Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

  1. Joined : Oct 2013
    NW Florida
    Posts : 6,744
    Windows 10 Enterprise and Pro/Windows 7 Enterprise/Linux Mint
       02 Nov 2015 #11

    Cluster Head said: View Post
    The result of another test from Germany - August 2015



    Bitdefender - 100%

    Source: https://www.av-test.org/de/antivirus/privat-windows/
    That was the results for Windows 7. Windows 10 has a much improved version and it wasn't rated.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  2. Joined : Jun 2014
    USA
    Posts : 421
    Windows 10 Pro x64
       02 Nov 2015 #12

    CountMike said: View Post
    NOD32 is absolute ace in false positives, it drove me nuts.
    One of the things that Norton does is scan files for usage - this is if a download/file is rarely used or downloaded, Norton will "question" it and that can be alarming for some that aren't computer savvy and have to make a decision whether to keep the file or not. That's said, you can always exempt files from being scanned or flagged.

    I've got a printer program on my PC which NAV constantly false positives one of it's exe's and remove it. I've had to exempt it from being scanned and mark it as safe.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  3. Joined : Jul 2015
    Posts : 1,563
    Windows 10 Pro x64 RS 10586.586
       02 Nov 2015 #13

    essenbe said: View Post
    That was the results for Windows 7. Windows 10 has a much improved version and it wasn't rated.
    Ups....! Sorry.....!
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  4. Joined : Jul 2014
    Serbia
    Posts : 6,942
    All kinds
       02 Nov 2015 #14

    Cluster Head said: View Post
    Ups....! Sorry.....!
    Defender was not very good at the beginning so they used it as reference point to show how much better were other ones. Last 6 month or so, I have a feeling that it much improved. It caught some stuff in files I had downloaded before and it missed then. It also downloads new detection several times a day. I also check with other AVs on demand and they are not catching anything that WD missed.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  5. Joined : Aug 2015
    Maine
    Posts : 20,907
    Windows10Pro 64Bit on 2 DeskTop Computers
       02 Nov 2015 #15

    sygnus21 said: View Post
    One of the things that Norton does is scan files for usage - this is if a download/file is rarely used or downloaded, Norton will "question" it and that can be alarming for some that aren't computer savvy and have to make a decision whether to keep the file or not. That's said, you can always exempt files from being scanned or flagged.

    I've got a printer program on my PC which NAV constantly false positives one of it's exe's and remove it. I've had to exempt it from being scanned and mark it as safe.
    I just liked the fact that Norton's scored so high in the 1st report.....#2 is not a bad spot. So tired of folks flaming Norton.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  6. Joined : Jul 2015
    GWN
    Posts : 74
    W7/64 Pro
       02 Nov 2015 #16

    I remember when Symantec issued an announcement stating that AVs are no longer relevant - they provide limited to questionable safety. That was a bombshell that shook the industry. Over the following years many users dropped AVs totally - I see it on a lot of forums. They claim they have been virus free for years - even those who still use XP. Now these guys have mult-layers of security installed so it is not as if they have no protection what-so-ever., so that has to be taken into account. I understand that MSE on W7/8 has been updated to W10 Defender level. Zero-day is not an AV strength - has to be acknowledged, but for me, even though I have layered support, I still have an AV installed. MSE has improved tremendously over the past 2 years and with browser safety turned on, it is a good addition, IMHO.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  7. Joined : Aug 2015
    Maine
    Posts : 20,907
    Windows10Pro 64Bit on 2 DeskTop Computers
       02 Nov 2015 #17

    Leopard said: View Post
    I remember when Symantec issued an announcement stating that AVs are no longer relevant - they provide limited to questionable safety. That was a bombshell that shook the industry. Over the following years many users dropped AVs totally - I see it on a lot of forums. They claim they have been virus free for years - even those who still use XP. Now these guys have mult-layers of security installed so it is not as if they have no protection what-so-ever., so that has to be taken into account. I understand that MSE on W7/8 has been updated to W10 Defender level. Zero-day is not an AV strength - has to be acknowledged, but for me, even though I have layered support, I still have an AV installed. MSE has improved tremendously over the past 2 years and with browser safety turned on, it is a good addition, IMHO.
    Yeah, I also own Malwarebytes Pro, which runs right next to my Nortons. They can both be on at the same time, and get along fine. I even have a 3rd AV program, that only runs when I turn it on. So think I got things covered.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  8. Joined : Jul 2015
    Eastbourne East Sussex UK
    Posts : 2,431
    Windows 10 Home x64: 1607 Redstone (1) Build 143934.693
       02 Nov 2015 #18

    I have a third party anti virus and my laptop certainly is not slow at all
    Click on a site or forum and goes straight in
    click on Edge and goes straight in on one click so where is slow on that.
    Facebook that IE11 used to give me trouble now one click enter password and loads straight in.
    So how is that slow
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  9. Joined : Oct 2014
    Posts : 1,309
    win 10 Insider
       02 Nov 2015 #19

    The elephant in the room is that there aren't so many 'viruses' around now. Instead, virtually all infestations I see on client's computers are PUPs and AV programs don't stop these as they are invited in.

    My client record is 3,300 entries in Malwarebytes but others have seen even bigger numbers.

    I have only used MSE for years and, yes, it will let PUPs in.

    But still encouraging results from Clusterhead, even though I don't place much store in these tests.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  10. Joined : Jul 2015
    Eastbourne East Sussex UK
    Posts : 2,431
    Windows 10 Home x64: 1607 Redstone (1) Build 143934.693
       02 Nov 2015 #20

    I would rather be safe than sorry and I have always been told make sure you have your anti virus turned on.
    That was from a Microsoft Rep
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


 
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast


Similar Threads
Thread Forum
Incredibly slow file transfer
It starts at around 300MB/s but after a second it drops to 20MB/s. On Windows 7 it was usually around 100MB/s. This is for transferring to second hard drive. It's even slower transferring to USB drive, about 2 MB/s.
Performance & Maintenance
PC Running Incredibly Slow
After upgrading to Windows 10, it's just been problem after problem... Everything on my computer is running incredibly slow. GTA 5, Flight Simulator X, all running slower than ever. Even the operating system, simply writing something, is slow....
Performance & Maintenance
internet is incredibly slow or loose connection
After I downloaded Windows 10 pro, downloading anything from the internet is incredibly slow or I loose connection completely. Please advise. Thanks, catszw
Network and Sharing
Solved MS Security Essentials
WInX comes with Defender, but I prefer Security Essentials. Is there a way to upgrade to MS Security Essentials?
AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
Windows Live Essentials Updates + Microsoft Expression Web
Does anyone know why Microsoft canceled support/discontinued Microsoft Expression Web and why Windows Live Essentials, especially Windows Live Writer hasn't been updated in years? Both are great products but Windows Live Writer is my heartbeat...
Software and Apps
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:59.
Find Us
Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 10 Forums