Microsoft to Discontinue Old Internet Explorer Versions in January

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
  1. spapakons's Avatar
    Posts : 2,891
    Windows 10 Pro 64-bit 202H (Nov 2020 build 19042.867)
       #40

    Unfortunately Java is required to use web-banking, at least this is true for Eurobank, Alpha Bank etc we have here in Greece. If the browser doesn't support Java, you just cannot do anything, you must use another browser. Also some advanced web games use 3D graphics based on Adobe Shockwave rather than Flash. Shockwave is not supported in Edge. There are many other examples of what you cannot currently do with Edge.
      My Computer

  2. z3r010's Avatar
    Posts : 9,922
    Windows 10 Workstation x64
       #41

    If your bank requires you to have Java then it's time to get a new bank.
      My Computers


  3. Posts : 46
    64-bit 10240 10 Pro
       #42

    spapakons said:
    Unfortunately Java is required to use web-banking, at least this is true for Eurobank, Alpha Bank etc we have here in Greece. If the browser doesn't support Java, you just cannot do anything, you must use another browser. Also some advanced web games use 3D graphics based on Adobe Shockwave rather than Flash. Shockwave is not supported in Edge. There are many other examples of what you cannot currently do with Edge.
    I do not use IE or Edge and never will, but speaking of Java there is an update for it today.
      My Computer

  4. spapakons's Avatar
    Posts : 2,891
    Windows 10 Pro 64-bit 202H (Nov 2020 build 19042.867)
       #43

    z3r010 said:
    If your bank requires you to have Java then it's time to get a new bank.
    Not really convenient... Why not make Edge support Java? What's the problem?
      My Computer

  5. z3r010's Avatar
    Posts : 9,922
    Windows 10 Workstation x64
       #44

    Because Java is a massive security risk and getting rid of it is the best way to fix it.
      My Computers

  6. spapakons's Avatar
    Posts : 2,891
    Windows 10 Pro 64-bit 202H (Nov 2020 build 19042.867)
       #45

    Gary said:
    I do not use IE or Edge and never will, but speaking of Java there is an update for it today.
    Too bad it doesn't work in Edge, only in IE and other browsers.

    Edge doesn't support Java for "security reasons". This is the more stupid excuse they could use. Allow Java on Edge and make sure you cover all security holes so there is no risk using it. Or at least allow users to use it at their own risk, like Firefox is doing.
      My Computer

  7. Jody Thornton's Avatar
    Posts : 487
    Windows 8 Pro x64
       #46

    spapakons said:
    Too bad it doesn't work in Edge, only in IE and other browsers.

    Edge doesn't support Java for "security reasons". This is the more stupid excuse they could use. Allow Java on Edge and make sure you cover all security holes so there is no risk using it. Or at least allow users to use it at their own risk, like Firefox is doing.
    Sorry but the sooner you rid of insecure technologies like Flash and Java; the better. I NEVER install Java now. If a site needs it, I don't use it, and I've never had any challenges in that respect (so that shows where web developers are on the matter).

    See folks? I don't always hate change. Now forgive me, but I need to go wind up my gramophone
      My Computer

  8. spapakons's Avatar
    Posts : 2,891
    Windows 10 Pro 64-bit 202H (Nov 2020 build 19042.867)
       #47

    Yes, very clever, if we are unable to fix it, just get rid of it! And screw compatibility with most of the sites still depending on these technologies! Very clever move indeed! Thanks God IE 11 is still available, albeit hidden, in Windows 10, so I can forget about Edge (for the time being).
      My Computer

  9. Jody Thornton's Avatar
    Posts : 487
    Windows 8 Pro x64
       #48

    spapakons said:
    Yes, very clever, if we are unable to fix it, just get rid of it! And screw compatibility with most of the sites still depending on these technologies! Very clever move indeed! Thanks God IE 11 is still available, albeit hidden, in Windows 10, so I can forget about Edge (for the time being).
    Actually, ridding of Flash and Java is a widespread effort amongst browsers and platforms. HTML5 has tremendous potential for video and animation. Now Java was originally meant as a portable non-OS specific platform to develop applications. But we have lots of other more secure portable development tools; we just have more secure technologies now. And yes, when support is yanked (or put on life support), it's the fastest way to accelerate that MUCH NEEDED change.

    Flash is now becoming non-obtainable on the Linux and Solaris platforms (and it's not even compatible with iOS - and don't diminish the importance of that). You can use old revisions for now, but that will be short lived. And Java has been criticized for trojans and malware infecting .jar files for more than a decade. All site developers are becoming encouraged to embrace HTML5 for this reason.

    The amount of sites with compatibility issues will become lesser and lesser as they switch to new rendering technologies. This needs to happen (especially from a security standpoint)
      My Computer

  10. larc919's Avatar
    Posts : 3,095
    Windows 10 Pro x64
       #49

    Jody Thornton said:
    Actually, ridding of Flash and Java is a widespread effort amongst browsers and platforms.
    But don't throw the baby out with the bathwater. Get rid of Flash and Java only when there are replacements that will do what Flash and Java do and at least as well.
      My Computer


 
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

  Related Discussions
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:04.
Find Us




Windows 10 Forums