Windows 10: Internet Explorer 11 now most used web browser in World

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

  1. Posts : 20,840
    64-bit Windows 10 Pro build 16199
       01 Nov 2014 #1

    Internet Explorer 11 now most used web browser in World


    Microsoft’s most current web browser Internet Explorer 11 is now the most popular web-surfing tool out there. According to the latest stats from analyst firm Net Applications, the Internet Explorer 11 has climbed up the order to take the baton from the widespread Internet Explorer 8 to claim the number 1 spot. Let’s see how other browsers did last month.
    Read more...
      My ComputersSystem Spec


  2. Posts : 11,238
    Windows 10 Pro
       01 Nov 2014 #2

    Almost 60% share counting all versions from IE8, that's quite impressive!
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  3.    01 Nov 2014 #3

    Waiting for the only reason is because. . .it comes install in all new windows computers, it comes with the upgrade form window . . .etc. . .oh wait. . .
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  4. Posts : 11,238
    Windows 10 Pro
       01 Nov 2014 #4

    Lee said: View Post
    Waiting for the only reason is because. . .it comes install in all new windows computers, it comes with the upgrade form window . . .etc. . .oh wait. . .
    That argument does not fully apply. Windows Media Player comes with Windows but it is not the most used media player, users install their third party preferred players replacing WMP. The same with IE; OK, it comes with Windows but it is not as often replaced as for instance the media players.

    Especially that argument is not true here in Europe where the first round of Windows Updates installs the Browser Choice which removes the IE from taskbar and Start Menu and then after next reboot is automatically run asking which browser the user wants to install and use, IE or any of the about dozen or so alternatives.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	BrowserChoice.gif 
Views:	198 
Size:	98.2 KB 
ID:	7798
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  5.    01 Nov 2014 #5

    LOL it is all in the spin-reporters

    let's look at this which shows an entirely different story
    W3Counter: Global Web Stats

    Or, let us look at this
    http://www.w3schools.com/browsers/browsers_stats.asp

    Or, this one
    http://gs.statcounter.com/

    I feel like I am viewing campaign ads from opposing parties
    Last edited by Trust_No1; 01 Nov 2014 at 18:39.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  6. Posts : 1,468
    W7 Ultimate SP1 (64 bit), LM 18.1 MATE (64 bit), W10IP VM, W10 Home
       01 Nov 2014 #6

    Chrome is ...


    Kari said: View Post
    Especially that argument is not true here in Europe where the first round of Windows Updates installs the Browser Choice which removes the IE from taskbar and Start Menu and then after next reboot is automatically run asking which browser the user wants to install and use, IE or any of the about dozen or so alternatives.
    NetMarketShare won't tell me their European figures unless I turn on geolocation, which I'm not doing.
    Why should my location make any difference to the European figures?

    What are the browser figures for Europe?

    Trust_No1 said: View Post
    let's look at this which shows an entirely different story
    W3Counter: Global Web Stats

    Or, let us look at this
    http://www.w3schools.com/browsers/browsers_stats.asp
    Chrome is ridiculously popular with W3C visitors.
    Last edited by lehnerus2000; 01 Nov 2014 at 20:47. Reason: Quote Added
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  7.    01 Nov 2014 #7

    Trust_No1 said: View Post
    LOL it is all in the spin-reporters

    let's look at this which shows an entirely different story
    Well, as the saying goes.. there's Lies, Damn Lies, and Statistics. But some are more self selecting than others. Some of these reports make an effort to create a non-biased pool of sites to gain data from, other just take whoever wants to join their list.. and those sites tend to be very tech heavy, which favors more non-IE results.

    Let's take, for instance:

    Trust_No1 said: View Post
    This one shows Safari with 15.2%. Wow. Safari is only available for MacOS if it's only counting desktop browsers (which it seems to be), and MacOS only accounts for about 7% of the market share. How, exactly does MacOS then have more than 2x the browser share than they have computers?

    If the numbers include mobile, then that would include iOS and MacOS, but then those numbers would also include Android. And MacOS + iOS is far less than than 15% of the installed base of Android alone, much less Android + everything else that might be running Chrome (or some version of it). So those numbers, just based on the Safari stats are highly suspect.

    Trust_No1 said: View Post
    Or, let us look at this
    Browser Statistics
    First.. w3schools? Seriously? Apart from the fact that they're the worst joke on the internet... ( see W3Fools ? Better web education for all ), w3schools is again very tech heavy... mostly visited by web developers which are going to be very chrome and firefox heavy. The bias is well known. In fact, look at the huge difference between safari usage in the two sites.. 15.2 vs 3.6, and chrome is almost 60% vs 40%.

    Now, Statcounter is a completely apples to oranges comparison. Statcounters stats are based on page views, not on market share. In other words, they base their stats on which browsers view the most pages and do not remove duplicate ip's or try to find unique visitors.

    In theory, users of chrome should view just as many pages as users of IE, but in practice we really don't know if that's the case.. since chrome users tend to be more technical, they may spend much more time surfing... or they may just visit a lot more pages than other people on a daily basis.. it's hard to tell. Their justification is that they count which browsers are the most USED, not the ones that have the most market share, and they also count users who use more than one browser.

