Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

  1. Joined : Oct 2013
    A Finnish ex-pat in Germany
    Posts : 9,560
    Windows 10 Pro
       20 Apr 2015 #41

    badrobot said: View Post
    Kari, I am not saying I agree or disagree with you or with anyone. But what if the hackers' target is the server (which gives access to all linked accounts) and not individual accounts?
    Let's play a game and think we are bookies who advertise that with us you can make a bet about anything and everything. Now we need to calculate the odds because one of our customers wants to make a bet about this: he bets that within let's say 15 years, a hacker manages to break in to MS OneDrive servers and steal user data stored there, still in readable and usable form.

    What's the odds? How much return we promise to this customer of ours if he wins?
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  2. Joined : Jan 2014
    Carencro, LA 70520
    Posts : 7,639
    Windows 10
       20 Apr 2015 #42

    Kari said: View Post


    P.S. I forgot to ask: when your local storage breaks down or you need more space, am I right assuming you need to fix it by yourself or buy new storage media? I'm just asking because I do not know; my storage never runs out and if it breaks down, my data is stored in numerous backup servers so it's not my headache, MS just builds a new server.
    There have been situations where cloud storage has been lost due to situations not under the user control so your data is only as safe as the company you deal with and even then not 100% safe.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  3. Joined : Oct 2013
    A Finnish ex-pat in Germany
    Posts : 9,560
    Windows 10 Pro
       20 Apr 2015 #43

    labeeman said: View Post
    There have been situations where cloud storage has been lost due to situations not under the user control so your data is only as safe as the company you deal with and even then not 100% safe.
    OK, a good answer.

    Now please give me one real life example. It don't have to be MS OneDrive example, I'm OK with Google Drive, too. As we both know, an example about a startup setting up cloud storage, losing it and no longer in market is not a valid example. I am talking about MS OneDrive but will accept if you tell a real life story about the other really big player, the Google Drive, too.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  4. Joined : Nov 2013
    Toronto
    Posts : 4,288
    Win 10 Pro x64
       20 Apr 2015 #44

    Kari said: View Post
    Let's play a game and think we are bookies who advertise that with us you can make a bet about anything and everything. Now we need to calculate the odds because one of our customers wants to make a bet about this: he bets that within let's say 15 years, a hacker manages to break in to MS OneDrive servers and steal user data stored there, still in readable and usable form.

    What's the odds? How much return we promise to this customer of ours if he wins?
    No one can really say. Even Avast, an online security company, was once hacked. Sony have been hacked, not once, not twice. It's a possibility that no one can really tell when.

    I am just curious, too.

    I run my own NAS which I also access outside my home network. Although I want to believe that not one will target me as I am just a regular guy, I am still worried about the possibility (random target).
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  5. Joined : Jan 2014
    Carencro, LA 70520
    Posts : 7,639
    Windows 10
       20 Apr 2015 #45

    Kari said: View Post
    OK, a good answer.

    Now please give me one real life example. It don't have to be MS OneDrive example, I'm OK with Google Drive, too. As we both know, an example about a startup setting up cloud storage, losing it and no longer in market is not a valid example. I am talking about MS OneDrive but will accept if you tell a real life story about the other really big player, the Google Drive, too.
    This one comes to mind Megaupload.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  6. Joined : Oct 2013
    A Finnish ex-pat in Germany
    Posts : 9,560
    Windows 10 Pro
       20 Apr 2015 #46

    If the reason a user does not want to use an online storage from a provider like MS is that he / she is afraid their servers will be hacked, this same user most probably never flies, spits seven times when he sees a black cat and keeps his fingers crossed when crossing a street.

    How many users make a backup of their backup? If an external drive used for backups someday shows the nice small notification when user signs in to Windows telling "You have to format this drive before you can use it", showing as unallocated space in Disk Management, what then?

    Continuing the bookies game: for which scenario would you give smaller odds, that a hacker manages to steal your data from OneDrive, or that your backup USB3 HDD someday just stops working?
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  7. Joined : Oct 2013
    A Finnish ex-pat in Germany
    Posts : 9,560
    Windows 10 Pro
       20 Apr 2015 #47

    labeeman said: View Post
    This one comes to mind Megaupload.
    As I mentioned, I was talking about the players like MS or Google. Not a site infamous of storing and sharing copyright protected pirated stuff, users losing their data only because the authorities seized their servers to stop that kind of illegal activity.

    An example of a user getting his / her data hacked on an online server maintained by a serious service provider in the the same category and size as MS and Google. You cannot be serious comparing Megaupload to MS OneDrive?

