Page 24 of 31 FirstFirst ... 142223242526 ... LastLast
  1.    14 Nov 2014 #231
    Join Date : Nov 2013
    Toronto
    Posts : 4,661
    Win 10 Pro x64

    Quote Originally Posted by groze View Post
    Well I am not quite certain which part of Windows 10 resembles Windows 7 that you are referring to, but even with that said;

    After using Microsoft software for over 30 years,
    Yes I could change to Linux or OSX, or I can stay with Win7 or Windows 8.1 with my Start8, all of which are very good operating systems.

    I am content with Windows 8.1 and my Start8 menu, I see no reason to change (at least not to Windows 10, it is my least favorite), IMHO Windows 10 is simply not very elegant, but I will keep your suggestion in mind.
    I agree with Trust_No1, when I was testing out windows 10, there is no part that resembles Windows 7 that I noticed. That sure won't get Windows 7 uses to move to Windows 10.

    Trust_No1, there are several Linux desktops with start menu (technically called application menu) that are similar to windows 98se through Windows 7. Even if you find a favorite distro, you can also install your favorite desktop.

    Microsoft ought to take a cue from Linux. Have different desktops add ons that can be added from windows 1.0 through windows 10 and on.


    When I say "like" Win7, I am referring mostly to desktop interface (keyboard and mouse) rather than the start screen.

    What is the use of developing a new OS if we all want the old stuffs? This Tech Preview is MS' way of getting the us ready for things to come. If you don't embrace change now, you will forever hold your peace.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  2.    14 Nov 2014 #232
    Join Date : Jul 2014
    Serbia
    Posts : 10,616
    W10 Insider + Linux

    I for one, do not lament loss of Start menu from Win7, after all the programs (sometimes over 100 or more) that menu becomes practically unusable and it takes two pages. Some kind of tabbed interface could help more.
      My ComputersSystem Spec
  3.    14 Nov 2014 #233
    Join Date : Oct 2014
    Posts : 1,555
    W7 32 bit, Linux Mint Xfce 18 64 bit

    Hmm, I thought the whole point of Microsoft is to move users from windows xp, vista, 7, 8.0, 8.1 to windows 10. Windows 7 has been reported as the top os worldwide.


    For some strange reason Microsoft refused to issue a windows service pack 2 for windows 7. Despite the fact it goes against the release cycle of previous service packs.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  4.    14 Nov 2014 #234
    Join Date : Jan 2014
    Oak Ridge TN, USA
    Posts : 24,523
    Windows 10 Pro x64

    Quote Originally Posted by groze View Post
    Hmm, I thought the whole point of Microsoft is to move users from windows xp, vista, 7, 8.0, 8.1 to windows 10.


    For some strange reason Microsoft refused to issue a windows service pack 2 for windows 7. Despite the fact it goes against the release cycle of previous service packs.
    Moving over to the new OS and staying in the past are two different things.
    If MS does an update to the UI they get criticized... if they don't.. they get criticized.
    It's a no win for them I guess.

    Well for some at least.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  5.    14 Nov 2014 #235
    Join Date : Jan 2014
    Oak Ridge TN, USA
    Posts : 24,523
    Windows 10 Pro x64

    Quote Originally Posted by CountMike View Post
    I for one, do not lament loss of Start menu from Win7, after all the programs (sometimes over 100 or more) that menu becomes practically unusable and it takes two pages. Some kind of tabbed interface could help more.
    WOW.. now that would be a nice feature to add on.
    IMO.
    Jeff
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  6.    14 Nov 2014 #236
    Join Date : Aug 2014
    Australia, Adelaide
    Posts : 1,569
    W7 Ultimate SP1 (64 bit), LM 18.2 MATE (64 bit), W10 Home (64 bit)

    Quote Originally Posted by badrobot View Post
    Something is not right with the power options.
    I left my PC to take a shower and when I came back all my 4 monitors are OFF. So, I went to Plan settings to change it to "Never" but it was already set to "Never" (both display and sleep settings). But how come my monitors still go off? Screensaver is also set to "None". Anyone here have the same issue?
    Are you certain that your monitors aren't powering themselves off?

    My monitor has its own Sleep mode.

    Quote Originally Posted by badrobot View Post
    When I say "like" Win7, I am referring mostly to desktop interface (keyboard and mouse) rather than the start screen.

    What is the use of developing a new OS if we all want the old stuffs? This Tech Preview is MS' way of getting the us ready for things to come. If you don't embrace change now, you will forever hold your peace.
    The only good change is one that makes things better.

    Quote Originally Posted by badrobot View Post
    If you don't embrace change now, you will forever hold your peace.
    Actually people will just withhold their money from MS (like they did with the W8 series).

    Quote Originally Posted by CountMike View Post
    I for one, do not lament loss of Start menu from Win7, after all the programs (sometimes over 100 or more) that menu becomes practically unusable and it takes two pages. Some kind of tabbed interface could help more.
    You can add your own sub-folders.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  7.    14 Nov 2014 #237
    Join Date : Oct 2014
    Posts : 1,555
    W7 32 bit, Linux Mint Xfce 18 64 bit

    Quote Originally Posted by BunnyJ View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by groze View Post
    Hmm, I thought the whole point of Microsoft is to move users from windows xp, vista, 7, 8.0, 8.1 to windows 10.


