log back in again.
    If I check the option "Show Start on display.....", sign out then back in, the option to uncheck the first option under 'Start Screen" lights up to uncheck it to use and boot to the Start Screen?

    LOL! I need to know for sure because checking that and using the Start Screen messed up my 8.1 Start Screen in the first build due to synching.
    That drove me nuts until I figured out what was happening. My Start Screen layout was synced between my desktop and laptop. Two different sized screens. I'd log in on my laptop and my tiles would be all rearranged. I'd sort them out and log off. I'd then log into my desktop PC and guess what? Same deal, I'd rearrange them and it would be fine until I used my laptop again. Wash, rinse, repeat.
    Charms Bar > Settings > Change PC Settings > One Drive > Sync Settings > Start Screen
    Thanks for that, Kerry! How simple!

    LOL! Didn't think of that either. Haven't been in that setting for eons. Seems like it got more sophisticated in 8.1 with updates also.
      My ComputersSystem Spec

  7.    15 Nov 2014 #297

    HippsieGypsie said: View Post
    alphanumeric said: View Post
    HippsieGypsie said: View Post
    alphanumeric said: View Post
    OK, now I see what's going on with the greyed out Boot to Desktop option. If it's set it to use the Start Menu (the default on a fresh install), the option to Boot to Desktop is checked and greyed out. When I switched to the Start Screen it became a selectable option. It doesn't actually change until you log out and log back in again.
    If I check the option "Show Start on display.....", sign out then back in, the option to uncheck the first option under 'Start Screen" lights up to uncheck it to use and boot to the Start Screen?

    LOL! I need to know for sure because checking that and using the Start Screen messed up my 8.1 Start Screen in the first build due to synching.
    That drove me nuts until I figured out what was happening. My Start Screen layout was synced between my desktop and laptop. Two different sized screens. I'd log in on my laptop and my tiles would be all rearranged. I'd sort them out and log off. I'd then log into my desktop PC and guess what? Same deal, I'd rearrange them and it would be fine until I used my laptop again. Wash, rinse, repeat.
    Charms Bar > Settings > Change PC Settings > One Drive > Sync Settings > Start Screen
    Thanks for that, Kerry! How simple!

    LOL! Didn't think of that either. Haven't been in that setting for eons. Seems like it got more sophisticated in 8.1 with updates also.
    I use some and turn some off. I let it sync sign in info and favorite's in IE. That way if I bookmark a site on my laptop it will show up on my desktop and vise versa. It does have its uses.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  8.    15 Nov 2014 #298

    Halmo said: View Post
    groze said: View Post
    Halmo said: View Post
    Downloaded and started installation of build 9879. Computer showed "Installing." Came back a little later to find the computer had tried to restart, but hung up on a blue screen saying "Your PC needs to be repaired. I cannot boot computer now. Screen looks like Attachment 8245
    I tried to boot from installation disk and could not. Help! Windows 10 was running great before this.

    If you have not tried this, when the computer shows the welcome install screen, press the Shift+F10 key to use the command prompt.


    bootrec /fixboot
    bootrec /fixmbr

    if that still fails, try again and do this

    bootrec /rebuildbcd
    bootrec /fixboot
    bootrec /fixmbr

    Good luck
    I can't even boot to the Welcome screen. Everytime I try to reboot I get the blue screen I show.
    Try Automatic Repair from Repair CD or installlation disk.

    If you don't have disk may need to extract the ESD file from its location provided in ESD to ISO - Create Bootable ISO from Windows 10 ESD File to create an ISO to burn to disk on another PC. Files can be rescued from unbootable OS using Paragon Rescue Kit Free Edition 11.0 Free

    Good reason to make our Repair CD's if using Update channel.

    Does anyone know for sure if Windows 8 or 8.1 Repair CD will work on TP?
    Last edited by gregrocker; 15 Nov 2014 at 14:45.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  9.    17 Nov 2014 #299

    gregrocker said: View Post
    Try Automatic Repair from Repair CD or installlation disk.

    If you don't have disk may need to extract the ESD file from its location provided in ESD to ISO - Create Bootable ISO from Windows 10 ESD File to create an ISO to burn to disk on another PC. Files can be rescued from unbootable OS using Paragon Rescue Kit Free Edition 11.0 Free

    Good reason to make our Repair CD's if using Update channel.

    Does anyone know for sure if Windows 8 or 8.1 Repair CD will work on TP?
    I use Paragon HDM15S and used it to restore their PVHD backup after finding out that W10TP 9879 doesn't like a clean boot at all, it wouldn't boot up. The second time yesterday after being infected by a browser hijacker after looking for a ESD to ISO converter, not knowing about the one here yet. So much for Dev-Host's scanned files and MS Defender's ability!
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  10.    17 Nov 2014 #300

    This doesn't work because, as I said in my original post, my computer starts with the Toshiba screen and then immediately goes to the screen I posted the picture of. The computer will not read anything in the DVD drive even thought I was able to get into the BIOS and set it to boot from the DVD drive.
    wptski said: View Post
    gregrocker said: View Post
    Try Automatic Repair from Repair CD or installlation disk.

    If you don't have disk may need to extract the ESD file from its location provided in ESD to ISO - Create Bootable ISO from Windows 10 ESD File to create an ISO to burn to disk on another PC. Files can be rescued from unbootable OS using Paragon Rescue Kit Free Edition 11.0 Free

    Good reason to make our Repair CD's if using Update channel.

    Does anyone know for sure if Windows 8 or 8.1 Repair CD will work on TP?
    I use Paragon HDM15S and used it to restore their PVHD backup after finding out that W10TP 9879 doesn't like a clean boot at all, it wouldn't boot up. The second time yesterday after being infected by a browser hijacker after looking for a ESD to ISO converter, not knowing about the one here yet. So much for Dev-Host's scanned files and MS Defender's ability!
      My ComputerSystem Spec


 
Page 30 of 31 FirstFirst ... 2028293031 LastLast

Related Threads
More
Hey All! Yes, I've been away and still not well but, have received a email from Gabe Aul @MS today and would like to share it with you. What made me post this is the fact that we are not getting any new builds till January. Just thought I'd let...
Download Windows Technical Preview November Update - Microsoft Windows here be good to do clean install :):)
I've been using Windows 10 since the first build release; dualing booting with Windows 8.1. No problems. Since I've upgraded to Build 9879, everything on the start menu is just so much bigger. I really dislike it. Even the font on the Log on and...
The next version of Windows is engineered for the way you live and work, protected against cyber risks and threats, and managed for continuous innovation. Need more information? See what's new in Windows 10 Technical Preview for Enterprise. ...
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 00:40.
Find Us