Windows 10: Next big Windows 10 release will ease activation hassles

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
  1.    13 Oct 2015 #11

    Hi All,
    New guy here and new to Windows also! Does all this mean that in the near future I might be able to upgrade my 7 PRO to 10 PRO? Ideally though, what I'd love to do is upgrade my 8.1 HOME that came with my confuser to the 10 PRO using the product key from 7 PRO, while keeping 7 PRO active on the same confuser in a dual boot configuration. Yeah right, like I could get away with that!
    Just Curious Though?
    Gene
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  2. Posts : 1,634
    W7 Pro x64 | W10 IP x64 | Linux Mint VM
       14 Oct 2015 #12

    groze said: View Post
    I guess the insiders are currently testing it.
    How/why would Insiders use an OEM 7/8 key to activate?
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  3.    14 Oct 2015 #13

    Boozad said: View Post
    How/why would Insiders use an OEM 7/8 key to activate?
    Well I have a machine which I'm testing Previews on, never had an RTM, I built the machine and bought Windows 7 OEM for it. So hopefully I wont have to go back to Windows 7 and I should be able to just put the OEM key in to activate it.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  4. Posts : 1,634
    W7 Pro x64 | W10 IP x64 | Linux Mint VM
       14 Oct 2015 #14

    Then you would no longer be an Insider.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  5.    14 Oct 2015 #15

    Boozad said: View Post
    How/why would Insiders use an OEM 7/8 key to activate?
    Not to be a Richard Head, but did you read the whole thread, as well as the "More" link in the original post and the link in post #4? It seems to be all about "Clean" installations and likely getting 10 Pro by already having 7 or 8 Pro, as well as a few other probable/possible benefits. I know that I would sure be torqued to end up with a "FREE" home version of 10 in return for having given up a "PROFESSIONAL" vrsion of 7 or 8 that I had paid for!
    Just Sayin'
    Gene
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  6. Posts : 964
    dual boot W10 10586th2/14291 rs1 Win. Insider since Jan. 2015
       14 Oct 2015 #16

    groze said: View Post
    I guess the insiders are currently testing it. So, next month it will come out to the general public. I am curious if the insiders were aware of this change. I read the insider postings but not every thread.
    It's front page news at ZD Net probably at most of the othert web zines as well
    http://www.zdnet.com/article/next-bi...ation-hassles/
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  7. Posts : 964
    dual boot W10 10586th2/14291 rs1 Win. Insider since Jan. 2015
       14 Oct 2015 #17

    windoz said: View Post
    Not to be a Richard Head, but did you read the whole thread, as well as the "More" link in the original post and the link in post #4? It seems to be all about "Clean" installations and likely getting 10 Pro by already having 7 or 8 Pro, as well as a few other probable/possible benefits. I know that I would sure be torqued to end up with a "FREE" home version of 10 in return for having given up a "PROFESSIONAL" vrsion of 7 or 8 that I had paid for!
    Just Sayin'
    Gene
    Right AFAIK on an in place web upgrade/ install W10 checks and gives you what you have...it did on 2 PC' s updated to RTM here .

    OTOH if you download the wrong one on a clean install it may install/ activate a downgrade or not untill the change happens . ☻☻
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  8.    14 Oct 2015 #18

    Boozad said: View Post
    Then you would no longer be an Insider.
    That's right, but if I didn't have the OEM key, I'd have nothing. One day I'll stop being an insider and this will be an easy step back to RTM, which by rights is the way it should be.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  9. Posts : 2,554
    Windows 10 x64 Home Build (Redstone(1)) 15063.608
       14 Oct 2015 #19

    When I went from windows 8.1 to windows 10 my key was changed so what happens if I do a full reinstall.

    What key will it use as I have no record off any key only the windows 10 one.

    Also looking in control panel if I wanted to go back now it has told me I would go back to windows 7.

    Also when new update comes out will it go over the top of my one I am on now
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  10.    14 Oct 2015 #20

    hTconeM9user said: View Post
    When I went from windows 8.1 to windows 10 my key was changed so what happens if I do a full reinstall.

    What key will it use as I have no record off any key only the windows 10 one.

    Also looking in control panel if I wanted to go back now it has told me I would go back to windows 7.

    Also when new update comes out will it go over the top of my one I am on now
    If you're on RTM and its fully activated you shouldn't have to put in a key to do a reinstall, the servers should activate you, but things can go wrong, so I'd do a backup before doing anything and make sure the backup works.

    If something goes wrong and you haven't got a key you're pretty much screwed without a backup.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


 
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Related Threads
Updating an Insider Preview copy to official? Downloading an ISO and formatting and fresh installing the official release? Upgrading directly from Windows 7, or 8? I think I will let this temp installation of Windows 7 receive the update,...
Windows 10 release license question in Windows Updates and Activation
Hello as you know, windows 10 will be a free upgrade for win7 users. And as you also know, people have the ability to transfer their windows license (retail) to a new pc. Now my question is if the following scenareo is valid: I, a windows 7...
Windows 10 Release Date in General Support
Does anyone here believe that Windows 10 will be very likely to come out in June 2015 or is that wishful thinking? I want it now so badly but I would hate to have to wait until September or even July or August. Microsoft needs to speed things...
Hi there anybody else got this -- trying to personalize PC -got you need to activate windows before you can personalize PC. Now what do I do !!!!!?! Is this normal (I did an UPDATE rather than a new install BTW). Cheers
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 16:18.
Find Us