    Regardless, I've seen the browser statistics for a lot of sites, some of them quite large (Millions of dollars in revenue per day), and I've never once seen one in which chrome or any other browser came even close to surpassing IE in usage on any site I've monitored. So, simply put.. My own personal experience agrees with the net applications data, and not with the others. NetMarketShare data is also similar... Market share for mobile, browsers, operating systems and search engines | NetMarketShare
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  8. Posts : 1,468
    W7 Ultimate SP1 (64 bit), LM 18.1 MATE (64 bit), W10IP VM, W10 Home
       01 Nov 2014 #8

    Mystere said: View Post
    This one shows Safari with 15.2%. Wow. Safari is only available for MacOS if it's only counting desktop browsers (which it seems to be), and MacOS only accounts for about 7% of the market share. How, exactly does MacOS then have more than 2x the browser share than they have computers?
    You can install Safari on Windows.
    Safari 5.1.7 for Windows

    I suspect that it might be installed by:

    • Web developers using Windows (testing)
    • Users that have swapped from Mac to Windows (familiarity)


    Mystere said: View Post
    ... w3schools is again very tech heavy... mostly visited by web developers which are going to be very chrome and firefox heavy. The bias is well known.
    Anecdotally this is true at my Web Development course:
    • Most people seem to use Chrome.
    • The second largest group is Firefox users
    • Only a handful of people use IE (TAFE only allows IE9 though)
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  9. Posts : 11,238
    Windows 10 Pro
       01 Nov 2014 #9

    Kari said: View Post
    Especially that argument is not true here in Europe where the first round of Windows Updates installs the Browser Choice which removes the IE from taskbar and Start Menu and then after next reboot is automatically run asking which browser the user wants to install and use, IE or any of the about dozen or so alternatives.
    lehnerus2000 said: View Post
    NetMarketShare won't tell me their European figures unless I turn on geolocation, which I'm not doing.
    Why should my location make any difference to the European figures?
    I might have presented my case in a confusing way, once again I apologize, English is my third language and I sometimes explain myself in it in such a way that it creates misunderstandings.

    Your location makes of course no difference. In my post I was explaining that regarding Europe, the fact that IE comes shipped with Windows does not explain its popularity in Europe because in accordance to EU regulations, Microsoft was forced to add the Browser Choice in each Windows sold in European Union. It very effectively changes the situation, making in fact all browsers "default" in Windows by forcing the user to decide which browser to install and set default.

    For Yankees of Aussies and who not, the IE is the default browser in Windows, many users are satisfied with it and never install another browser. For us Europeans the situation is not the same. After first updates the IE is removed from Taskbar and Start Menu and the Browser Choice will be presented. We are forced to select a browser, be it the IE or something else, which will then be installed to our system by this Browser Choice app.

    Conclusion: The reason someone from North Carolina or Ontario or Queensland is using IE can and often is the fact that as it was already installed and shipped with Windows, the user sees no need to replace it with another browser. Quite often it is not a conscious choice.

    At the same time, the reason that an European is using IE is a conscious choice; Browser Choice was and is presented, forcing the user to choose a browser. All browsers are equal, presented equally in Browser Choice, IE is not favorited in any way. User must select one, make a a conscious choice.

    From http://windows.microsoft.com/en-gb/w...-choice-update:

    What is the Browser Choice update?

    Microsoft is providing the Browser Choice update to comply with a legal settlement with the European Commission. Microsoft is required to inform customers who currently use Internet Explorer as their default browser that there are other web browser choices available. You can use the Browser Choice update to select and install the web browser you want to use on your PC.
    Click the image (it's an animated GIF, you have to click it to see animation) in my previous post to see all alternatives presented to us Europeans.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  10.    01 Nov 2014 #10

    Kari said: View Post
    Lee said: View Post
    Waiting for the only reason is because. . .it comes install in all new windows computers, it comes with the upgrade form window . . .etc. . .oh wait. . .
    That argument does not fully apply. Windows Media Player comes with Windows but it is not the most used media player, users install their third party preferred players replacing WMP. The same with IE; OK, it comes with Windows but it is not as often replaced as for instance the media players.

    Especially that argument is not true here in Europe where the first round of Windows Updates installs the Browser Choice which removes the IE from taskbar and Start Menu and then after next reboot is automatically run asking which browser the user wants to install and use, IE or any of the about dozen or so alternatives.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	BrowserChoice.gif 
Views:	198 
Size:	98.2 KB 
ID:	7798
    You should know me by now Kari that I am not series about much of anything. . .that is just for those who will want to make those augments. . .
      My ComputerSystem Spec


 
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Related Threads
What are everyones expectations of Internet Explorer 12, I say new UI.
Today i turned on my pc and the explorer.exe error appeared, i refreshed the screen and the icons appeared , but the start button didn't work , i tried to make troubleshoot but nothing... the worst part is that i can't acces the internet. Is there a...
Windows 10's speedy new Project Spartan browser will ditch Internet Explorer name | PCWorld
Internet Explorer dead in Browsers and Email
Everything was hunky dory until just after I downloaded CrystalDiskInfo via Cnet. Probably just a coincidence as I have had no trouble using either before. I E refused to start and the only option was to reload W 10 afresh.
Solved Internet Explorer Works!!! in Browsers and Email
Hi For the first time since I installed Windows 8 Internet Explorer works. On two different computers that I've had running Windows 8, Widows Explorer has not been able to display my Comcast home page, and some other pages that I use a lot. ...
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 20:19.
Find Us