    See Wikipedia:

    Megaupload Ltd is an online Hong Kong–based company established in 2005 that ran online services related to file storage and viewing, including megaupload.com. The domain names were seized, and the sites associated with Megaupload were closed down by the United States Department of Justice on 19 January 2012, following the indictment and arrests of the owners for allegedly operating as an organization dedicated to copyright infringement. HK$330 million (approximately US$42 million) worth of assets were frozen by the Customs and Excise Department of Hong Kong.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  8. Joined : Mar 2015
    Posts : 87
    Windows 10 Pro x64
       21 Apr 2015 #48

    Just bought a 1yr office home subscription for $100 just to sign up for this. Now to start mass-uploading everything to OneDrive Its been ages since i've bought office. (Actually I never have.) Always been piggybacking off of other people's licenses / my school gives me Office 365 Pro for 5 computers.


    Honestly I have to agree with Kari on this one. OneDrive is awesome. I have the connection speed to handle it, as well. 150/15 at the moment, going to upgrade to the 250/25 package at least until everything is uploaded to OneDrive. So no disadvantage whatsoever IMO. I am a frequent OS changer / reinstaller (often at least once a month to experiment different things) , I do services at clients homes, and if I can have all of my software repositories, disk ISOs, system images, etc in the cloud at the ready in case I don't have one of my external drive's with me, then that's awesome. The 60 international skype minutes doesn't hurt either. I've also always envisioned my iTunes being in the cloud. Well now I can do that, too. (Again, I have the internet speed to handle this)

    I can back up my phone's camera to OneDrive, documents in the cloud for school. Basically every file I ever need accessible through OneDrive from anywhere. I can back up all of our photos and important documents as well.

    IMO Office 365 is the best deal for office you can get. You always have the most up to date office client, plus now unlimited cloud storage, and the skype minutes, for basically $10 a month.

    Just my .02
    Carry on then
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  9. Joined : Oct 2013
    A Finnish ex-pat in Germany
    Posts : 9,560
    Windows 10 Pro
       21 Apr 2015 #49

    Maltesespace said: View Post
    I can back up my phone's camera to OneDrive, documents in the cloud for school. Basically every file I ever need accessible through OneDrive from anywhere. I can back up all of our photos and important documents as well.
    Just one tip although you probably have already done it: Include your OneDrive folders in Libraries, OneDrive\Documents in Documents Library and so on. Set these OneDrive folders as default save locations from libary settings and always when saving, save to Libraries. Now whatever you save, a document, a movie or video, an image, it is available locally but without you even noticing it, even uploaded to OneDrive cloud in the background.

    Makes reinstalling or upgrading with clean install a peace of cake. Just disconnect from the network, wipe the disk, reconnect network and install. When done, setup OneDrive and it starts getting your files synced, in the background. Might take a day or two before your full video library is synced and available locally but eventually it will be.

    Added bonus: whatever happens to your PC, however catastrophic HD failure, all your personal data will be always intact and protected, just a few mouse clicks away.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  10. Joined : Mar 2015
    Posts : 87
    Windows 10 Pro x64
       22 Apr 2015 #50

    Kari said: View Post
    Just one tip although you probably have already done it: Include your OneDrive folders in Libraries, OneDrive\Documents in Documents Library and so on. Set these OneDrive folders as default save locations from libary settings and always when saving, save to Libraries. Now whatever you save, a document, a movie or video, an image, it is available locally but without you even noticing it, even uploaded to OneDrive cloud in the background.

    Makes reinstalling or upgrading with clean install a peace of cake. Just disconnect from the network, wipe the disk, reconnect network and install. When done, setup OneDrive and it starts getting your files synced, in the background. Might take a day or two before your full video library is synced and available locally but eventually it will be.

    Added bonus: whatever happens to your PC, however catastrophic HD failure, all your personal data will be always intact and protected, just a few mouse clicks away.
    Actually I hadn't heard of this, but will do it. Sounds good. Thank you

    As an aside, I tried running a NAS (budget WD My book live 2tb, paid around $200 for it) and after 2 years it was really slow even over gigabit->gigabit. Not worth it when Office 365 home w/unlimited OneDrive is $99 per year.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


 
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast


Similar Threads
Thread Forum
Solved How to check storage space in OneDrive
While searching online, I haven't found a way to check on available storage in OneDrive. I have Build 9926, it is installed on my system, but I don't see how to check on available storage and how to buy more. The explanations I see online pertain...
General Support
Solved 100 GB OneDrive storage FREE for 2 years
Offer expires Feb 28, 2015 Join Bing Rewards and receive a free 2 year subscription for 100 GB of storage on OneDrive. Bing explore rewards: OneDrive This is marketing! You can subscribe to Bing rewards to get the offer and then...
General Support
Office New cloud storage integration for Office
Source: http://blogs.office.com/2015/02/17/new-cloud-storage-integration-office/
Windows 10 News
Review: Younited by F-Secure, free secure cloud storage
Kim Dotcom & downfall of Megaupload, Edward Snowden & NSA leaks and many other recent news have accelerated the discussion about privacy concerns regarding online communications and services. Giant US companies like Microsoft and Google are...
General Support
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 21:05.
Find Us
Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 10 Forums