Windows 10: Microsoft Security Essentials Scores Incredibly Well in New Antivirus

Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

  1. Posts : 2,630
    Windows 10x64 Home Version 1803 (Build 17134) .81
       05 Nov 2015 #50

    I only open e-mails from sites and forums I have joined
    All other mail goes to junk and I delete it without even opening it.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  2.    05 Nov 2015 #51

    hTconeM9user said: View Post
    I only open e-mails from sites and forums I have joined
    All other mail goes to junk and I delete it without even opening it.
    That's how it should be. If everybody would do that, they would eventually give up.
      My ComputersSystem Spec

  3.    05 Nov 2015 #52

    Yes, we who have been around for a while know not to open junkmail, however if you subscribe to something new for the first time it is likely to be sent to your junkmail folder. You are expecting it, so you open it. Many have a click on link to verify that this email is valid. The majority of these authentication links are valid. You are crossing your fingers and toes that it is so. Financial sites are the most vulnerable. Lots of people do online banking or investment trades these days. Many of these sites get spoofed and look exactly like the real ones - users are easily fooled. It is not always an email that gets them. Sometimes the most respected sites have ads that do not even have to be clicked on to download malware. You really never know.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  4. Posts : 558
    Windows 10
       05 Nov 2015 #53

    FrozenCursor said: View Post
    May I ask, what anti-rootkit tools do people here use?

    Mabam checks for rootkits if the checkbox is checked but many like Mbams dedicated rootkit scanner "Mbar" to check instead .

    Kaspersky's TDSS Killer is a superb rootkit scanner , Bleeping computers RKill is a super fast scanner to kill any malware processes that may be preventing regular scanners from being able to scan effectively so thats a great scanner to run first before others are used.

    Sophos anti rootkit is a top notch rootkit detector but the most highly regarded by many is GMER but it requires a thorough knowledge on how to interpret the results.

    Rogue Killer is another excellent program for detecting rootkit activity , as is Avast's aswMBR but these two should be run only when told by a certified and knowledgeable malware assistance tech .

    One of the best all around scanners that many forget about is Eset online scanner , this one finds stuff that others often miss.

    Mcafee's "Stinger" program is also very popular with people to run a complete scan with .

    None of these have ever found anything on my computer for a very long time but they will if something is on your computer.

    Using "safe mode" to run some of these scanners is recommend .
    Last edited by fredc; 05 Nov 2015 at 13:15.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  5.    05 Nov 2015 #54

    Thanks fredc. Excellent summary.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  6. Posts : 558
    Windows 10
       05 Nov 2015 #55

    Thank you Sir, i know there's a lot more out there but the ones listed are by far the most recommended by the Malware techs at all the anti malware forums i have been a part of and observed over the years.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  7.    05 Nov 2015 #56

    That was great info, but I thought HitMan Pro was suppose to be a good one too???
      My ComputersSystem Spec


  8. Posts : 558
    Windows 10
       05 Nov 2015 #57

    OldMike65 said: View Post
    That was great info, but I thought HitMan Pro was suppose to be a good one too???

    Your right Mike , forgot about Hitman Pro and it's a very good cloud based on demand scanner but the question i was responding to was asking about rootkit scanner's in particular and Hitman is more of a secondary all around scanner.

    I would put Hitman Pro in the same category as Eset's on demand scanner , both excellent but not specifically for rootkit detection.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  •    05 Nov 2015 #58

    Leopard said: View Post
    Yes, we who have been around for a while know not to open junkmail, however if you subscribe to something new for the first time it is likely to be sent to your junkmail folder. You are expecting it, so you open it. Many have a click on link to verify that this email is valid. The majority of these authentication links are valid. You are crossing your fingers and toes that it is so. Financial sites are the most vulnerable. Lots of people do online banking or investment trades these days. Many of these sites get spoofed and look exactly like the real ones - users are easily fooled. It is not always an email that gets them. Sometimes the most respected sites have ads that do not even have to be clicked on to download malware. You really never know.
    Does Outlook's preview pane not automatically open all emails in the inbox?
    Is it a risk factor?
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  •    05 Nov 2015 #59

    FrozenCursor said: View Post
    Does Outlook's preview pane not automatically open all emails in the inbox?
    Is it a risk factor?
    Problems are in attachments not in text or message itself.
      My ComputersSystem Spec


  •  
    Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

    Related Threads
    Incredibly slow file transfer in Performance & Maintenance
    It starts at around 300MB/s but after a second it drops to 20MB/s. On Windows 7 it was usually around 100MB/s. This is for transferring to second hard drive. It's even slower transferring to USB drive, about 2 MB/s.
    PC Running Incredibly Slow in Performance & Maintenance
    After upgrading to Windows 10, it's just been problem after problem... Everything on my computer is running incredibly slow. GTA 5, Flight Simulator X, all running slower than ever. Even the operating system, simply writing something, is slow....
    After I downloaded Windows 10 pro, downloading anything from the internet is incredibly slow or I loose connection completely. Please advise. Thanks, catszw
    Solved MS Security Essentials in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    WInX comes with Defender, but I prefer Security Essentials. Is there a way to upgrade to MS Security Essentials?
    Does anyone know why Microsoft canceled support/discontinued Microsoft Expression Web and why Windows Live Essentials, especially Windows Live Writer hasn't been updated in years? Both are great products but Windows Live Writer is my heartbeat...
    Our Sites
    Site Links
    About Us
    Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

    © Designer Media Ltd
    All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:15.
    Find Us