Page 17 of 68 FirstFirst ... 715161718192767 ... LastLast
  1.    14 Oct 2015 #161
    Join Date : Oct 2014
    Posts : 480
    Windows 10

    Quote Originally Posted by Wynona View Post
    Hmmm, I have a very old HP laptop that I was going to put Ubuntu on, but I guess I can install Windows 10 on it and then see if one of my older unused Win 7 Ultimate keys will work. Gotta be tomorrow, tho.
    Just hurry up will ya, this is driving me crazy.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  2.    14 Oct 2015 #162
    Join Date : Feb 2015
    Left coast but not a progressive liberal
    Posts : 964
    dual boot W10 10586th2/14291 rs1 Win. Insider since Jan. 2015

    Originally Posted by blutos cousin
    I noticed a cool significant change we been waiting for at Control Panel > System > Advanced System Settings > System Properties > HDWE > Device Installation Settings . i.e. Windows Auomatic driver updates and set mine accordingly ☻ :
    Attachment 42506
    Quote Originally Posted by NavyLCDR View Post
    That's been in there since at least build 10240.
    Not this one you are thinking about the one carried over from Windows 7 that's been in all the test builds via control panel ( that doesent work in Windows 10 anyway ) this one is new with build 10565 also via contol panel and not in RTM yet either .

    I have 2 Win 10 RTM PC's , this dual boot RTM /10565 configuration and Win 7 x64 on the workastation
    and 10565 is the only build with this new device installation setting dialog next to the radio button as it stands today .
    Hopefully it *actually* works now in Windows 10 ☺
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  3.    14 Oct 2015 #163
    Join Date : Oct 2013
    A Finnish expat in Germany
    Posts : 13,102
    Windows 10 Pro

    Quote Originally Posted by BillyBob View Post
    As far as I can see you can install a Preview and then put in a Previous Win 7 or 8 key to activate, maybe I'm reading it wrong.
    @BillyBob, it looks that you are right. I had to test this, have just now finished installing Windows 10 Pro Build 10565, a clean & fresh install on a machine that has never before had any kind of Windows installed and was most certainly not flagged as valid for Windows 10 activation by MS activation servers.

    I used a retail Windows 8.1 Pro key for this installation, it was accepted without issues and Windows 10 is permanently activated, partial key showing the generic Windows 10 key although installation and activation was done with a 8.1 Pro key. Anyway, no issues whatsoever, Windows 10 is activated on a new machine with a Windows 8.1 key without any previous Windows installations, qualifying or not.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2015_10_14_06_09_061.png 
Views:	6 
Size:	153.7 KB 
ID:	42658

    Quote Originally Posted by Cbarnhorst View Post
    I think you are reading it wrong. You cannot use a Windows 7 or 8 key to install 10. You can only use such a key if you have upgraded already from a copy of Windows 7 or 8 AND the key is the same one that activated that 7 or 8.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wynona View Post
    Yes, that's the way I read it too. I would add: on the same machine.
    @Cbarnhorst, @Wynona, see above, looks you read it wrong.

    Kari
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  4.    14 Oct 2015 #164
    Join Date : Oct 2014
    Posts : 480
    Windows 10

    Yeah that's pretty much how I read it, but hey you never know, lately we've been hearing some funny stuff. This is really good as it will save a lot of headaches that's for sure.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  5.    14 Oct 2015 #165
    Join Date : Jul 2015
    Posts : 777
    Windows 10 Pro x64 Build 17046

    Quote Originally Posted by Kari View Post
    @BillyBob, it looks that you are right. I had to test this, have just now finished installing Windows 10 Pro Build 10565, a clean & fresh install on a machine that has never before had any kind of Windows installed. I used a retail Windows 8.1 Pro key for this installation, it was accepted without issues and Windows 10 is permanently activated, partial key showing the generic Windows 10 key although installation and activation was done with a 8.1 Pro key. Anyway, no issues whatsoever, Windows 10 is activated on a new machine with a Windows 8.1 key without any previous Windows installations, qualifying or not.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2015_10_14_06_09_061.png 
Views:	6 
Size:	153.7 KB 
ID:	42658



    @Cbarnhorst, @Wynona, see above, looks you read it wrong.

    Kari
    Then now, the question comes to: the retail 8.1 pro key is a fresh one out of box, or it has been used for other installation before?
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  6.    14 Oct 2015 #166
    Join Date : Oct 2013
    A Finnish expat in Germany
    Posts : 13,102
    Windows 10 Pro

    Quote Originally Posted by jyusa View Post
    Then now, the question comes to: the retail 8.1 pro key is a fresh one out of box, or it has been used for other installation before?
    Fresh, never used. Repeating the test now with a retail 8.1 Pro key which has been used before, both for a clean install and to upgrade to Windows 10.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  7.    14 Oct 2015 #167
    Join Date : Jul 2015
    Posts : 777
    Windows 10 Pro x64 Build 17046

    I wonder why MS would give up their profit! If this is true, buy 7 pro out there through distribution is about half or 3/4 price than a 10 pro!
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  8.    14 Oct 2015 #168
    Join Date : Oct 2013
    A Finnish expat in Germany
    Posts : 13,102
    Windows 10 Pro

    Quote Originally Posted by jyusa View Post
    I wonder why MS would give up their profit! If this is true, buy 7 pro out there through distribution is about half or 3/4 price than a 10 pro!
    This is pure speculation, only my personal subjective opinion, only based on facts as we know them at the moment: It looks that MS has deliberately chosen a lenient activation policy, at least for this first year they promised free upgrades to all those running a qualifying OS.