    For some strange reason Microsoft refused to issue a windows service pack 2 for windows 7. Despite the fact it goes against the release cycle of previous service packs.
    Moving over to the new OS and staying in the past are two different things.
    If MS does an update to the UI they get criticized... if they don't.. they get criticized.
    It's a no win for them I guess.

    Well for some at least.
    That why I said desktop add-ons. For example, if you install ubuntu, you can also add Linux mint desktop as an add on, it a little difficult but not impossible. I see it as a no brainier. Microsoft can still update the interworkings of the operating system as well as the default desktops GUI but they could also do add-ons for the people that are old fashion. In fact, they have themes add-ons. Programs like Classic Shell is a good example of what can be done. This was done for free. Remember Microsoft power toys? Also, done for free. We still have not seen the consumer preview yet.

    Yes I know Microsoft didn't make Classic Shell.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  8.    14 Nov 2014 #238
    Join Date : Jan 2014
    Oak Ridge TN, USA
    Posts : 24,523
    Windows 10 Pro x64

    Quote Originally Posted by groze View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by BunnyJ View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by groze View Post
    Hmm, I thought the whole point of Microsoft is to move users from windows xp, vista, 7, 8.0, 8.1 to windows 10.


    For some strange reason Microsoft refused to issue a windows service pack 2 for windows 7. Despite the fact it goes against the release cycle of previous service packs.
    Moving over to the new OS and staying in the past are two different things.
    If MS does an update to the UI they get criticized... if they don't.. they get criticized.
    It's a no win for them I guess.

    Well for some at least.
    That why I said desktop add-ons. For example, if you install ubuntu, you can also add Linux mint desktop as an add on, it a little difficult but not impossible. I see it as a no brainier. Microsoft can still update the interworkings of the operating system as well as the default desktops GUI but they could also do add-ons for the people that are old fashion. In fact, they have themes add-ons. Programs like Classic Shell is a good example of what can be done. This was done for free. Remember Microsoft power toys? Also, done for free. We still have not seen the consumer preview yet.

    Yes I know Microsoft didn't make Classic Shell.
    I'm sure they could do all of that but at what cost?
    Not just the development but the maintenance cost that's needed for all of that.
    I just don't think MS will do that in the near future. And the look of Win10TP will likely be the look of the consumer preview. IMO.

    Jeff
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  9.    14 Nov 2014 #239
    Join Date : Nov 2013
    Toronto
    Posts : 4,661
    Win 10 Pro x64

    Quote Originally Posted by lehnerus2000 View Post
    Are you certain that your monitors aren't powering themselves off?

    My monitor has its own Sleep mode.


    My monitors only go to sleep if they don't detect any signal from the PC. I don't have this issue with Win 7 and Linux OS. My monitors and displays are always on as long as the PC is on. I always set my PC to "Never Sleep". But this time the same settings don't work with the new build. I probably need to do a clean install. Clean installation fixes a lot of minor issues from updates.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  10.    14 Nov 2014 #240
    Join Date : Jul 2014
    Serbia
    Posts : 10,616
    W10 Insider + Linux

    Add-ons would be fine if downloaded separately. Windows is getting large as it is. Somewhat smaller footprint in W 10 is a move in right direction. Personally, I would like a clean OS without any of those applets and eye candy (all or most of them I replace with my favorite programs anyway), Don't need IE either but as it's embedded so deeply, small chance of that. The way Linux distroes are done seems like pretty nice way to do things like that but in a little more professional way.
      My ComputersSystem Spec

 
Page 24 of 31 FirstFirst ... 142223242526 ... LastLast


Similar Threads
Thread Forum
Steam Crashes on Windows 10 Build 9879
More
Windows 10 News
Windows 10 Build 9879 - Last Build of this Year
Hey All! Yes, I've been away and still not well but, have received a email from Gabe Aul @MS today and would like to share it with you. What made me post this is the fact that we are not getting any new builds till January. Just thought I'd let...
Windows 10 News
Windows 10 Build 9879 iso now available
Download Windows Technical Preview November Update - Microsoft Windows here be good to do clean install :):)
Windows 10 News
Windows 10 Start Menu....Resolution?? Build 9879
I've been using Windows 10 since the first build release; dualing booting with Windows 8.1. No problems. Since I've upgraded to Build 9879, everything on the start menu is just so much bigger. I really dislike it. Even the font on the Log on and...
Windows Insider
Windows 10 Enterprise build 9879 ISO now available
The next version of Windows is engineered for the way you live and work, protected against cyber risks and threats, and managed for continuous innovation. Need more information? See what's new in Windows 10 Technical Preview for Enterprise. ...
Windows 10 News
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 21:50.
Find Us
Twitter Facebook Google+ Ten Forums iOS App Ten Forums Android App



Windows 10 Forums