Windows 10: Firefox 64-bit is now available to download

Page 6 of 14 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast
  1.    07 Nov 2015 #50

    First time using the 64bit as well and I am quite surprised. Definitely snappier, all my addons still work (don't use many tho) and even adobe flash seems to be working fine
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  2.    07 Nov 2015 #51

    put ff 64 on desktop and had a few problems with it not responding
    web page a bit slower to show
    use pale moon 64 on here for awhile and no problems so far
    don't use edge as my touch pad will not scroll but works alright on pale moon
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  3.    08 Nov 2015 #52

    Im a little lost here, Firefox 64bit has been out and supported for a long time now....Been using it for a long time now even before Windows 10 and the 64bit FF has been fine since the launch of Windows 10 as well. I guess this is why im a little confused on the thread. If im missing something, forgive me.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  4. Posts : 542
    Windows 10 Pro x64
       08 Nov 2015 #53

    slapnuts said: View Post
    Im a little lost here, Firefox 64bit has been out and supported for a long time now....Been using it for a long time now even before Windows 10 and the 64bit FF has been fine since the launch of Windows 10 as well. I guess this is why im a little confused on the thread. If im missing something, forgive me.
    Only in nightly alpha and only recently developer builds. Not the mainstream product.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  5.    08 Nov 2015 #54

    The official release of a non-beta version of Firefox 64 bit was with release 42. All the previous releases were either beta or alpha versions.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  6. Posts : 230
    Windows 10 x64 v1803 Build 17134.1
       09 Nov 2015 #55

    unifex said: View Post
    As to the "advantage" - that was Mozilla's argument for years, they did not develop x64 FF since they did not see the advantage. My reason is that running anything 32bit on a 64bit OS requires the additional emulation layer and is simply unnatural, however well it might work. It also seems more secure, but just because the majority does not run it.
    I tried 64 bit CyberFox and WaterFox in the past and really couldn't see any benefit to using them over 32 bit Firefox. I haven't tried the new 64 bit Firefox yet, but I did read about this new vulnerability:

    Latest EMET Bypass Targets WoW64 Windows Subsystem | Threatpost | The first stop for security news

    Getting away from the emulation layer may be enough reason to switch to a 64 bit browser.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  7. Posts : 1,555
    W7 32 bit, Linux Mint Xfce 18 64 bit
       09 Nov 2015 #56


    If I am not misunderstanding this article,

    If you use 32 bit software a lot, you should use 32 bit operating systems. If you use mostly 64 bit software then you should use 64 bit operating systems.

    I thought 64 bit was suppose to protect your computer at boot time better then a 32 bit system.

    I don't know if Linux is effected by this. A lot of people add wine, which runs some 32 & 16 bit software.

    So, should you run windows 10 32 bit if you use mostly 32 bit software?
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  8.    09 Nov 2015 #57

    ff 64bit been a pain on desktop had to uninstall it was locking up the computer.
    also had to uninstall 32bit as well as it was playing up now reinstalled 32bit and everything fine.
    yet pale moon 64bit works alright.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  • Posts : 230
    Windows 10 x64 v1803 Build 17134.1
       09 Nov 2015 #58

    groze said: View Post

    If you use 32 bit software a lot, you should use 32 bit operating systems. If you use mostly 64 bit software then you should use 64 bit operating systems.

    I thought 64 bit was suppose to protect your computer at boot time better then a 32 bit system.

    So, should you run windows 10 32 bit if you use mostly 32 bit software?
    I believe the move to 64 bit Windows was driven mainly by the desire to install/utilize more than four gigs of ram.

    Kernel Patch Protection aka PatchGuard, is a feature of 64 bit versions of Windows and was first introduced with XP x64. Whether it's good or bad is hotly debated and needs a separate thread

    Note that if you use a 32 bit operating system you will only be able to run 32 bit software.

    I haven't studied the WoW64 vulnerability article yet. For the moment it makes sense to use 64 bit apps that are internet facing when possible.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  •    09 Nov 2015 #59

    Victek said: View Post
    I believe the move to 64 bit Windows was driven mainly by the desire to install/utilize more than four gigs of ram.

    Kernel Patch Protection aka PatchGuard, is a feature of 64 bit versions of Windows and was first introduced with XP x64. Whether it's good or bad is hotly debated and needs a separate thread

    Note that if you use a 32 bit operating system you will only be able to run 32 bit software.

    I haven't studied the WoW64 vulnerability article yet. For the moment it makes sense to use 64 bit apps that are internet facing when possible.
    Given that the vast majority of processors are 64bit it would only make sense to use a 64bit OS with it.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  •  
    Page 6 of 14 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

    Related Threads
    I'm using a slow network and need to download windows 10 iso file with IDM for the sake of resume ability. Media creation tool gave me too many challenges because of this slow network. Anyone with links to download either the 64bit ISO or...
    Hello, lately I've been having an issue where Windows will open a separate tab for Firefox when i open it with the original pinned icon on my task bar.. I've tried opening firefox and unpinning the pinned shortcut and pinning the opened one and...
    This should be an easy question. To avoid potential conflicts, I need to upgrade a few hardware items before the Windows 10 install due to driver issues, including my graphics card. Not a problem, was looking for an excuse anyway, and may even...
    Hello, this morning I received a notice that Windows 10 has started to download on my desktop. I do not want to install it now. How can I burn it to a ISO file (DVD) for a later installation? My current OS is Windows 7 Ultimate. thanks in...
    So, I have both windows 7 and windows 10 installed on two computers. (Total of four operating systems) And I need to download User-Mode Driver Framework version 1.11 update for Windows 7, and Windows Server 2008 R2, but when I click 'Click here' and...
    Our Sites
    Site Links
    About Us
    Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

    Designer Media Ltd
    All times are GMT -5. The time now is 21:57.
    Find Us