    The fact that it now seems to be possible to activate Windows 10 on a clean install, new hardware using a Windows 7 or 8.1 product key does not change the policy MS has chosen in any other way than removing one unnecessary step. For MS it is totally irrelevant how the qualifying OS and its key is used, either first installing the qualifying old OS and activating it with its key, then upgrading it to an activated Windows 10, or letting the consumer do it easier without needing to install the old OS first but instead, use the old key directly on a clean install. The end result is the same, an activated Windows 10.

    In that sense, MS is here basically making a big favor for us users, letting us to save time in case we have a qualifying product key, a clean install without the time needed to first install the old OS and then upgrade it.

    Another question is then that it also looks that especially the retail keys, both Windows 7 and 8.1 can seemingly be reused. This is the part I do not understand; it looks at the moment that I could install Windows 10 on several virgin computers (= new hardware, never had any qualifying OS) using one and same 7 or 8.1 key. Buy one key, install on 10 computers. That is in my opinion wrong and not as MS had intended. We'll see if this remains as it is now or if it will change.

    Kari
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  9.    14 Oct 2015 #169
    Join Date : Jul 2015
    Posts : 777
    Windows 10 Pro x64 Build 17046

    Quote Originally Posted by Kari View Post
    This is pure speculation, only my personal subjective opinion, only based on facts as we know them at the moment: It looks that MS has deliberately chosen a lenient activation policy, at least for this first year they promised free upgrades to all those running a qualifying OS.

    The fact that it now seems to be possible to activate Windows 10 on a clean install, new hardware using a Windows 7 or 8.1 product key does not change the policy MS has chosen in any other way than removing one unnecessary step. For MS it is totally irrelevant how the qualifying OS and its key is used, either first installing the qualifying old OS and activating it with its key, then upgrading it to an activated Windows 10, or letting the consumer do it easier without needing to install the old OS first but instead, use the old key directly on a clean install. The end result is the same, an activated Windows 10.

    In that sense, MS is here basically making a big favor for us users, letting us to save time in case we have a qualifying product key, a clean install without the time needed to first install the old OS and then upgrade it.

    Another question is then that it also looks that especially the retail keys, both Windows 7 and 8.1 can seemingly be reused. This is the part I do not understand; it looks at the moment that I could install Windows 10 on several virgin computers (= new hardware, never had any qualifying OS) using one and same 7 or 8.1 key. Buy one key, install on 10 computers. That is in my opinion wrong and not as MS had intended. We'll see if this remains as it is now or if it will change.

    Kari
    Is this works just for this build only? Or now works for 10240 too? Since it controlled by ms server!
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  10.    14 Oct 2015 #170
    Join Date : Oct 2013
    A Finnish expat in Germany
    Posts : 13,102
    Windows 10 Pro

    Quote Originally Posted by jyusa View Post
    Is this works just for this build only? Or now works for 10240 too? Since it controlled by ms server!
    I'm running tests now with 10565 installs, various scenarios. Next I will try the same with official RTM build 10240 and an old (7 or 8.1) retail key. I can answer you within an hour
      My ComputerSystem Spec

 
Page 17 of 68 FirstFirst ... 715161718192767 ... LastLast


Similar Threads
Thread Forum
Insider Announcing Windows 10 Insider Preview Build 10532 for PC
Source: Windows 10 Insider Preview Build 10532 for PC | Blogging Windows How to Start or Stop Receiving Insider Builds in Windows 10 How to Check for and Install Windows Updates in Windows 10
Windows 10 News
Insider Announcing Windows 10 Insider Preview Build 10525
Source: Announcing Windows 10 Insider Preview Build 10525 | Blogging Windows How to Start or Stop Receiving Insider Builds in Windows 10 How to Check for and Install Windows Updates in Windows 10
Windows 10 News
Insider Announcing Windows 10 Insider Preview Build 10166
Source: Announcing Windows 10 Insider Preview Build 10166 | Blogging Windows Preview Builds - Check for New Windows 10 Builds . Windows 10 Home Insider Preview build 10166 product key: KTNPV-KTRK4-3RRR8-39X6W-W44T3 Windows 10 Pro...
Windows 10 News
Insider Announcing Windows 10 Insider Preview Build 10158 for PCs
Just available on my machine. AMEN. Rich 22747 UPDATE: Whoa! Another Windows 10 PC build! Build 10159 - Windows 10 Forums
Windows 10 News
Insider Announcing Windows 10 Insider Preview Build 10130 for PCs
Source: http://blogs.windows.com/bloggingwindows/2015/05/29/announcing-windows-10-insider-preview-build-10130-for-pcs https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/2451-preview-builds-check-new-windows-10-builds.html
Windows 10 News
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:00.
Find Us
Twitter Facebook Google+ Ten Forums iOS App Ten Forums Android App



Windows 10 Forums